MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cross posting cache listings
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DID I MISS SOMETHING OR IS THE POST I WAS REPLYING TO NO LONGER PRESENT?

i know this has been discussed in the past, and is off topic here, so i won't ask for an explanation about the pros and cons of alternate sites.

but if there is anyone with expertise about the pros and cons of various sites and any rules for or against multi-listing caches, could you perhaps put the information into the form of an article for the front page? (it needs some new content!) i don't have a lot of hides, and don't have a lot in the planning right now -- (save for 1 that i will get to sooner or later, rickrich) but i would be willing to multi-list my existing caches.

are there many navicache users out there who do not use geocaching?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardware wrote:
but if there is anyone with expertise about the pros and cons of various sites and any rules for or against multi-listing caches, could you perhaps put the information into the form of an article for the front page? (it needs some new content!) i don't have a lot of hides, and don't have a lot in the planning right now -- (save for 1 that i will get to sooner or later, rickrich) but i would be willing to multi-list my existing caches.

I multi-list all my caches as I get around to it. I usually do the navicache listing after I have the geocaching listing approved. It just makes it easier for me that way.

AFAIK there is no rule about you multi-listing your own caches. Navicache has been concerned with my adoption of caches in the past but after a quick explanation exchange they approved them.

I don't personally know of anyone that has visited my caches SOLELY on navicache but I am sure that they are out there.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally write up my caches on the gc.com site and hit submit. Immediately after that I bring up the navicache submit cache page in another browser window and cut and paste the cache info from one to the other. It only takes a couple extra minutes to do this, and if I have photos to upload they are readily available. I submit to gc.com before nc.com only because gc.com takes longer to approve. So I give them a 2 minute head start.

Without exception, nc.com has approved my caches well before gc.com has. If the caches are submitted during the day, they are approved within an hour or two. I've had caches with no issues take 3 days with gc.com, and I don't like the fact that our caches are almost always approved en-masse around 12AM, which gives unfair FTF advantage to late night birds like myself. I prefer the caches to be approved more-or-less as they come in during the day, as nc.com tends to do. But I digress.

Anyway, I dual list now as an example in the hope that someday a critical mass of caches are dual listed with no restrictions on the use of the data. This will allow me to do things with the cache information that gc.com currently prevents me from doing, at least in public.

As an example: with an unrestricted database I could provide travelers with a database of caches within a few miles of their route. Only the most persistent users of gc.com PQs and 3rd party tools can do that today, and they are prevented from sharing such information. There is no hope that Jod will ever provide that service with an easy to use web interface. But the army of unpaid professional and hobby programmers, such as we have an abundance of in the geocaching community, can easily provide these types of services and many more.

Even though it seems futile to dual list at this time, I urge all cache owners to do it anyway. With your cooperation, someday we will have a large and unfettered database.

-Rick
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reply i wrote was originally to a post about another web site, gpsgames.org. i only looked at the site for a few seconds. what do we know about it?

i'm beginning to think i have ADD, or something of that nature, so sitting down to cross post my caches may take me a while, but i will try to start on it, particularly since i failed to win the lottery last week.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardware wrote:
the reply i wrote was originally to a post about another web site, gpsgames.org. i only looked at the site for a few seconds. what do we know about it?

Scout is the owner of that site he would be the best one to discuss what it is.

From what I see the name pretty much explains it... Games played with a GPS.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I finally double posted my caches to Navicache.com. Now if only everyone else would do it as well.... It would really increase the number of caches on Navicache if we could talk "The King" into doing it!
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
It would really increase the number of caches on Navicache if we could talk "The King" into doing it!

We already help him maintain them do you think that we are all going to want to help him cross-post them too? Wink
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We already help him maintain them do you think that we are all going to want to help him cross-post them too?

Sounds like an offer to me !

When navicache.com was starting up, with my permission someone there listed them for me.

I have no problem with it, but it's something that I'm probably not going to do.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I looked at the 50 newest and a bunch of mine are on there. I didn't list them, but I don't mind if they're listed, except:

Is someone else getting credit for them?

How do you log one? The link goes to the geocaching.com page.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
OK, so I looked at the 50 newest and a bunch of mine are on there. I didn't list them, but I don't mind if they're listed, except:

Is someone else getting credit for them?

How do you log one? The link goes to the geocaching.com page.

What list of 50 newest are you looking at? I find only one of your caches in the 50 newest on nc.com...
Code:
$ nc-newest -n50 -otiger | grep Boreas
-93.196833,45.079333:redpin:Bulwer Junction Railroad Station by King Boreas
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/minnesota.shtml

There's a couple more. Some got bumped off. I was looking at 10/12/04 list.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buxley's list is the union of new gc.com and nc.com submissions. Well, it used to be. Until Jod decided his servers could handle the user load that Buxley's list and maps had been handling for years, and cut Buxley off.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Buxley's list is the union of new gc.com and nc.com submissions

makes sense now. thanks rick
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
Buxley's list is the union of new gc.com and nc.com submissions. Well, it used to be. Until Jod decided his servers could handle the user load that Buxley's list and maps had been handling for years, and cut Buxley off.

Yeah, obviously it was Buxley's causing the problems when the site was going up and down Sunday and Monday. The Jodfanatics were blaming Columbus Day as being a big logging day. Riiight.

Next?
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would those be Jod-hovas witnesses?
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: