MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why you don't go to events?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

I don't go to MNGCA events because.
I have a conflict for that day.
56%
 56%  [ 14 ]
Just not interesting in hanging out with other cachers.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Maybe would go but not a high priority for me.
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Hey, I was there! Back off.
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 25

Team Hooligan
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Why you don't go to events? Reply with quote

Some of us were discussing at the recent campout why some people don't attend events. Thought I would start a thread and poll as to why? We had about 25 to 30 people throughout the weekend, but I know WI campouts attract many more. Any ideas?
~Team Hooligan.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... my reason wasn't listed.

Basically my car was on the fritz this weekend and I didn't want to get stranded up there and pay for the tow home Smile Plus I'm on a mission to get to 500 by October 1st, and it's VERY important that I do. I just figured the best course of action was to stick in an area closer to home and cache as much as possible. Luckily my car played nice the whole time.

If not for those things, I would have loved to go, I've been to a few events and enjoyed them, can't see why I wouldn't in the future.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me...its all about conflicts of interest and time....
I almost always make an event at 9ish p.m. during the week!!!

I hate to say it like this but I "charish" my weekends...I often have to work 2 or 3 weekends out of the month....so When I don't have to work I try to spend time with my family doing the things they like to do......

I thought it was going to get easier with the girls growing up but ...I forgot about swimming, gymnastics, hockey, school, etc...what the heck....those kids are screwing up my caching.

The way I see it...I need to win the POWERBALL...Quit work....and Hire a full time Nanny, a full time coach, a full time cook....and then I might be able to go caching......
also...think of the prizes in my caches when I win.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse for missing Bowling Get Sauced: started too late.
Excuse for missing Fairbault event was kids (can't recall reason).
Excuse for missing camping event was Fall Baseball (kids).
Looks like we'll make it to the Twins Get Sauced.
Probably make it for Baylor Park astro event and/or Spring Lake Park. But I've said that before and some kid thing comes up and I can't go.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you add another option to that list? How about..... Too far to drive?

I have been to a couple of events, but with them that far away. I have to leave home while it's still dark and most of the time I don't get home till it's dark or long after.... If I knew for sure that I wasn't going overseas I would plan some type of event out my direction.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'd sure like to go, but don't really consider it. Why I don't know.
I'd really like to meet people face to face. Perhapps I would feel better knowing them. I've never met a single other geocacher in person (besides friends and family). What are the events all about? I saw some camping. I love camping. Is it just like an event where you compete for caches? I think I would love to go!
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have loved to do a camping event-- I LOVE to camp but don't do nearly enough of it-- but I had previously (as in weeks ago) volunteered to do observatory duty with my astro-club this past weekend. I would love to do more things with MN geocachers. I've planned to be at the next "Get Sauced" event at the Dome, so hope to see some of youse there!
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a no brainer for us. I only get every sixth Saturday off. And my caching partner has to work every Saturday.
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 reasons: 1 is 4 years old and the other is 2 years old.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for me I've made some and not made some.

The breakfast events are usually the easiest for me to make.

The weekly night caching is hit and miss with me as sometimes it's work, sometimes it's kids, and sometimes I can cache.

The "Get Sauced" events are usually harder as they are usually pretty far away and I have to be at work pretty early.

The campout. Well lets just say that I put 29 hours on my timecard for Saturday and Sunday. Work is a bit@h.
northtrekker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous committment kept me away from the 'Event' this year. I hope to make some of the gatherings and will try to keep track of options as they come up. The park you were at is just down the way from a family cabin. It would have been a treat to meet you folks! Thanks for getting me into geocaching! Wink

NTrek
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had every intention of making the camping event, but I had Guards--I normally have Guards the first weekend of the month, and I'm used to it being the second weekend in September, but this year, 9/11, or Patriot Day, fell on Saturday, so Guards was the third weekend. Also, my version of "Lumberg" thinks I'm available to work on any Saturday I don't have Guards--the owner and most of the management don't have a life outside of work, and they seem to think nobody else does, either.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh.. yeah, we're also gonna have to have you go ahead and come in on Sunday mmmmk?" -Lumberg
Dances With Beehives
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to get my "day job" I had to agree to be "on call" every third week. I've been caching for a little over a year, and have yet to see an event I can get to. But hope to hit one soon. It should change to once a month soon, otherwise, see you on the trails.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted with time conflict, but in truth it's more distance. Though busy schedule of duaghters does play a big part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: