MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check this out! - GeoPhantoms!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Check this out! - GeoPhantoms!!! Reply with quote

Hello,

Open these links in seperate browser windows to reference:

#1.
www.geocaching.com/map/getmap.aspx?lat=45.450867&lon=-93.56295

#2.
www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=45.4603&lon=-93.565667&datum=nad83&u=7

Link #1 shows a small area near Fremont Lake in Zimmerman from the map on GC.com. Link #2 shows the same area on a Topozone.com map. Note the red X on the topozone map in corrospondence with the cache locations on the GC.com map. Note that they are quite some distance apart from eachother. The red X marks the place that I found a tin specifically marked GC.com. How can it be, that a tin such as that can be laying in the middle of the woods with visits from known geocachers when it is not accounted for on the GC.com website? My only thoughts are that it is part of a multi from some other location. Can anyone verify for me that it is in fact part of a multi cache, and verify which one? If it is not a multi, who would place such a thing, and for what purpose???
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Check this out! - GeoPhantoms!!! Reply with quote

HighSky wrote:
How can it be, that a tin such as that can be laying in the middle of the woods with visits from known geocachers when it is not accounted for on the GC.com website? My only thoughts are that it is part of a multi from some other location. Can anyone verify for me that it is in fact part of a multi cache, and verify which one? If it is not a multi, who would place such a thing, and for what purpose???

Maybe it's an archived cache (shown or not shown)?

It could be a cache that was never listed for whatever reason (it happens). I have one now that is in place but not listed that I will probably pull in the near future as I wasn't thrilled with the location once I placed it.

Like you said, it could be a multi.

Did it have a logbook? If it's got a logbook (which it should if it's a gc.com cache anyway) then you should be able to narrow it down by checking out listed cache entries on the website to logbook entries in the physical book.

This sounds like a KB cache... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask you how you found the cache in the first place....
Did you have cords to look there???
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an archived cachehttp://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=44d6ad85-e7e2-4081-b153-c54c53fcb8bc
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess is confirmed-

Did you leave it, or trash it out? Hopefully it gets pulled, so as to avoid any unneeded geo-litter-
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pto wrote:
my guess is confirmed-

Did you leave it, or trash it out? Hopefully it gets pulled, so as to avoid any unneeded geo-litter-

My guess is confirmed??? WHAT GUESS???
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't want to mention this earlier, but it is actually the newest logged Swiss location. Why this was done I do not know. I was there, saw the log and the GC.com stuff, and left it. I would guess, that someone probably logged those coordinates for one of two reasons:

#1 They may have logged them, to recycle an old cache. After all, if it is archived, but still exists, why leave it sit in the woods? Why not recycle it somehow either as a new GC.com cache, or a Swiss! This is a great idea, but I fear it is not the real reason.

#2 Someone wants to make a point is my second guess. With the intent to confuse someone looking for a Swiss, they logged the coordinates to this abandoned cache. From a Swiss perspective, I'd have liked to take it, relieve it of the GC.com stuff, and send it on it's way as a swiss. That, however is probably what they wanted me to do, which I did not. Since it is somehow logged on the GC.com site, it will be left alone.

Here's my thoughts: If there actually is a Swiss placed right on top of this abandoned GC.com cache, FINE! That's absolutely just fine. Is it confusing? Sure, but just fine. If someone intentionally logged coordinates, for the purpose of fraud on the Swiss site, oh well. I cannot possibly keep individuals from sabatoging the system, just like GC.com cannot. All I can say, is that they are only cheating themselves if that's true... On another note, the revised swiss site is not up and running yet either. Once it is, it will eliminate many of these little issues.

(It is not certain that KB set this up, but is likely. A game? Hmm, I have no interest in playing such immature games...)
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is confirmed??? WHAT GUESS???

I guessed (only to myself ) who's hide it was when I saw the post.
Tin? yup.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(It is not certain that KB set this up, but is likely. A game? Hmm, I have no interest in playing such immature games...)

No comment

That is my cache. When I placed it, the area was vastly different than it must be now. (I haven't been back.) The last few logs are the reason it was archived. Most likely, it is private property.

A friend of mine tried to retrieve it last weekend, but was unable to find it. He went in the dark, and with the activity in the area, he felt there was a strong possibility that it was gone.

I don't know where you found it. It may have been moved, or it may have been in its original spot. Either way, I appreciate his effort, and I intended to check it out on my next visit to the area. (Occasionally my son bowls in Sartell.)

So I guess that doesn't answer a thing, does it?
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood - In that case, my apologies...

Hopefully there IS actually a swiss there then.
KB - would you be interested in converting that
container to a swiss cache? If so, I can easily
retrieve it from where it lays, and do the work.
If not, I understand and will leave it uninterupted.

Just let me know! It would be very easy for me
to go there, and would save you a trip. Plus, it
would be a great opportunity for you to help us out.

~ Josh
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can easily
retrieve it from where it lays, and do the work.

Be my guest. As you said, it would save me a trip.

Thanks
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Thanks alot!
I'll be over to get it before too long!
This is great. This is what I like to see.
Cooperation between GC.com & Swiss.
This cache will certainly bear an identity
linked to its past, so the legend will live on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: