MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mall of America Cache.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've got no problems with it. As they say, if ya don't like something, don't do it. I enjoy geocaching in all forms, and anything that adds a different spin on it keeps things interesting (Provided it's done in good taste).

Sometimes I'd almost rather go up to a store clerk (not completely knowing if I'm in the right store or not) and ask for a geocache than go out in a busy section of town or along a bridge or near an airport or a large powerline pole. You know, places that muggles in this day and age of suspicion like to see people caching there and raise an eyebrow, or get an itchy cell phone finger. Of course I've done all the aforementioned styles of caching, regardless, hoping that one of these days I don't happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But to each their own. The more styles of caches you have, the more people interested in those different styles will be interested in the sport.

Rules and regulations are all well and good, but I geocache for the recreation, and never did care for a bunch of rules and regulations governing how I go about having fun Wink
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our family has done the MOA cache, and everybody enjoyed it. Especially my wife, who hasn't enjoyed outside geocaching ever since the bugs at "Rebecca Park".

My only complaint with it is that there isn't enough "field" work. I think you could update it a bit. Maybe make it require visiting the roofs of both parking structures to get clues (but don't say so in the description). Perhaps one or two more outside locations around the mall before you go in and finish without GPSr.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno.. counting the cars on the rollercoaster was a little challenging Smile
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree that both caches are in commercial locations, but I'll also agree that one isn't compelled to spend any money at either spot--one can go to MOA and spend a few hours in the place and not spend a dime, same goes for Cabela's. The Cabela's cache does require one to go to one specific commercial establishment, but then, so do the "Get Sauced" event caches we've had, and those were approved, weren't they? So, keep the MOA cache, and keep pushing for them to approve the Cabela's cache.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=30993011-ce20-40d9-9dae-f0b6476315ed

I really don't want to archive this one, since it's one of my *milestone* caches, and it's *dedicated* to an achievement by my son.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=30993011-ce20-40d9-9dae-f0b6476315ed

Quote:
With dyl1231 and oshdog6. When we left the house today for the Breakfast Buddies event, we figured this would be our "plan B" in case of a downpour. Well, downpour it did, and we figured we'd hit this cache and go bowling instead. So we showed up at 9:15 AM only to find locked doors! It worked out OK, though. By the time we got near another cache, the rain had mostly stopped. So this trip was just the delay we needed.

Someday we will be over there again and the weather will turn bad. And we are gonna get this cache while Moe has a near miss with a lighning bolt in the woods. Yum, fried Moe-steak. Makes a great sandwich, too.

-Rick
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a guy trying to get to the "terrain 5" cache at the NB Cabela's. These indoors caches can be quite challenging...

Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

I really don't want to archive this one, since it's one of my *milestone* caches, and it's *dedicated* to an achievement by my son.

One of the harder cache's I've had to do....we could see it ...but just couldn't reach it for the longest time....

Covert Cache in Wisconsin is along the same lines.....so I'm sure there is a bunch of them out there and I'd hate to see them get all locked down.....
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
Covert Cache in Wisconsin is along the same lines.....so I'm sure there is a bunch of them out there and I'd hate to see them get all locked down.....

Some were grandfathered in (ie Covert, MoA, 12 Strikes)... New ones should have to adhere to the current guidelines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: