MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

*&#%#$ poison ivy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: *&#%#$ poison ivy Reply with quote

I always thought I was impervious to the stuff, as I've been exposed to it so many times and have never gotten a rash from it, but it appears that my lucky stretch has come to an end. I've got this itchy rash on my forearms and it looks like poison ivy reaction... so far, it seems mild, but I am seriously hoping it doesn't get any worse.

Has anyone here had any experience with over the counter remedies that work well for poison ivy rash?

Embarassed <---- hopefully, my face won't look like this
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: *&#%#$ poison ivy Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
Has anyone here had any experience with over the counter remedies that work well for poison ivy rash?

I have had it several times this year in multiple places on my body. The most severe occured after the CITO event (Moe also had it) on my right forearm.

I tried clear caladryl lotion but that really didn't do much other than make my arm feel gross. The best remedy I found was to run water as hot as you can take it over the area. It feels good and hurts at the same time but I was usually itch free for several hours after that.

I made sure to keep the weeping clean and not to scratch as you WILL scar but contrary to popular belief it will not spread. If you are noticing patches elsewhere that is just because the oil has taken longer to penetrate into those areas of your skin (ie thighs take longer than forearms).

It will likely take a week to get going really good and another 7 to 10 days to clear up.

Enjoy Wink
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poison Ivy
(Lieber/Stoller)

She comes on like a rose
And everybody knows
She'll get you in dutch
You can look but you'd better not touch

Poison ivy, poison ivy
Well late at night when you're sleeping
Poison ivy comes a creeping all around

She's pretty as a daisy
But look out man she's crazy
She'll really do you in
If you let her get under your skin

Poison ivy, poison ivy

Measles make you bumpy and mumps'll make you lumpy
and chicken pox'll make you jump and twitch
A common cold'll cool you but whooping cough'll fool you
but poison ivy's gonna make you itch

You're gonna need an ocean
of calamine lotion
You'll be scratching like a hound
the minute you start to mess around

Poison ivy, poison ivy

Measles make you bumpy and mumps'll make you lumpy
and chicken pox'll make you jump and twitch
A common cold'll cool you and whooping cough'll fool you
but poison ivy's gonna make you itch

You're gonna need an ocean
of calamine lotion
You'll be scratching like a hound
the minute you start to mess around

Poison ivy, poison ivy

La la la la
La la la la
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
DJTRACKERS
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go the the laundry section of any store and get a bar of Fels Naptha soap. It is old fashioned lye soap, but it cuts the oil of the poison ivy. Calamine lotion and its derivatives are worthless. It is not a gentle soap, but it does the trick. IF you can take Benedryl, it should help with the itch.

Dale
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really good at spotting it and staying out of it....

but I need to learn how to train my dog how to spot it and not run thru it....

I have figured out that she gets the oils on her coat then transfers it to me.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I have figured out that she gets the oils on her coat then transfers it to me.

I'm confused as to how I got it during the CITO as there were no leaves on stuff yet. I assume that the oil was somewhere and was transferred over but I had it so bad that I just can't believe that I didn't rub it directly on my arm.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I know where I got it. The ground in one of the parks I cached in last Sunday was absolutely covered with the stuff. I tried hard to avoid it, but perhaps it was hiding underneath something else, and I just didn't see it where I was rummaging around.

Right now it's tolerable, just a few spots here and there on the arms. I heard about something called "Tecnu"... seems to cut the oil and soothe the rash. It got rave reviews from several sufferers who contributed their rash stories to www.poison-ivy.org. I think it's over the counter.

On that poison ivy website, there are some personal stories of people's bouts with poison ivy (as well as some gross pictures of rashes). My curiosity got the better of me and I read a few of them. One of the worst ones was the tale of how a hiker accidentally used poison ivy leaves when he ran out of toilet paper. Oh man, that would just suck.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burt's Bees also make a poison ivy soap that has rated fairly well.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talkin to a local cacher in washington and he seemed to think the biggest way you get that oil on you is if the leaf from a poison ivy plan is bruised or damaged. Not quite sure how that holds true.

Bummer deal though, I know I've never had a reaction to it yet, but I do tend to get extremely cautious when I spot the stuff (which I'm fairly adequate at doing).

One more nice thing about winter caching though, there's less of a risk of gettin it then.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tec nu is good, but applying it correctly can be time-consuming: two minutes for each spot.

I have to disagree with the spreading: I tend to get it on my hands, and it spreads to my forearms due to the position in which I sleep (when I do sleep)

IF it gets really really bad, there is an oatmeal bath that works wonders.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I have to disagree with the spreading: I tend to get it on my hands, and it spreads to my forearms due to the position in which I sleep (when I do sleep)

Once the oil has seeped in and is no longer located on your body it cannot spread. You may still have it on your clothes, sheets, etc (all of which would have to be washed seperate from materials that were not graced by the oil's gift).
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*&#%#$ poison ivy

Did buzzygirl swear ??
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*&@%$&! RIGHT I DID!! Very Happy

Actually, I'm feeling much better now. I went to Walgreen's during my lunch break and the pharmacist recommended Benadryl cream. I got the maximum strength kind. It seems to help a lot.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Did buzzygirl swear ??

Just looks like a bunch of $#!+ to me.
Team Hooligan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes the good old ivy. I used to have more than my fair share of bouts with it until I learned more about it. Yes it is the oil that attaches to your skin and bonds and which causes the rash. No you can not spread it once you break out, nor can you give it to other people. However, the oil can remain on other objects, like clothing, rake handles, etc for up to a year. So be sure to immediatly wash all clothes that may have come in contact with the plant. Your best line of defense is to carry a large bottle of rubbing alcohol in your vehicle. You can use generous amounts of alcohol on the area where you think you came in contact with the plant and it will break the bond of the oil. This only works before the rash breaks out, but is effective up to two or more hours after contact. Soap and water is only effective in breaking the bond very soon after contact. I used to get a lot of poison ivy up at my cabin, but now thanks the industrial size jug of rubbing alcohol we have been itch free for years.

In the case of buzzygirl, if you would have rinsed off with rubbing alcohol after being at the cache you would have been fine. Won't help you this time, but next time it will save you a world of itch.

TH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: