MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GIRLSCOUTS/GCing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: GIRLSCOUTS/GCing Reply with quote

We were contacted by the Girl Scout leader in Ely,MN to come and instruct the girls in GPS's and GCing. It went well. There are 12 girls in the troop. We explained GCing in basic terms and then sent them out in teams of 3 with our 2 GPS's to locate a cache that had a secret word in it. We had hidden a small cache on the property before the meeting. To be extra careful we notified the shcool what we were doing so they didn't think we were doing something illegal.They then came back and told us the secret word and we gave them a GC caching pencil. There were several girls in the troop already familiar with GPS's. Pretty could for 10-11 year olds!
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of starting an Explorer Post through the BSA (Boy Scouts of America). I can't decided whether I want to make it Aviation related, or GPS work and caching. It would be fun to do both. Perhapps I can combine the two somehow. This is something that will meet once a month, and you don't really have to meet to take part. It is open to both guys and girls of any age! We will likely do things such as tour the Cirrus plant in Duluth, the 3M fleet of GVs, Minnesota Jet Headquarters, and much more. If there is any interest amongst anyone, just let me know!
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighSky wrote:
I am thinking of starting an Explorer Post through the BSA (Boy Scouts of America). I can't decided whether I want to make it Aviation related, or GPS work and caching. It would be fun to do both. Perhapps I can combine the two somehow. This is something that will meet once a month, and you don't really have to meet to take part. It is open to both guys and girls of any age! We will likely do things such as tour the Cirrus plant in Duluth, the 3M fleet of GVs, Minnesota Jet Headquarters, and much more. If there is any interest amongst anyone, just let me know!

Have you contacted your local BSA council? There may well be an avaiation-related explorer post nearby already. I believe that Duluth has (or had) one associated with the Air National Guard. There may be one in the metro as well.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually live about a block away from the new Central MN Council Headquarters. I attended the last meeting, which is where it was brought up. Appearently there was an aviation post in the central MN area, but it fell through when SunCountry quit finacial support. It is my plan, along with the former post leader to begin a new one...
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighSky wrote:
Appearently there was an aviation post in the central MN area, but it fell through when SunCountry quit finacial support.

I was in Explorers for 3 years, and we worked for the Post for our financial support. In fact, we made so much money working for the Post, that we all:

1) Got an all expense paid trip to Philmont (of course we camped)
2) Got an all expense paid trip to Daytona Beach and Disney World (yeah, we camped)
3) Made $3.25/hour working for the Post, on top of the above, for spending money.

Now, this was in 1972-1974. So pardon me, but why would a Post depend on (beg for) corporate support for its very existence? Apparently, the leaders needed to be replaced anyway.

You get a good leader, make a plan on how you are going to make your dough, and then spend it on camping or flying or whatever. But the post should be able to support itself with the labor of the members.

-Rick

P.S. We all took flying lessons as well, even though that was not our focus. That was a freebie donation, but not central to our existence. Our focus was "Science, Math, and Engineering".
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea at all!
I'll investigate - thanks.

I was on the 615K6 Expedition in Philmont in 1997.
It's one of those things like being an Eagle. You just
can't explain it to someone else. But when you come
across someone who has been there, you just smile,
cause you know what they know, and visa-versa...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: