MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buddy can get his own GPS!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Buddy can get his own GPS!!! Reply with quote

I've seen BUDDY run he needs this!!!!

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040804.gtpetaug4/BNStory/Technology/
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Buddy can get his own GPS!!! Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I've seen BUDDY run he needs this!!!!

All he needed was a friend who knew that the other gate was open Wink
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get one and attach it to KB, then post a real-time track of where he's been.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to get one and attach it to KB, then post a real-time track of where he's been.

The past two days would show:

Jordan, Belle Plaine, Henderson, Gaylord, Winthrop, New Ulm, Nicollet, Mankato, St. Peter and points in-between.

20 new caches, 2 found caches, 3 archived caches, 2 swapped containers[/quote]
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Tracking Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:

Kinda like this?

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/track.cgi?call=KC9DGP
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I really gotta get a radio.... then figure out how to use that APRS...

But thankfully I'm headed to the HAM radio swapmeet in St. Paul at the end of october. Hey 27, got any good advice on a radio and/or the whole APRS thing?
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Friday I was watching 27 travel across the state!!!!

I knew he would be stopping at a bunch of bars and thought just maybe I could find him and track him down!!!

So I noticed he first stopped somewhere in Gaylord, MN.....I found a small bar there and called...NOPE. Just left....(I think).

Then I watched him driving further north and going over posted speeds up around 58 mph (HA). Don't get the box put on your car from the insurance company (more on that at another time).

Anyways, he then stopped on Main Street in Hutchinson right next to 1st ave.
So...I did a fast internet search for bars in hutch....hmmm only 2 on main street.....

First bar I called ---- " I need to talk to Shane can you ask if he's there".....

Shane:" I'm Shane ..but it won't be for me...nobody know's I'm here"
Kitch: "Shane --this is Kitch"
Shane: "HOLY CRAP---You been watching my site"
Kitch: "heh---owned" "You need to set this up as the first REAL MOVING CACHER CACHE"
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone did something like that as a travelling event a few months ago, I was reading about it on the gc.com forums. Course they didn't use APRS, it was just word of mouth and they had their route preplanned as to where they would be and when.

Don't think anyone has used APRS yet and tied it into a cache or an event or something, but it would be a cool first.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I could build a moving cache with an APRS transmitter with a GPS receiver for around $200.

But is it legal? As a ham, I can be the control operator of an unattended repeater that lots of people use. But can I be the control operator of a moving cache with an APRS transmitter in it?

-Rick (N0NMY)
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Don't think anyone has used APRS yet and tied it into a cache or an event or something, but it would be a cool first.

Yes it has been done (although it's archived now). I'll have to see if I can find the cache page... It was down in Florida I think. The guy had something like an altoids tin on his truck I think.

73 - Matt
KB0KQA

(KB0KQA, KB0KQA-4, KB0KQA-5 on APRS).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: APRS cache Reply with quote

Utah, sorry.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=badd3420-3963-47bd-8898-f18a6e9e3213
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chasing after a hams car with an APRS trasnmitter in it doesn't interest me at all. What I was really wondering about was loosing some moving caches, with APRS transmitters in them, on the general caching community to move from place to place (like a normal moving cache), or to play a new game with (TBD). I was really wondering if a ham could legally be the "control operator" of those caches.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tha'd be pretty hazy legally speaking. I'd guess if you kept the cache container that would work, but if it's not in your possesion... Hard to say. That'd probably work if the cache was limited to ham operators only? Of course then it's being exclusive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: