MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep tbugs are here.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Darvoset Reply with quote

3 of the last 4 posts have been encouraging to me, especially JT - being a board member and all. Glad to see it......from all of you.

Lately, I’ve noticed alot of logs from "new" cachers logging no finds while hunting the Jeep bugs- local cachers that seemed to be "new" but some with plenty of finds, (more than myself mostly). It helps to remind me that caching in MN is enjoyed by many more people than some would realize. Ever wonder why these cachers don’t come here? Or have been around for some time, and not been familiar to all the local phobes? Maybe its just me-out of the loop, but simply removing state and zip would make you "anonymous" to the area you cache in? I often wish I would have chosen this path....Anyway, this promotion has either re-invigorated these cachers to get back into it (head05?, although already [i]known[/]) or got them to caches they haven’t been to- For The Jeep Bug. The ultimate in caching promotion, no?

Remember, Every Newbie Ever "converted" into a cacher has been exposed to "commercialization" of some sort. Gc.com, mngca.com, and everyone in between exists within the big world of this thing called "Geocaching" and we are all part of the machine. The internet, chat rooms, discussion boards - however caching was presented to you, it was the commercialized world that brought it to you.

Wanna cache? use these 3rd party softwares (freewares) to do it, or- even better, BUY Mapsourse, or another Mapping software to go with your Garmin (etc) to use with your Laptop PC, Palm, hiptop, etc to connect via wireless service to the internet. Wait, pay the service provider to access all these tools, and aren’t you commercialized already?

Although, my Rx DID say on it Not to make any important decisions while on this......(minor knee 'scope.....doing fine thanks)
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
head05 wrote:
Well, I guess I must be missing something because I actually found the Jeep TBs to be fun.
Pog Man

you should go out and play in the "laker" game then...

What if I consider this to be "commercializing" the lakers "game" in MN? I mean, C'mon, you are promoting MN-the State itself (its lakes anyway) via GC.COM- the "evil master" of commercialization.
It could be bringing tourist$, outdoors enjoyment by many, and the food, lodging, gas $, etc the caches here being used in this game could create is "commercializing" MN, or at least caching in MN.? Or commercializing mngca, for it sponsoring and promoting this game (nationally)
YES, holes a plenty in those arguements but that same logic creates gaps in the anti-Jeep crusade too.

I am avoiding the lakers game - and If I see one in a cache, I will consider it promotional garbage- and most likely trash it out or maybe replace the lakers piece with another item- a sprinkler head from Toro.
im joking. Actually, if I find one I plan to put it on my desk to keep as a momento. Joking of course. I will promptly create a duplicate fake piece so anyone finding it will realize it to be fake, and find it funny. Joke.
Actually, I plan to do as I please with the lakers game pieces, as I am a paying member (of the gc.com site, a commercial entity) and will do as I please. Jokingly, I am also Holier the All of Ya'Thou.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no comment.

I'll just be glad when this whole travel bug nonsense is done and over with. I'm a geocacher, let me cache in peace as I let others do, or I'll go find something less controversial to do.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st time its Jeep TB's

2nd time its Captain Crunch cereal

3rd time its Trojan corp reaching out to their best customers, who often use these same parks. And they set up the tracking site themselves. Its obvious by now that cache owners aren't bothered by promotions using their caches. And boy, the logs on that site sure are doozies.

4th time the DNR says no caching ever in State Parks because its a commercial activity.

5th time the county parks say, yeah, we can't have that either.

6th time the cities go along.

Also, by show of hands, who has figured out where Jeep TB #2030 is going? Is it not within rules to put it there?

-Rick
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Jeep TB goal... Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:

Also, by show of hands, who has figured out where Jeep TB #2030 is going? Is it not within rules to put it there?

-Rick

Straight from the bug page you posted on-

“Current GOAL: Move me to another cache so I can meet another geo "

As with all travel bugs, they have a goal and a purpose, after all, someone took the time to assemble the tag to it's cute little roll bar, etc. If you would like, I can send you my new mailing address and will be happy to put it back out in the wild for you.

-J.T.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jeep TB goal... Reply with quote

JT wrote:
“Current GOAL: Move me to another cache so I can meet another geo "

Looks like it met its goal. It was moved from MNGCA to a cache and has now met another geocacher.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that those who don't like the promotion can ignore it and vent in this and other public arenas without maliciously stealing them, thereby limiting the fun of those interested in participating.

That's just wrong.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But now for the real question... Now, just how do I explain to a four year old that the little Jeep toy that we were going for had been taken and disposed of? He thinks these little trinkets are really neat. He has seen the pictures of them and really would like to go hunt and find them.

If it is going to upset him, why explain it? When searching for bugs, there is always a chance that someone else will pick it up before you can get to it. Go look for another one. It is a shame, however, that people who don't like the concept can't just leave it alone for those who do. Personally, I refuse to look for them or participate because of the whining that has transpired on both sides of the coin. (although if I run across one, I may paint it red Wink )

Fact is this: The big dot com sold out and allowed a commercial entity to place materials in caches. I would not go as far as to call these "advertisements" as they do nothing to educate about the product, or to "puff" the product. HOWEVER, when you place a cache and register it on Geocaching.com, you are agreeing to participate in the game as they call it. If you disagree with the policies, don' t register your caches there. Also, Archive all of your existing caches so that people participating in geocaching.com activities don't go there. By placing the invitation to cachers on geocaching.com, you run the risk of getting travelbugs you don't want placed in your cache.

Geocaching.com did something it swore it would never do. Shame on them. Destroying travel bugs that provide others with enjoyment of the game is also wrong. In any event, both sides need to get beyond this kindergarten BullSh-- and start having fun again. I will now step down off of my soap box.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 3 paragraphs written. I changed my mind to post them. I'll just say this. We are putting a lot of grease on that wheel!
I hope that others do not decide to "clean out" MY caches because they saw something they didn't like.

Shane
</SUBJECT>
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:

So far, nobody has yet raised their hand. Solve the puzzle, then raise your hand. But don't post any spoilers.

-Rick
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to search for jeep 2030, but i must not know the magic formula for finding its page.

i'm still stunned by the ongoing talk about these bugs. geocaching.com, for good or evil, makes money, which helps pay to keep it up and running, albeit poorly at times, (many times by some peoples standards.) so setting up a promotion with an automotive manufacturer that results in 4000 travel bugs, something that people covet, is wrong? i do agree, however, that this could turn geocaching into a big commercialized venture that irritates the park systems, etc., although i doubt a million people are going to run out to buy receivers so they can find capt. crunch travel bugs.

it's nice to be neither upset by this promotion nor care enough to have to find one before they're all hoarded as keepsakes or destroyed in protest. if there's one jeep TB out there a year from now, i'll be stunned.
head05
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Fishing Reply with quote

rickrich wrote:
rickrich wrote:

So far, nobody has yet raised their hand. Solve the puzzle, then raise your hand. But don't post any spoilers.

-Rick

Anybody want to go fishing? I raise my hand; I've got the leeches!! Surprised

Pog Man
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardware wrote:
i tried to search for jeep 2030, but i must not know the magic formula for finding its page.

here Quick and sloppy.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=97465
Irvingdog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If commercial cahes are a capitalist venture, and therefore banned in city, county or state lands (if it ever got to that point), then approvers would not approve them, just as it was originally set up and continues to be. How difficult is that?

Quick. Look up there Rolling Eyes . It's one of them silent, black helicopters......
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Share the Land...Share the Jeeps....

I don't know what I'm talking about...but somewhere in all of this...maybe that is why KB is placing all the hides...he wants squatters rights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: