MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mall of America Cache.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Mall of America Cache. Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi folks. I have a good friend that developed a cache similar to my Mall of America Cache at a popular tourist stop in Owatonna, MN. It did not get approved due to possable advertising and not needing a GPS to do it. My question is this.

1. Does the general Geocacher like this type of caching?

2. Is there room for more types of this kind of caching?

3. Should I Archive MOA cache?

It has been visited 239 times in the last 17 months. No damage done to the environment. Convenient for travelers and families.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Kidatheart
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: MOA should stay Reply with quote

I have yet to visit this cache but when I travel up from Red Wing with my family I do plan to complete this cache. My wife is not always able (or willing Crying or Very sad ) to go out to most locations. The MOA cache she has actually said that she would like to complete this one Very Happy . I know that for the most part a GPS is not required, but this type has allowed my wife to be more involved with my hobby that I have found to enjoy.

As for more of this type. . .i have no opinion as of yet. Confused
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Mall of America II cache. Please don't archive it. Not sure about all others, but I enjoy all types of caching, even indoors that doesn't require a gpsr.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I never understood how the MOA cache was ever approved in the first place.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could just be that our favorite .com is trying to figure out how to make money on this type of thing and won't approve anymore caches of this type until they actually have their hands in pocket somehow... Twisted Evil
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with RJ.....

but....

I have a BIZ location approved......it was very hard to do....

I had to prove that it was unique and in no way would you feel pressured to BUY anything or spend money.

The location at the MOA is that kinda place...if you spend money here to support the cache your NUTS and to have a cache in the MOA is cool.

(I like telling my friends that ask me about geocaching.....to try the MOA cache as you don't need a gps and you can try it first).

Look ...MTN-MAN reads our board and if its totally wrong he will archive it anyways.....
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:

Look ...MTN-MAN reads our board and if its totally wrong he will archive it anyways.....

And then we blame Kitch.... Wink
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I had to prove that it was unique and in no way would you feel pressured to BUY anything or spend money.

While the "participating store" isn't exactly unique you certainly aren't pressured to spend money in there. I have been there twice I think (once to log it and once to grab some bugs) and I never felt pressured to do anything.

I don't agree with it being in a commercial location but that it really isn't up to me.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is certainly not the first time I've held the minority opinion. Laughing

First of all, pressure to buy or not, it just doesn't get any more commercial than the MOA.

Secondly, I don't see how this can be considered a geocache. It would be more appropriately listed on the letterbox site.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
a geocache. It would be more appropriately listed on the letterbox site.

You don't hold the minority opinion here. I agree with you completely that no cache belongs in a commercial setting. I assume this one (because of its age) was permitted before they started being anal about a lot of cache placements...

You're right about the letterbox though... In fact, the other "virtual that isn't listed as a virtual" should be removed as well.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mall of America Cache. Reply with quote

bobhiker wrote:
3. Should I Archive MOA cache?
no --- it is a fun find for out of towners who would be at the Mall anyway -- how many people have stated they went and found it while the wife/kids/in-laws/etc were off shopping or doing Camp Snoopy? Lots!

Face it - MOA is a MN tourist destination, people are going there, cache or no cache.

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Actually, I never understood how the MOA cache was ever approved in the first place.
It used to be *another* cache in *another* life Wink

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I have been there twice I think (once to log it and once to grab some bugs) and I never felt pressured to do anything.
True - I've been there a couple of times too and the people at the store are always friendly and have never said or implied anything about a purchase of any kind.

(..... now if you moved it over to the Apple store, I might feel some pressure to impulsively buy something - cash or no cash Cool )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been there, but think it's really cool.
Comercial? Sure - what the heck...
For one, it's really popular! MOA - come on!
Secondly, so it advertizes.... WHO CARES?
If you don't like it, don't go there.
Nobody is forcing you to go and get the cache,
or spend money! You can't complain about
something which is your own choice.

I think it's brilliant!
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighSky wrote:
If you don't like it, don't go there.
Nobody is forcing you to go and get the cache,
or spend money!

I haven't, and I won't.

Quote:
You can't complain about something which is your own choice.

Umm, if you read the start of this thread, our opinions were asked for.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't, and I won't.

I really could care less...
Personally, I think the candy stores should be caches! Yum Huh?

Quote:
Umm, if you read the start of this thread, our opinions were asked for.

Ah, sometimes I read them and sometimes I don't. The point actaully was moreso applying to the people who complain, and aren't asked for it. (Funny, cause there seems to be more complaining when it's not asked for then when it is?)

It's all good - no hard feelings...
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The store in Owatonna is Cabella's. I have been there many times to look around. I honestly can say that I have never bought anything on any visit. He does not mention anywhere in the cache page the word Cabella's. I think it is a great place for a cache. There is so much to see and do there.
I had a different cache, edited it, and moved it to the Mall of America. That's how it got there. It was never approved there. I have never heard a complaint about it. Even the title tells you where it is. I have never bought anything at the participating store either. It gets many visits. Many folks are out of towners on vacation. I think it is a great cache. Keep the great comments coming. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: