MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The importance? of numbers...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, do I ever feel inferior when I read of people finding 400+ caches. I hit 50 a couple weeks ago and just placed another one this evening (it hasn't been approved yet).
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzygirl wrote:
Boy, do I ever feel inferior when I read of people finding 400+ caches. I hit 50 a couple weeks ago and just placed another one this evening (it hasn't been approved yet).

Numbers mean jack... In fact, some of the most enjoyable caching I have ever had was doing one in a day. It becomes less like fun and more like a job when you crank out the numbers on a consistent basis.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not racing anyone, don't need that pressure. I'm so busy at work and raising a kid that geocaching is something I fit in now and then. I have a vacation planned in early November... I am planning to visit my family in Arizona, and I've already put a whole bunch of Phoenix-area caches on my watchlist.

I may need to take some days off before then, however. My boss told me that I HAVE to take a vacation soon, because I have so many days accumulated that I cannot carry all of 'em over to next year. Who can take a vacation?! That's what happens when no one else can do your job, I guess.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I know many cachers way ahead of me in numbers, and many way under, and some even that started after I did that are catching up and will most likely pass me.

Personally I don't care too much about how many finds someone else has. Milestones are great, no matter if the cache is your 10th or yout 1,000th, and deserve the congrats all the same.

If some people want to compete for numbers, or FTFs or whatever, that's fine, let em. All that you really get is bragging rights anyways, and I never care to brag (besides I don't think my numbers or FTFs will ever gain me any respect Wink ). I've set my own goals that I like to accomplish, and that's really the only reason my numbers go up. Besides it's not like I'm going to beat out Minnesota or Moe or even Articabn anytime in the foreseable future, nor would I care to.

Congrats on the 50 Buzzygirl, you're just as much a geocacher as the rest of us.
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I am having fun, that is what's important. I guess I really don't have any particular fascination for FTFs either (yet). I am just happy I can find the darned things at all!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am just happy I can find the darned things at all!

I'd like to be happy. Maybe I need one of those new-fangled devices too.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, when I was the MN cacher with the greatest number of finds, I felt some pressure from my own competitive instincts to keep ahead of everyone. Once 'Minnesota' passed me by, it was kind of a relief!
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
It's funny, when I was the MN cacher with the greatest number of finds, I felt some pressure from my own competitive instincts to keep ahead of everyone. Once 'Minnesota' passed me by, it was kind of a relief!

Good point Moe. Probably another good reason I'm not trying to beat out everybody in numbers, too hard to stay there (at least for myself).
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Probably another good reason I'm not trying to beat out everybody in numbers, too hard to stay there (at least for myself).

I'm only concerned with my own goals. I was making some pretty steep ones there between January and May but I really didn't care much over the summer. Too many other things to be doing.

The best part of taking some time off this summer was the abundance of new caches that have popped up for me to do Smile
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be meeting my goals so far with the game. Currently I'm trying to reach 500 by my Washington trip the first weekend of October (which means I really gotta get crackin on my finds).
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
I seem to be meeting my goals so far with the game. Currently I'm trying to reach 500 by my Washington trip the first weekend of October (which means I really gotta get crackin on my finds).

I have a goal of 1000 MNGCA forum posts by Oct 1st. I have quite a bit of tripe to post Wink Wink Wink

Laughing
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
I have a goal of 1000 MNGCA forum posts by Oct 1st. I have quite a bit of tripe to post Wink Wink Wink

Laughing

That's a lot of yakkin', Silent Bob!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
That's a lot of yakkin', Silent Bob!

I blame Kitch.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I wrote sometime back that it's not always about numbers. It's about the challenges that I set for myself. The question had arose about caching as individuals or in groups. I think that the answer then also applies now for me.

Geocaching has many different aspects. I sometimes monster cache trying to get 30 or 40 in a single day. Not necessairly for the numbers but for the challenge of creating a plan and then trying to execute the plan successfully.

On other occassions it's more of a challenge to clear something specific. Like trying to say " Hey SB, I've done all of your caches, when are you going to get something new out?" And yes Bill I know you have a new one to the East which I need to go do.

On other occasions I just want to go out with my kids and enjoy their company and I'm only looking to get one or two done in a day.

However, I will admit that for several months I was pushing very hard to catch SB. Only because of all of his taunting about my finds.

Geocaching is what you make it for yourself. I don't see any awards or prizes being handed out for the most finds. Nor do I see very much bragging going on from individuals who do have (to include myself) achieved significant levels of success. On the other hand I do see quite a few people acknowledge the exploits of our more senior members and holding them in high regard and honor.

Hey as long as the sats stay lit we have a game to play. Enjoy it for yourself is the best you can hope for.

Walk On
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
On other occassions it's more of a challenge to clear something specific. Like trying to say " Hey SB, I've done all of your caches, when are you going to get something new out?" And yes Bill I know you have a new one to the East which I need to go do.

Yeah, there's one out there by someone I have never heard of that I need to go do as it keeps showing up on my closest unfound from my new coordinates... The realities of the warm weather and life keep me from my true loves but what can you do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: