MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PlayTime Inc. team-building event
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing the situation, I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up on "coming up next" adverts for a local news program in the Twin Cities saying that line over and over again.

"...find out at 6..."

-Aaron
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dreaming here...

Hit 'em up with some real life caching situations...

- Concerned citizen reports suspcicious container
- Hobo jumps out of ice cream truck
- Wasps nest guarding cache
- Oh Boy, Swamp Grass!

Just to get the hypothetical ball rolling....
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm....full contact geocaching
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad C.A.G. didn't have a micro placed in downtown Minneapolis.

I'm envisioning a Mississippi Madness style cache, with 5 groups of people huddled around a tiny park, investigating a couple pine trees.....
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enquiring minds want to know...... who went and helped them out?
Anybody?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Too bad C.A.G. didn't have a micro placed in downtown Minneapolis.

I'm envisioning a Mississippi Madness style cache, with 5 groups of people huddled around a tiny park, investigating a couple pine trees.....

After %$#@ clown! I was looking under the rock! Wink
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I didn't even get that far yesterday 27, I was stuck at stage two on Mountain Goat.

And you'd think after 160 or so caches, I might be a bit better and finding sutff.... Wink
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
And you'd think after 160 or so caches, I might be a bit better and finding sutff.... Wink

I still feel that way after 1100+ finds. Yesterday, Minnesota found three caches that were recent no-finds of mine. Pretty humbling.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to geocaching, I'm always given reminders to be humble Smile
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Centris, Fess up, who went.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can say who didn't go. Me Very Happy

Not that I wouldn't have minded going, but I'm already taking time off this week. Odd day for this to happen on, with the heat wave and all...
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the front page of Geocaching.com there is a link to team geocaching. Here is a qutoe off that page.

"The hunt is on. Your team advances through the brush, hearts pounding, silent with anticipation as they close in on the cache. One team member decrypts a clue from her PDA, while another indicates potential locations on an aerial map. A burst of radio chatter relays vital information from a remote squad. Your GPS unit clicks off the quickly closing distance— three hundred feet. Two hundred. One hundred. Suddenly, from the corner of your eye, you spot it. You grab your digital camera and squeeze off a shot as a shout goes up from the team: “We found it!”"

Yep, that's how is goes for me. Thrilling isn't it. Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife Perrine, JT, brjzn, a couple of other locals, and I braved the hottest day in the past two years to help with the event. Everyone's snarking aside, it was a great time. The people we were with were a little skeptical at first, but once they found their first cache, they were enthusiastic. The people from Playtime were easy to work with, and the group we were there to help had a lot of fun. Overall, I felt it was worth it for me to spend 6 hours helping out.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what did you do??? just virtual caches???

find anything COOL???
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They gave us a short session on the equipment--each of us geo-techs were issued a backpack with 7 yellow eTrexes, an iPaq PPC, a first aid kit, and a digital camera--and we were told basically what to expect. We also went to the nearest cache. After that, they sprung for lunch, and we went and met our groups and after giving them an overview, we set off. There were 20 caches in downtown Mineapolis, with the Hilton at the center, and going as far as the dome to the east and the Sculpture Garden to the west, and about an even mix of virtual and micro. The physical caches were only either a magnetic key holder or a clear plastic pog-tube sized container, and all they had in them were slips of paper with the number of the cache and how much the cache was worth (the caches had different values based on their difficulty and distance from the Hilton). There were also three bonuses not related to finding a cache--Do a performance worthy of soliciting a dollar from a total stranger (one of my people told some guy coming out of the Catholic Charities the story of why dogs sniff each others butts), buy an item at a convenience store and sell it at a profit to a total stranger, and pose as the woman "who can turn the world on with her smile"--the clients had to do these, not us geo-techs, thank Jod. We had to be back by a certain time, and everyone was, and they handed out awards for the two teams with the most points and showed us the pictures that everyone took (each group had to take a group picture at each cache). Out of the 20 caches, the most any group found was 8, and there was only one where the coordinates were too far off for anyone to find it--one was supposed the be at those weird sculptures in the little park across from the courthouse, but the coordinates put us a block and a half away. So, we didn't find anything cool, but if I wanted to carpet bomb downtown Minneapolis with micro caches, I now know some good hiding spots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: