MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early fall colors?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gettin-away
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Early fall colors? Reply with quote

I'll be driving up from southern Michigan next weekend (Sept. 10th-11th) with my brothers for a week of canoing in the BWCA. I'm hoping to hit some caches from Duluth to Ely on the 11th and 12th and also on our return trip on the 18th. We are hearing that the colors are starting to turn earlier this year then previous years. (We always came the same week and usually everything is still very green.) So.....what are the chances of us seeing some color in the trees? Is it looking good or is it about avarage? This trip I'm coming up with 4 of my brothers and a nephew. Our biggest caone party yet (6). Two of them have never been to this area so we are hoping northern Minnesota will show us her best (and she's never failed us yet).

Thanks
gettin-away
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was caching in Duluth and points south today and the foliage is still fairly green. I doubt if it will change much in a week, but I get to Superior most every day, so I will keep a watch out.
When you go, check out Hawk Ridge. I grabbed it as a locationless today and there is a regular cache near there. When we got there, we saw a pair of bald eagles, several turkey vultures, some broad winged hawks, sharp shinned hawks and a couple of ospreys. The migration should be more by next weekend. Check HERE for more info. You won't regret going there. I didn't get to some caches I programmed because we spent a lot of time there. Very interesting!
gettin-away
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion about Hawks Ridge. We will have some time to kill, waiting for my brothers flight to arrive and we were trying to figure out some things to see. This sounds like something we would like.

And thanks for the color report. We always plan our trip on the same week and it's always been very green. We've been hearing, down here, that the colors are coming early. With a couple of first timers with us we were hoping for the works. But either way its one beautiful trip.

Thanks
gettin-away
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Duluth Reply with quote

There are some excellent caches in the Duluth area as well!
gettin-away
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished doing a pocket query of the area we will be driving through. Across the UP of Michigan, Wisconsin and Duluth up to Ely. They are already loaded on my Plam and ready to go.

Thanks again
gettin-away
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trees are just starting to turn in Duluth/Superior now. The colors will be looking good sometime next week I think.
gettin-away
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayfarin Stranger posted
Quote:
The trees are just starting to turn in Duluth/Superior now. The colors will be looking good sometime next week I think.

Perfect......We leave Friday afternoon. Saturday we will be in Duluth, Sunday in Ely. Monday thru Friday the BWCA. Thanks for the color reports, we are all eager to get there.....especially the one flying in from Florida.

Any hurricanes brewing on Superior??? Wink

gettin-away
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be too early for the "Gales of November"..... Very Happy
gettin-away
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to date a girl named Gail.....Superiors gales pale compared to her. Shocked

gettin-away
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few illegal caches in the BWCA that need to be removed. FTF is also last to find.
gettin-away
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas posted
Quote:
There are a few illegal caches in the BWCA that need to be removed. FTF is also last to find.

I noticed this....if we get close to any I'll see what I can do.

gettin-away
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there will be some scheduled burning, too. There's a short story in the StarTribune. I haven't looked for a link.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to do an annual fall color flight over Northern MN every year. I haven't been keeping up on my research, but it sounds like I better plan to do that pretty soon huh? I figured the colors would come down towards the cities before up north? Isn't that usually the way it works?

The other fun one, is a Fireworks flight over Forest Lake/Marine area on the 4th of July! That is an absolute blast! Got to watch for other planes though, cause there's other people with the same ideas...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: