MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Cache Her If You Can"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: "Cache Her If You Can" Reply with quote

I'm not even going to even try this year....after last year..
our only chance is if I can find somebody to hack into rickrich's systems, shut down his cell, punch holes in his tires, and tie him up.

Magellan GPS Geocaching Contest Makes Detective Work All Fun and Games

Log On to www.magellangps.com Starting Thursday, June 24, 2004

More Info...

Calling All Geocachers! If you heard about the fun and prizes during the Magellan® GPS Treasure Hunt last summer, you won't want to miss this year's all new geocaching contest: The Magellan "Cache Her If You Can" GPS Adventure. From June 24 through September 1, 2004, Thales, global provider of Magellan GPS consumer products, will host its second annual web-based contest on magellangps.com to promote geocaching as an ideal outdoor recreation activity for people of all ages.

The Magellan "Cache Her If You Can" GPS Adventure is a geocaching contest that sends "crime-solvers" on a search for weekly clues and claims to grand prizes in 30 cities across the U.S. In the game's fictional storyline the "Magellan Detective Agency" enlists the contestants as agents to assist in foiling the sinister plans of the notorious "Stella DeCache" and her devious henchmen of "Organization X" before they are able to disrupt the game of geocaching.

Grand prizes vary from cache to cache and may include trips, outdoor adventure products or vehicle navigation gear packages sponsored by Thales and other leading outdoor gear manufacturers, service providers, retailers and publications, including: Tecnica, Princeton Tec, Nalgene, Camping World, Gregory Mountain, Woodall's, the Good Sam Club and Trailer Life Directories, plus Camping Life, Trailer Life, ATV Sport, Rider, and Trailer Boats and Snow Goer Magazines. For complete details on game rules and prizes, see the official game website at www.magellangps.com.

To play, and be eligible to win, participants will need to have access to a GPS receiver and register at www.magellangps.com where, each week, the Magellan Detective Agency will post a series of clues. The first person to find the cache case and the top-secret reward document inside wins a grand prize.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "Cache Her If You Can" Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I'm not even going to even try this year....after last year..
our only chance is if I can find somebody to hack into rickrich's systems, shut down his cell, punch holes in his tires, and tie him up.

Hey, wait a minute! I was not the FTF last year!

-Rick
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wise and cynical anti-jeepsters -- do we hate this promotion too or is this one cool?

Twisted Evil
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all good...the more I think about it...last year was on the WEST side...

so maybe its going to be on the EAST side...
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they(anti-promotions) like this one since....

IT doesn't "take over" geocaching sites...heck it doesn't even follow placing rules and the containers even are not waterproof.

but they did pick up last years caches.....
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of them placing there own caches. If done right.

They botched it several times last year, which gave them and the sport a black eye. Hopefully they have learned from their mistakes, which included:

1) Caches placed in areas where caches are banned
2) Caches placed in areas that require permission
3) Caches not waterproof
4) Wrong coordinates posted on website (somebodies back yard)
5) They were not monitoring their website, so it took them something
like 12 hours to react to mistake #4.
6) Deletion of messages on their forum to cover up mistake #4
7) Coordinates of some caches leaked prematurely due to lousy web implementation
Cool Not sure about this, but I don't think they used experienced cachers to place the caches.

I'm willing to give them another chance to see if they can get it right this time.

If they come to the MnGCA looking for a cache placer, somebody should recommend RJ or CAG. Smile
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
Cool Not sure about this, but I don't think they used experienced cachers to place the caches.

hahahaha

I heard thru the grapevine that they used "geocaching approvers".

but that really doesn't make sense as we don't have any here.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
Oh wise and cynical anti-jeepsters -- do we hate this promotion too or is this one cool?

At least you are joking... Luckily there are glaring differences between the two and Magellan isn't breaking any of the rules that Jod did.
DigiFerret
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What "rules" were broken?
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this years contest went off very well here, which you can read about on the Magellan site (signup required). Its Mission #4.

If you don't want to signup, the cache is located here and still has lots of trinkets in it...

N 44° 55.198 W 93° 18.818

One good reason to signup, though, is that people who signed up for the 2003 contest got an email announcing the 22004 contest.

-Rick
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
One good reason to signup, though, is that people who signed up for the 2003 contest got an email announcing the 22004 contest.

-Rick

WOW I missed the 22004 contest!!!
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Seattle and San Diego were able to find their caches from just the clues. This contest is really going well so far this year (knock on wood).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: