MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed for a new cache setup....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Help needed for a new cache setup.... Reply with quote

I am setting up a cache in a cemetery and want to make it a multi-cache. Can anyone send me a link to an exisiting cache that is a multi cache located in a cemetery so I can see how it is set up- and thus less likely to be nixed by MM. Thanks
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help needed for a new cache setup.... Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
I am setting up a cache in a cemetery and want to make it a multi-cache. Can anyone send me a link to an exisiting cache that is a multi cache located in a cemetery so I can see how it is set up- and thus less likely to be nixed by MM. Thanks

Personally, I would prefer that caches stay out of cemetaries. It seems that people in Western WI like to put caches in or adjacent to cemetaries. I am as morbid as the next person but I just can't justify doing this unless a particular plot is of some sort of historical importance (Jesse James, Jesus Christ, Osama bin Laden).

If you insist on placing one in a cemetary please attempt to keep people from trodding over existing gravesites of individuals that may not be interested in having their "eternal rest" interrupted by a careless cacher and his geo-dog.

Rather than placing the cache container inside the cemetary it might be best to have the cacher gather information from the headstone of the gravesite of the person of historical significance and then have them move along to a location that is more appropriate for a hidden cache.
Rouster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought RJ's 'Nations' was done tastefully. The first stage is not something of importance (I wish it did say Osama), but certainly of interest.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=04d40538-a173-4dbc-a6d4-29a93e8be38e
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rouster wrote:
I thought RJ's 'Nations' was done tastefully. The first stage is not something of importance (I wish it did say Osama), but certainly of interest.

I was definitly misleading on my explanation. I should have mentioned that it should be of interest (whether that be historical, local flavor, or whatever).

The caches I had completed in Western WI were mostly just a cache container in a tree next to a cemetary. Not my idea of a good cache area.

Sorry for the confusion.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that you do not need to set foot in the cemetary to get RJ's Nations. On a 6inch/pixel aerial photo, you can clearly see what you need to know.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion:

Placing caches in or near cemetaries is increddibly disrespectful...
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighSky wrote:
In my opinion:

Placing caches in or near cemetaries is increddibly disrespectful...

I disagree -- I love the "Hudson Heritage" cache which is a place I would never have found any other way. There is another graveyard cache on the way to Hinkley that is not in anyway disrespectful either, in fact it is an easy find and a nice break. I also visited "Jesse James" grave recently on a road trip.

....... actually I can think of several memorial/gravestone type caches that I have been to and enjoyed seeing or reading the history of. I think if the cache is done tastefully and within a certain amount of space, that a cemetary/memorial cache can be very humbling, thought provoking and respectful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that memorials aren't nice.
And I'm not saying that "graveyard" caches can't be cool.
All I said was that it seemed disrespectful to me.
I did specify it was my "opinion".
And I respect yours... Simply different views...
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I kick the bucket and the family decides to plant me rather than burn me, I hereby give my permission to plant a geocache on my grave.

I just wish more geocachers would plan for the inevitable, before its too late.

-Rick
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hilarious!!! I am laughing in pure joy.
In that case, let it be known, that I too am
changing the way we see things, and ALSO
give complete permission to place any form
of cache on my grave...

I truely love this quote:

"If my decomposing carcass nourishes the roots of a juniper or the wings of a vulture - that is immortality enough for me." ~Edward Abbey
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: IMHO--- Reply with quote

We have been to cemetery caches all over the SW states and have learned some very interesting historical facts from them- people travel all over the world to see the graves of people and there are cemeteries that actually give tours of cemeteries- IF you go to cache in Kansas City there are caches in graveyards all over the area. geez- the cemeteries in Duluth are great to visit to find the graves of long ago residents of the city. I guess with my genealogy research background, I have become very comfortable in cemeteries - when I am looking up a grave of a person for research, many times I come across people I knew or people from the past I know had a hand in doing something important and I stop to say a thank you to them or pay my respects. A small micro in a cemetery is no problem for me - if it leads me to the grave of someone noteworthy- or if it has an unusual saying on the stone.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like "The Last Crusade" all over again for you huh?
Cool...
I went to see:
- Ben Franklins Grave
- Abe Lincoln's Birthplace/chilhood home/place where shot, and pillow he died on!

That's enough history for me I think.
About the only other "grave" that is
really on my list is the USS Arizona...
Wayfarin Stranger
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently did this locationless cache For Valor and I would not put my GPSr on the stone just to prove I was there. I did take a couple other pics for the purpose of logging the cache, but that is where I draw the line. Getting to a cemetery, especially an older one can be an interesting and sobering experience when you find military burial sites.
dingermcduff
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, a cemetary is a depressing place. Personally, I wouldn't do a cache that took me to a place that didn't make me feel good...but maybe cemetaries are nice to other people. Just my two...
Buzzygirl
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read some threads on the subject of cemetery caches on the Groundspeak forums, and I've also spent quite a bit of time in cemeteries, as my parents died when I was fairly young. I have only been into geocaching for about six months now, but to be honest, I've never considered cemeteries as being places for anything but reflection, whether that be reflecting on the lives of one's immediate forebears or their distant ones. I've never really thought of cemeteries as being places for sport or recreation (unless you're a taphologist) so I probably would not visit a cache in a cemetery myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: