MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep 4x4's (poll)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the best and fairest way of getting the Jeep TBugs out?
Dropped into random caches NOT logged into the cache.
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Dropped into random caches YES logged into the cache.
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Handed out at an event/meeting.
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Other (state it in your post)
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 23

Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Jeep 4x4's (poll) Reply with quote

Very Happy Don't get all excited, they are not here yet....
The purpose of this thread is to create a poll and an idea bank for the fair and unbiased distribution of the Jeep Tbugs.
Please post your opinions and ideas and stay on topic.
First sign of snarking/flaming/whining and this thread closes down.

All the Jeeps will be logged into the MnGCA account before being dropped into caches.... this will prevent any unnatural stats on anyone's geo-account (something we learned from dropping Lakers)

The question lies here......
What is the best and fairest way of getting them out to the metro?

(Note - This does not include the far reaches of the state -- they will be USPS'ed to various out-state folks for distribution/dropping to their areas)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand them out at one or two events, maybe even divide them up over a couple of events. If there are more people who show up than bugs available, do a random lottery drawing.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mud Wrestling.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

distribute them to cache owners in proportion to # of caches owned:

yes, it's a joke !

For instance, if R J has 10% of the metro caches, he gets 10% of the bugs
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think dropping in a cache without logging it will give the next visitor a surprise. Without the "RACE to be first" to a cache.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
distribute them to cache owners in proportion to # of caches owned:

yes, it's a joke !

For instance, if R J has 10% of the metro caches, he gets 10% of the bugs

I like KB's idea. Only problem there is he has SOOOOOO many caches out there it would be rediculusly unfair to most of the others. I agree with his Philosophy, but in his case you would need to limit it to say 10 of these (I am not sure how many the state actually is getting).

I have an even more evil idea Twisted Evil How about starting them ALL outside the metro area. That way the metro pple wouldn't be just passing them all between themselves. JMHO

I will be realistic though. I think the ones for the metro area should be spread somewhat evenly through out the entire metro area. Hopefully these get spread out evenly between the metro and outstate.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think putting them into caches and not telling anybody they are there will create more stolen bugs!!!!!

I think the best way is a sign up page!!! but then picking them up will be tricky!!!

A sign up page will reward the members of MNGCA....heck we are the ones that requested them...reward the members....
pto
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a signup page would work, maybe with some terms to agree to-
Like you'll agree to move it within a certain amount of time, etc-
Although dropping them into caches without logging the drop could be done, possibly keeping track within a seperate database- you could track where they went- then watch from there.
Whats the total ## that will be coming in?
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the distribution goes too crazy, is there any chance Wicketswanderingponypatrol and myself will get ours for skipping the spring even doing that Science Museum promo?

Or will I have to try my luck at nabbing one out of a cache?

Just checking Wink

BTW Seattle's got some distributed already and in caches, check this cache's latest logs.
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I think putting them into caches and not telling anybody they are there will create more stolen bugs!!!!!

Now that I think about it, you are right! My Bad.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Kitch's idea about a sign up, and distribution doesn't need to be a huge problem:
With only about 211 members in MNGCA, not all of whom are in state or active, this may be much ado about nothing. It may well be that something as simple as a sign up sheet online followed by a couple of scheduled pick up evenings for those who want to get the bug assigned to them might not be a bad way to go. It may well be that everyone who wants one will get one with bugs to spare. The only potential drawback would be the possibility of people creating last minute dummy accounts to get bugs. I'm sure that can be remedied though, by creating a cut off date for members on the list as of the date the signup goes up. Or, if there are more signups than bugs, make sure only one bug per account and base the priority on seniority in the organization based upon the membership date. I am comfortable suggesting this, because I am towards the bottom of that list. Wink If people don't want to go to the trouble of signing up and coming to claim thier bug, then they just don't want it that bad. I would be willing to donate an evening on a weekday to sit and wait for people to come pick up their bugs on the south side. I'm sure others could be found in the Metro area to do the same.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like the anonymous cache drop, but yes they should be logged. Which will ruin the anonymity, so no, don't log them. I don't think loging the initial drop will make any difference to first weeks vanishing rate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WicketsWanderingPonyPatro wrote:
I still like the anonymous cache drop, but yes they should be logged. Which will ruin the anonymity

If we go that route, the Tbugs would all be "dropped" and logged by the main MnGCA account, not by the account of the individuals who actually dropped them.
It would be an anonymous drop. (but of course folks can probably guess who did it, by who lives in the areas the Tbugs appear in..... but they can't really be sure Wink )

Plus all designated droppers would be *sworn* to actually drop the buggers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem I see with random cache drops are as follows:

1. It will be a lot of work for a few people to go out and place them.
2. Invariably, someone will start whining Crying or Very sad about the way in which caches were randomly selected, how certain areas were favored, or ended up with more, or how the selection of caches was only (wink wink) random. I'm certainly not saying this would happen, I just don't want to hear people whining about it. Rolling Eyes

A little off topic: (Okay, a lot off topic) As long as you are out revisiting caches looking for these things, or even laker pieces, think about taking along a few extra logbooks to add to a cache if you notice one is in need. It is certainly not your responsibility, but it would be a nice gesture, and I have a feeling there will be an increase in posting when people start logging the extra bug activity.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is how we can get 18 people to vote for Yellow Jeep TBs but we average 14 people a month on cache of the month.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: