MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a GPX file of MN caches with logs.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Early Starts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Looking for a GPX file of MN caches with logs. Reply with quote

I am a newbie at this so you will have to let me know if this can't be done or if there is a better way to do it. I have setup my pocket queries to cover the state and I take them with me on my Palm when I go caching. I really like to read the online logs that are listed for each cache when I am out and about, but pocket queries only gives me five logs for each cache.

I noticed that GSAK keeps the old logs when it is updated so I will have all of the logs from now forward. I was thinking that if somone has been running GSAK for a while, they will have a nice log history that they could export as a GPX file and I could merge with my file. Anyone? Or is there a better way to get logs out of gc.com?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a GPX file of MN caches with logs. Reply with quote

Early Starts wrote:
Or is there a better way to get logs out of gc.com?

There is a better way but GC.com doesn't support or care for its use Wink
Early Starts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a GPX file of MN caches with logs. Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
Early Starts wrote:
Or is there a better way to get logs out of gc.com?

There is a better way but GC.com doesn't support or care for its use Wink

I'd only need to do it once...... to fill in the data that I thought I paid for......
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my geo-* tools for Linux, you do this:
Code:
$ geo-newest -n2000 -H html MN > junk
$ geo-html2gpx html/*.html > all-mn.gpx

This will take about 3 hours to run because it sleeps between fetching pages, and should only be run in the wee hours. You could also use geo-nearest, geo-found, geo-placed, etc. to fetch the pages based on different criteria.

-Rick
Early Starts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks! It is sure good to have you around... I will try out your tools soon.
Early Starts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Got it! Reply with quote

With much help from rickrich and others, I got it! I now have all MN caches with all logs loaded into GSAK. Thanks for the help!
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help. BTW, this is a better set of commands to get the whole state, including temporarily archived caches...
Code:
$ geo-newest -X "" -n2000 -D1 -H html MN > junk
$ geo-html2gpx -b html/*.html > all-mn.gpx

IMHO, gc.com should generate all-state PQ files with all logs on a daily basis. In the case of larger states (like CA), perhaps split into North, Central, South. Then, they should allow members to download them once per week (and it would use up all of your PQ credits for that day). That would be a good start towards addressing customer requests.

If you look back thru the gc.com forums, you will see a variety of posts requesting a similar feature. You will also see the gc.com shills shoot down the idea over and over because "they don't need it", or "you don't need it", or "do it my way", or "you should get organized and decide where you want to cache a few days in advance".

Well, customers want to work "their own way". I certainly do. I have planned to cache a certain area the day before, only to change my mind the day of. Sometimes because of FTF activity, sometimes because the kids didn't want to do those, sometimes because an errand came up, etc.

I've also suffered a few times when I took a long drive figuring to drop a TB "way out there" or attend an event, only to discover that I didn't have the cache descriptions with me for that area. 500 hundred caches only gets me 18 miles from my house, and its probably worse than that if you live near downtown. You have to switch to multiple PQs by date placed, and thats a pain in the butt for most people to set up.

And then there is the infamous "5 log" limit in PQs... "Found using Moe's coords" times 5. But then you don't have Moe's coords if all you have is a PQ. That is not a hypothetical, it really does happen.

There are organized people, and there are unorganized people. And you can't train one kind to be the other kind. Unorganized people just flit from "nearest cache" to "nearest cache", reading the descriptions in the car once they have already arrived at the parking. gc.com really does a poor job of addressing this type of customers needs.

-Rick (uses "3-pile" filing system)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: