MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Object attached to bug being changed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Object attached to bug being changed Reply with quote

I had one of my bugs mysteriously go from a "Jimmie Johnson Piston Keyring" To a hand lawn sprinkler. Confused Can't they leave the original attached item with the tag? Mad I got an email from one party that said they were confused. They said that the sprinkler head did not seem to match real well with the name and description of what the TB was. Confused I had to explain what it was when it started. They replied that that wasn't even close to what was attached to the tag. Rolling Eyes Go figure!!! Sad
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the hand sprinkler came from Lowe's and was used to wash a dirty Monte Carlo with the number 48 handwritten on the door?
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - someone's not a fan of Jimmie, I guess.

To let you know, it was a piston as expected when I dropped it off in Eau Claire, WI on 3/27/2004. Silverish, and had a number on the top of it if I remember correctly. I was caching with Silent Bob and Arcticabn that day, and I believe Arcticabn took it directly from me after I dropped it into a cache. Logs would indicate there was a mixup on it's trip to San Diego:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/map.aspx?ID=41175

-Aaron

[Edit: Added more detail]
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or, NCad didn't seem to even log the cache page the date he took the bug and reported the change:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=431ba155-781e-4fec-b6c6-4c00c281481b&log=y&decrypt=

...he had previously found the cache before in 2003, so if he grabbed it from the cache himself it appears he went there specifically for the bug.

NCad and Arcticabn are the two people you'd want to talk to.

-Aaron
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TB Ruxubb (creatively named after the activation code) started off as a gold alien, then someone attached one of those green "Area 52" aliens to it, and now the gold alien is gone, but the green alien is still attached to the tag. It can be frustrating, but it's nothing I can control, and we just have to accept that some people will change what the tag is attached to.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?ID=30339

Read the most recent post, then look at the photo from 3/11 and the additions on 4/17

MAJOR overhaul
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be happy the bug is still alive. Out of the two TBs and 5 geocoins I own only one is still "alive". The 1 geocoin that is still going is questionable at best but I have faith.

The other bugs are stolen, dead, or just MIA.

It's one of the reasons I won't buy anymore.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="s4xton"]...or, NCad didn't seem to even log the cache page the date he took the bug and reported the change:

NCad and Arcticabn are the two people you'd want to talk to.

-Aaron[/quote]

I remember the piston well. I (we) scored it during our Presidents Tour in WI. I then took it to San Diego and left it very near the ocean. Actually the cache was in Mission Bay across from Sea World. It was a great cache location where I found my 400th cache watching the sunset on the Pacific.

Can't answer for NCAD.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:

I then took it to San Diego and left it very near the ocean.

Can I ask why you took it to San Diego when It wanted to go to N.C.????

My routing on my gps (but I'm not sure how it all works yet) says the faster way is Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Virginia, and then North Carolina......

I thought San Diego was in California.......
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
My routing on my gps (but I'm not sure how it all works yet) says the faster way is Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Virginia, and then North Carolina......

Well, it was proven that autorouting sometimes doesn't exactly route you in the best way Wink Perhaps because Arcticabn's GPS is a couple years older it told him the best way was via San Diego.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:

From what I've heard, any route whose first step takes the bug out of MN is a good path.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had already made it to Wisconsin....
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
It had already made it to Wisconsin....

I guess the rule is "out of MN and out of 1/2 day driving range of MN", then.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch,
This is interesting. That was about 30 travel bugs ago and I don't remember seeing a picture of that travel bug, but I do remember thinking it was odd that a sprinkler head was called a piston. But pop-up sprinklers do have piston-like elements so I didn't dwell on the disparity long. I've certainly seen a lot stranger travel bugs.
What's more interesting to me is that I took it out of San Diego to a really desolate spot in the Mojave Desert, only to have it come right back to the San Diego area. I've half a mind to go find it again just to send it out of here.

- NCad

Can you tell us your story on this travel bug...we are trying to get to the bottom of how it got switched from a "piston" to a "sprinkler head".
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot thickens!

Maybe the new goal should be to come back to it's owner so he can use it for his lawn and get a new piston going out the right way this time.

-Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: