MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caching with other Geocachers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
notsmike
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Caching with other Geocachers Reply with quote

I'm new to this sport. When I start a search I print out the hints and the last logs of the cache. I'm elated when I find one and can log it. I have seen where cachers with more than 400 finds are going out together and finding / logging caches. (I must be wrong, but if I could put 3,4 or 5 geocachers at a site, it would increase the chances of a find 100 fold)
What are the opinions on this. I don't want to open a can of worms on this. (or do I) Just fair for all. Again a newbie.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to agree that it does increase our chances of a find.....but.....

1) We have created a friendship with others....
2) Many times one person finds it ....walks away and laughs that he/she knows where it is.....and won't help.
3) Its always not about the numbers of finding a cache....its just fun.
4) Just another reason to get outta the house.
5) Sometimes you need the help.
6) Carpooling for gas reasons..
7) Can get a little boring to go out by yourself all the time.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer to cache alone or with my kids, and just meet up with cachers later. But it is fun to cache with others from time to time. It sure does increase the chances of a find, but for me the primary purpose is the walk and to get out of the house.

When it comes to stats, I think it only really affects the "finds in one day" stat, which should be divided by the nuber of cachers in the party.

-Rick
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't care about numbers... I tried that whole thing for a while (going out for 30+ finds in a day and cleaning out areas). You get burned out *fast* and you eliminate the caches you can do in an area.

I used to cache alone and found it to be a nice thing to get out and enjoy having time to myself. After caching with others I find it to be much more fun. The days go by much faster and I have less frustration.

Generally when we are in large groups (WeekNIGHT caching) people will spot the cache, mill around as if they are continuing to look for the cache, and then they will stand off to the side (as Kitch said). If I am just out with one other person I usually will say I found it right away but still have the other person at least look some more for it (even if I give them some hints).

Personally I cannot cache unless someone else is tagging along. I just find it boring otherwise. Humans are social creatures afterall Smile
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I can go either way, but here's my reasonings.

Caching alone:
I find it's a great time to get exercize, and a bit of a personal sense of accomplishment (ie you're caching in a group, and someone else finds the cache), not to mention getting some time to myself, getting outside and some fresh air, especially great after a rough day.

Caching in a group:
Drastically reduces the DNFs, as there are more eyes looking. You get a bit of socializing in, always helpful there. Also, if you hit up a questionable area (be it a bad part of town, dangerous terrain, etc), you got backup in case something goes wrong.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Caching in a group:
Also, if you hit up a questionable area (be it a bad part of town, dangerous terrain, etc), you got backup in case something goes wrong.

I was thankful for being in a large group when we ran into a squatter at night. It might not have been as easy to deal with as a single person.
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group caching is the best. I've had my most favorite days of caching with friends.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it all into the reason your geocaching. I do it by myself as a challenge. When by myself I tend to push myself just to see how far I can go in a single day. Yet on the other hand there are plenty of caches out ther I won't do alone for one reason or another. Usually because I deam them to be to dangerous to attempt alone or are to far out into the backwoods as to make it less enjoyable to be alone.

I like family caching as a way to get out and spend time with the wife and kids. Usually, picking caches that are in local parks with playgrounds and stuff so after a walk in the woods the kids can play and the wife and I can sit, watch and just talk.

Group caching is great for friendship, socialization, and just play having someone who understands the drive to find some small ass cache. And there are always the good laughs as one finds it and laughs as the others are still struggling. Minnesota Madness is a prime example. There were 10 of us out there looking for a micro. After a few had found it, it was quite funny watching others stare right at it and not see it. And then group caching is usually followed by some good food and drink and more fun and games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: