MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blocked from Geocaching.com?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Early Starts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Blocked from Geocaching.com? Reply with quote

Just after saving a bunch of cache pages to my laptop, I now get the following message when I try to access geocaching.com from that same IP address:

You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.geocaching.com home page.
You can click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Internet Explorer
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the How Long will it be down thread. It appears to be back up at the moment... [crossed fingers]
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a new item groundspeak could add to it's online store. Rubber balls with the goecaching logo on them Laughing
Early Starts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Blocked from Geocaching.com? Reply with quote

No, it is not from the site being down. I am blocked.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am blocked.

ooh, that's just one step from being banned:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=4e13fd8b-bbc6-4e84-aeee-0f16efa6cf50

sorry, I know it's not funny. What do you mean, blocked? Can you log on?
Early Starts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Not Banned! Reply with quote

Shortly after the server/firewall changes at geocaching.com, I was going to go caching with my laptop and I set it up to "make available offline" a search for caches. I came back an hour or so later and saw that it was set to download pages 3 links deep so it was only a little bit done downloading a massive number of geocaching.com web pages. I canceled the download and next time I tried to get on to geocaching.com I got the "forbidden" error.

It seems like my IP address was flagged because I could get to my account using any other computer using a different IP address except my laptop connection IP. I figured that buxley's or rickrich or others who bring over lots of data would have had the same problem.

It is not that I am blocked or in trouble with the site. I think that their system watches for people who are downloading tons of pages and it flags that IP address and does not allow it to continue accessing the site.

And then again, I could be wrong....
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried emailing them about your problem? contact@groundspeak.com
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Not Banned! Reply with quote

Early Starts wrote:
I figured that buxley's or rickrich or others who bring over lots of data would have had the same problem.

For the record, my tools insert delays between page requests and also only download the minimum number of pages needed to fill the request. I don't know what Buxley's does. I have never experienced being locked out.

These new fangled browsers with page read-ahead, etc. can and are be far more aggresive than well-written tools.

BTW, if you want the HTML cache web pages, you can take a .gpx file (from a PQ or from my tools) and convert it back to HTML with fizzymagic's "gpx2html". Its a perl script and he has a ready-to-go .EXE of it for Windows users. I have a slightly modified/improved (*) version of it in my tools package, but I don't provide a .EXE version so Windows users need to install perl to use my version.

-Rick

(*) I do feed my changes back to fizzy, but he so far has ignored them.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea yea,,, i'm forbidden to post on the GroundSpeak forums...
Oh well?

I was thinking maybe a GroundSpeak darn it Doll rather than a ball.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighSky wrote:
Yea yea,,, i'm forbidden to post on the GroundSpeak forums...
Oh well?

WHY??
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so excited to promote my site (with really no intention of pissing anyone off) and they brought the hammer down on me. It's my own fault, for trying to advertize. So I've got no one to blame but myself. It has been a learning experience. Anyways though - the termoil ended up doing a bit of auto-promoting itself! Ha... Now I've learned to NOT cross post, and be more respectful. That's about it! The thing is, I really don't care too much about it. I just go on with my life. If I really ever cared, I could of course just get a new username, but I don't...
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread talks about this.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=80388&hl=
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Early Starts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thread is not the same as what I am seeing. I still can't get on from my laptop's IP address, however, I don't care much since I don't usually use it. I am not going to persue it.

I think it might have more to do with what is going on to Buxley's site:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=79831&st=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: