MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What type of cache log do you write?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What type of cache log do you write?
short story
50%
 50%  [ 13 ]
novel
38%
 38%  [ 10 ]
epic
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
none
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 26

King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: What type of cache log do you write? Reply with quote

short story

#5 of 10 TFTC

novel

9:00 PM FTF!!!! 2nd and last of the evening.
And KB comes back with another tough hide! These ones are taking me a while to find, guess since there's a few in the area, I'll end up only getting a couple a night, hope I get a few more FTFs on them though.

One word of caution to people looking for this one, one of the trees in the search area has a patch of poison ivy growing around the base, hidden in some other weeds. Don't bother messing in it, the cache isn't there anyways. I almost didn't see it myself, and I know what to look for.

Another great hide KB, thanks for this series, they're more challenging than I was expecting. (once again no photo to preserve the mysetery) Took a token, left a nickel, signed the log.

TFTC!

epic

anything Hardware-esque
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny you posted this poll today. I had just run a perl script to generate a long text file of all of my logs, which I then emailed to my mom and dad for them to read. My average entry is 10 lines of text.

I have a nice little diary going, and I was glad I took the time to write a bit more than TFTC for most of my cache finds. My retired parents are going to enjoy reading my geocaching "diary". They might even write me back into the will.

Plus, I know that cache owners enjoy reading the longer entries, although perhaps not mine Smile.

-Rick

P.S. I can rent out my geocaching diary to any son or daughter that hasn't been writing home often enough. Just change the names, they'll never know.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know that cache owners enjoy reading the longer entries

That's a big part of why I posted this poll. It's interesting and helpful to know what's going on with a cache, or its location.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useually a short novel. Telling just a little of our adventure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It usually depends. If I am finding the usual in the middle of a rotting tree 300 feet from the parking lot I am unlikely to see or find much that is interesting to write about.

If I am heading out to do "Fat Rat" I might be more inclined to continue the story line of the cache page in my log.

It all depends.
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like to tell the story of my adventure. But if it is a park and grab, there isn't much to say.

Shane
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends. Weather is a big factor on site. So is the quality of the cache. If it's a park and grab, it usually just gets an quick entry. If it was something interesting or themed like "Fat Rat" they I go with the theme.

Situational Dependent is what it's called.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think A major issue is nobody wants to hurt a "hiders" feelings.

If its a crappy hide and boring cache you don't always want to tell the person the truth in a log.

At that time most of the logs are just going to be TNLN or something like that.

I also think you need to look at the person day he logged his caches...if he did 15+ caches in one day it gets a little confusing of the logs.

I wonder what the logs looks like in Nashville when the people do 50+ finds a day.
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sure, I'll claim the "Epic" vote - I like writing logs, heck most cache hiders pr'bly want me to write shorter ones! Laughing I think of it as my only record of the cache, and I'm always surprised when I see old logs just how much I forgot from that day...

-Ken
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'll pick novel, since KB used one of my log entries as an example of one Laughing

It also depends on the cache. I like to write my experiences, if I happen to have none, my log will most likely be short. If there's a problem with the cache, I like to note that (or like in my example, I like to warn people if there's something nearby they should be aware of)

Other times I'm sure I bore people with my logs. But oh well, they can skip past if they don't like it Smile
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somebody wants to write a log telling me what a lousy day they had at work, how the boss just craps on them all day long, and how they went to my cache for relief and found just a crummy super micro park-n-grab and then the car broke down on the way home...

...that would be just fine with me. I'd rather read that than "32 of 57, buzzsawing the caches in your area".
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
I'd rather read that than "32 of 57, buzzsawing the caches in your area".

Guilty. Embarassed

I do write longer stories when the experience warrants it... like when you run to drugged up people in swamps at KB caches.

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
...that would be just fine with me. I'd rather read that than "32 of 57, buzzsawing the caches in your area".

If someone is able to do 57 caches in a day it is likely that those caches were a short walk through a typical park/area and there wasn't anything that you could really say about it.

For 90% of the caches I do I can't really see a point to saying, "ooooh, nice walk through a boring park. Saw 15 muggles wandering around while I was trying to look normal holding a little box and carrying 5 little toys with imitation dog tags around their necks." There is little to say when a cache owner writes, "easy to find cache in a small neighborhood park." Don't want to spend the time making up a story or a decent cache description? Don't expect any creativity back.

Kitch's "Fat Rat" is a perfect example of how some creativity causes logs that are just as creative.
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of cache log do you write? Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
epic

anything Hardware-esque

that was the first good laugh i've had in a while. the truth is stranger than fiction, and often funnier.

brevity=not my forte
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Frox, Fribble, and I set off on a quest to find 57 caches today. We left the house at 6AM, fueled up on 24 oz coffees and a dozen Krispy Kremes at the Holiday, then hit the caches. Froz forgot his boots so he had to cache in sneakers all day. We hit a couple of hard caches at Slippery Cliff and Weird Story, but most of the caches we hit were in nondescript parks with short descriptions, because honestly we didn't have time to read any caches with long descriptions or do any multicaches. In fact, those parks might not have been nondescript at all, we really didn't even look around. We really appreciate this cache, the 32nd one we found today, because without it we could not have found 57 caches in 8 hours. At the end of the day, we had found 57 caches with 1 DNF. On the way home, we stopped off at a great local watering hole and logged all the caches while we relaxed and wound down

Better than 32 of 57, no?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: