MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baylor Regional Park Stargazing Event: November 6, 2004
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the word on this? I checked the weather forecasts and it looks like it'll be a clear evening.

Any word on who's going? I'm assuming the event never did get approved, but is there an intended meeting spot at 7? Anyone planning on caching earlier in the area? Any new news from Buzzygirl?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
So what's the word on this? I checked the weather forecasts and it looks like it'll be a clear evening.

Any word on who's going? I'm assuming the event never did get approved, but is there an intended meeting spot at 7? Anyone planning on caching earlier in the area? Any new news from Buzzygirl?

I am planning on attending.
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about going to this....even have a couple of telescopes....should I bring them? Then again I'm on call again this weekend...but maybe could trade.....
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try to make it. I'll be dragging the kids along. Wifie-poo has to work. I talked to my Dad, He will try to come along with us. He is a member of the MAS.

Shane
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dachebo: sure, bring along a scope or two. The more the merrier!

Twenty-Seven: Cool! Hope to see you out there.

I have heard that the weather is supposed to be nice and the skies clear...
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:

For some reason, I am no longer subscribed to this thread, so I didn't see this until today... yep, the event's still on, and the weather is supposed to be good. So come on out!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, I'm assuming we're meeting at the observatory itself at 7pm?

I know KB's two caches at Baylor are going to be gone after that evening, but he also mentioned a 3rd in the park. Would that be yours Buzzygirl? Is that one doomed to go away as well?

I'll do my best to get there, will bring my scope as well, it's a Meade 114 EQ-A Model 4.5" F/8 Equatorial Mount Newtonian Reflector. Kinda a pain as far as portability, but I'd love the chance to learn how to set it up properly.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Sounds good, I'm assuming we're meeting at the observatory itself at 7pm?

I know KB's two caches at Baylor are going to be gone after that evening, but he also mentioned a 3rd in the park. Would that be yours Buzzygirl? Is that one doomed to go away as well?

I'll do my best to get there, will bring my scope as well, it's a Meade 114 EQ-A Model 4.5" F/8 Equatorial Mount Newtonian Reflector. Kinda a pain as far as portability, but I'd love the chance to learn how to set it up properly.

I will be out there earlier in the afternoon to do some work on the observatory roof, but everyone can show up around 7:00, or when it gets dark. My cache is the third one in the park, and it'll be there until mid-April of next year.

Bring along your scope... I can help you set it up. Do you know how to do a polar alignment? If not, I can show you how to do that too, it won't take long. You just need to know how to find Polaris (the "North Star") and a little bit about how equatorial mounts work as opposed to the usual altazimuth style.

See you out there!
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a waypoint for this? Or something that would get me close. I MIGHT decide to show up for the event. If I don't fall asleep on the way. Will have about 75 hours in this week at work by the time I get done on Saturday afternoon.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This coordinate will get you to the observatory: 44 deg, 48.664, 093 deg. 56.445. Let me know if you would like a map of the park and the major highways to the area, I'll be glad to e-mail it to you.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
Bring along your scope... I can help you set it up. Do you know how to do a polar alignment? If not, I can show you how to do that too, it won't take long. You just need to know how to find Polaris (the "North Star") and a little bit about how equatorial mounts work as opposed to the usual altazimuth style.

I've heard about doing a polar alignment, but I'm not sure on the technical aspects on how to do that. When it comes to Telescopes, I'm about as much a newbie as I am to HAM radio...

My scope comes with a clock drive, though in the manual it says the scope should be properly balanced for it to work. I might try and bring it along to get an opinion. Perhaps you could show me how to properly balance the scope too.

If I get that much learned it would be a good start, I might haveta bring along a notebook Smile
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polar alignment and balancing the tube are real easy to do, and I can pretty much guarantee you won't need to write down what to do once you've done them once. In fact, these are two things that you should NOT read a manual to learn how to do, rather, you should have someone who is familiar with them show you how.

See you tomorrow night!!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't go up north this weekend. Depending on my son's tournament tomorrow, the wife and I plan to be there.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... say, one more thing, if any of you have a pair of binoculars laying around, just any old binoculars, you might want to consider bringing them. You would be amazed how much more you can see even with a simple pair of binoculars in semi-dark to dark skies. I have also seen a number of bald eagles in this park, so there is some (large) bird watching to be had too. The name of the lake in Baylor Park is called Eagle Lake, so guess it follows.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a pair of binoculars, I'll bring them along in case someone wants to use them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: