MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep tbugs are here.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Jeep tbugs are here. Reply with quote

Watch for them to be distributed throughout Minnesota and surrounding area geocaches over the next couple/few weeks.

About half will be logged into caches through MnGCA's account. The other half will be "ghost dropped" and not logged into the cache.

Included in the above are ones to be sent out-state.

None will be reserved for handing out at events.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think the GHOST dropping is a bad idea...

No record for thefts...
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoohoo! Thanks RJ for the update, and handling all the details on getting them out.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I really think the GHOST dropping is a bad idea...
No record for thefts...

ditto -- you are asking for thefts and random cache raids. Twisted Evil

These Jeeps after all, are just Travel Bugs and should be treated as such.
Travel bugs are to be properly dropped, logged and moved. Travel bugs are to be moved, not stolen, not hoarded, not looted, etc. Follow the Tbugs goal if it has one.

These Tbugs should be treated just like a normal Tbug or a MN Laker piece - nobody randomly drops them without logging..... it creates problems.
Let's just drop them properly and get this over with. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF they are going to be ghostdropped...who will know??? just RJ?
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:

These Tbugs should be treated just like a normal Tbug or a MN Laker piece - nobody randomly drops them without logging..... it creates problems.
Let's just drop them properly and get this over with. Rolling Eyes

Hey - leave us out of this!!

Twisted Evil
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJ, I have been humming and haring over this, and now that I came to speak up, I see I'm not alone. The poll showed a diffinate want of the people to have the jeeps logged into caches. No ghost drops. The more I have pondered this, the more issues I see with the ghost drops.

With so many folks wanting them, and some could be sitting in rural, or hard to find caches for a month or more, the chasers will be shouting that we still have them in our pockets, or are taking to long to put them out their etc.

I now see that my idea was wrong. After all the fuss, I now think that the best bet is to get them out there and log them. There is just somthing that goes against the nature of TBs, not to. After all, it is the not logging bugs that causes the majority of MIA's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Poll will only be open until Wednesday night...... then the thread will be locked.
The FINAL method of distribution will be decided, it will be fair and unbiased toward anyone who wants to find Tbug.

.....And then this discussion is over.

....Or is it?!? Rolling Eyes
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis quit stiring it or I'll buy you a spoon for your b'day.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the game has begun.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I know, I know, I'm causing trouble again Wink , but let's face it, The decision has been made, and It is going to be a lot of work for RJ and whomever else plants these, lets just let them do it with as little hassle as possible. If someone is going to steal a bug from a cache and doesn't want to get caught, they simply won't log their presence. I don't think logging the bug initially will be any sort of a deterent. Also, we wouldn't have ANY of the bugs being planted if they hadn't gone to the trouble of getting them in the first place. It just seems like this is turning into a thankless chore for those involved.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
JT
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
Quote:

I know, I know, I'm causing trouble again Wink , but let's face it, The decision has been made, and It is going to be a lot of work for RJ and whomever else plants these, lets just let them do it with as little hassle as possible. If someone is going to steal a bug from a cache and doesn't want to get caught, they simply won't log their presence. I don't think logging the bug initially will be any sort of a deterent. Also, we wouldn't have ANY of the bugs being planted if they hadn't gone to the trouble of getting them in the first place. It just seems like this is turning into a thankless chore for those involved.

Or not.... This was posted with in the last 24 hours.... Sad

Quote:
Now, for my own ideas, which you are free to disagree with... The blatant commercialization of geocaching has to be stopped. I picked this Jeep travel bug up for Deep Six disposal ASAP. With any luck, it will be a very long time before this bug sees the light of day again. 1 down 3999 to go.

Ok... now for my 2 cents.... I am not here to start a fight....cause trouble, etc..... I don't want to be flamed. But this is just something for you all to think about....

Geocaching is a game. One in which I have exposed my whole family to. Including the new "commercialization" aspect of it.... Would I like to win one of the Jeeps that is being given away??? of course! Some of the jeep gear that is being given away... Sure, why not?

But now for the real question... Now, just how do I explain to a four year old that the little Jeep toy that we were going for had been taken and disposed of? He thinks these little trinkets are really neat. He has seen the pictures of them and really would like to go hunt and find them.

Now we all play the game of geocaching a little differently. If you don't like the way a certain player hides his/her caches, then don't go hunt for them! If you don't like a TB, then don't go for them! Let the other players who might want to play that portion of the game, play it!

A Jeep TB is just like any other TB.... Someone paid for it to be made, tagged and distributed. Volunteers, yes.... whether or not you agree, have taken the time and gas money to place these game pieces out in the wild. Why??? Because, it just might make the game a little more fun for some that play it. Agree with it or not, that is your opinion. Take action against such, well, that is also your decision. But that too has consequences. Someone near and dear to us all wrote to the organizers to get some TB's sent to our organization. I think that person now regrets even being involved with it, because of all the whining and complaining.

Let me make a little analogy.... Someone might not agree with people hunting deer. SO... instead of letting people hunt them, you go and poison them so that they all die and you can't hunt them.

Does it make any sense? No...... I just don't get it....

If you want to dispose of the Jeeps, can you at least wait until the game is completely over? That way the MN players would have a chance to compete against the rest of the country. Lets face it… the rest of the country will continue to play the game.

Just my two cents….

-J.T.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
head05
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: WOW!! Reply with quote

Well,

I guess I must be missing something because I actually found the Jeep TBs to be fun. I am not here to criticize anyone but I feel really, if you will, sad. This new Jeep "game" actually got me off my you know what and back out caching. I can't believe I was gone for so long. It could be true that this is just for money; it could be true that this is just being done for no other reason than to commercialize Geocaching. It could also be true, that this could bring some really interesting things to Geocaching. Don't get me wrong, I feel really comfortable in the fact that less is more, but it just can't stay that way when you have a sport as fun and exciting as caching. There are some jerks out there now doing stupid stuff to caches, I know!!! I lost my very first cache and I know a cacher who has lost several. But I don't think acting out like those people is the answer. If we don't like something, you say something. Send a letter, email, whatever. I know, I know, a letter aint gonna do squat!! At least you are not ruing it more that you think it already is.!

Thanks RJ for volunteering to get those pieces out and to any and all those who helped!!

Pog Man
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: WOW!! Reply with quote

head05 wrote:
Well,

I guess I must be missing something because I actually found the Jeep TBs to be fun.
Pog Man

you should go out and play in the "laker" game then...
Irvingdog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Lame Reply with quote

This "Anti-commercialization" of Geocaching is lame.

Remember how cool and exclusive it was when only we knew about it? I was so ahead of the curve.

Sorry, but money (commerce) is the oil that makes everything go in this country. And despite any cooler than thou, underground/Indie mentality, not all money, not all commercialization, is a bad thing. And because this is a free country, people are free to go forward with commercial ventures.
And who are people going to steal these bugs from? "The man"? Do you have a 401K at work? Are you planning to retire one day? We all invest in industry. It is a system that allows us to be as free as we are.

Clearly, this attitude is one of the worst things about the advent of the internet. The "Invincible behind the keyboard" nonsense. Cloaked, yet with a voice. It has killed Cajones.
Live and let live, unless I don't like it! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: