MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

doxycycline

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: doxycycline Reply with quote

Has anyone take doxycycline for Lyme's? How bad is the sun sensitivity with it? I never even got the bulls eye trademark associated with Lyme's... I did pull a deer tick off my elbow recently, but it only left a tiny mark from it's attachment.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the dosage, but it just shortens the time in which you will burn in the sun. If you are prone to sunburn like I am - say in 10 minutes or less - you probably already have sunscreen on, but should limit your time in direct sunlight lest you burst into flames. If you never burn, be aware of the time you spend in the sun and start wearing sunscreen.
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken the Doxycycline as a pre-emptive measure. I didn't have any issues with the sun, nor was I aware that there could be one. So, thanks for sharing that information.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
It depends on the dosage, but it just shortens the time in which you will burn in the sun. If you are prone to sunburn like I am - say in 10 minutes or less - you probably already have sunscreen on, but should limit your time in direct sunlight lest you burst into flames. If you never burn, be aware of the time you spend in the sun and start wearing sunscreen.

Thanks for the info... I rarely wear sunscreen (my bad), and I've gotten quite a dark complexion from the sun already...so hopefully that will help.
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it gave me a noticeable difference in sun sensitivity. I could actually feel my skin burning within a few minutes.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfromwillow wrote:
it gave me a noticeable difference in sun sensitivity. I could actually feel my skin burning within a few minutes.

So far, I've hadn't had an issue...but, we also haven't had that much sun lately.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to take Doxycycline three summers ago and four summers ago. That is not good when I work and play outside. In spite of being fair skinned, I didn't have any complications from the meds in the sun. I did use sunscreen profusely during the time that I was on the meds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: