MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boundary Waters virtuals?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trekkin' and Birdin'
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Boundary Waters virtuals? Reply with quote

Is there any interest in an event this year? Last year didn't work out...I know Boreal Walker shared some good stuff for planning purposes. We're really scaling back on geocaching, but these two are still on our "most wanted" list.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested... no knowledge on how to plan it however. But, I could learn Very Happy .
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a lot of interest in going, but nobody who is interested in planning the trip.
TriggerMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
I think there is a lot of interest in going, but nobody who is interested in planning the trip.

I am in agreement here. I'd love to get on board with the trip, but I've never been there before and certainly wouldn't feel comfortable with heading the trip in. Perhaps we just need to put our heads together and bang it out. I mean hey, if we get lost, we will have gps's, right? Wink
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely be down for a trip like that. I only have 3 virtuals left in MN that I need to find, and these are two of them.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:

This is me. I'd go if timing worked but no interest in planning since I already did just that back in 2010. I can provide routes and tracks but for once (in my own little geocaching world) would just like to follow rather than lead.
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great trip. Bart had it set up so we could paddle to both. We first went to Dolman Rock. When we came back we shopped briefly, stretched out our muscles, then paddled for Kelly Jack. I have my eye on the other BWCA virtual. Maybe someday. I'm not getting any younger. Check out http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC23RM5_minnesotas-bwca-canoe-in-geocaching-event?guid=c1bdacef-4390-4c41-937d-bb5eb491c13d I might come for the event if it is set up the same way. When everyone leaves I'll go down to Devil Track Lake for the cache on the island there.

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aix sponsa wrote:
That was a great trip. Bart had it set up so we could paddle to both. We first went to Dolman Rock. When we came back we shopped briefly, stretched out our muscles, then paddled for Kelly Jack. I have my eye on the other BWCA virtual. Maybe someday. I'm not getting any younger. Check out http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC23RM5_minnesotas-bwca-canoe-in-geocaching-event?guid=c1bdacef-4390-4c41-937d-bb5eb491c13d I might come for the event if it is set up the same way. When everyone leaves I'll go down to Devil Track Lake for the cache on the island there.

Hey, thanks for posting that Mary. I'll point out that we did not end up using the Sawbill Shuttle since we all had our own vehicles.

I also want to point out that if someone plans this, plan it either LATE SPRING or LATE SUMMER. Any in between and you will regret the bugs.

If I attended, I would most likely paddle to one or both locations but would prefer any event be a meet and greet PRIOR to setting sail. That way you will be more likely to get more event attendees that don't want to paddle.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aix sponsa wrote:

And if anyone wants to use my event as a template, go for it. I give Gatrdone and MNFruitcake permission to grab the HTML out of the listing for you if needed (not sure if Groundspeak allows that though).
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it looks like my surgery tomorrow is going forward and I won't have to live any longer without a right hip, I might just be in shape and rehabbed to attend if in late fall. I, too, am trying to complete the MN virtual challenge and only have a few left.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My September and October is completely open at the moment. I'd love to see someone take the initiative in getting this rolling before I schedule my fall camping at some other location.

I've got two kayaks and a canoe I'd donate to the cause if the timing worked for me.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sawbill Outfitters was suppose to send me some info via mail, but I haven't got it yet. My spring and early summer are pretty busy already, but if I get my house sold quick enough (and find a place to live), I'd be up for helping to plan this for the fall.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going up there in July and I am hoping to get those two since we will be staying right between them, but in case I don't get them it would be fun to go up in the Fall and get them. I've used Sawbill outfitters before and they are very good.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm headed up there in July too wit a church group. We've always put in from Gunflint Trail before but i believe it's Sawbill this year. Hopefully I can persuade the group to route near at least one of these.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
Sawbill Outfitters was suppose to send me some info via mail, but I haven't got it yet. My spring and early summer are pretty busy already, but if I get my house sold quick enough (and find a place to live), I'd be up for helping to plan this for the fall.

I was just up there and didn't make it to either of the virtuals (long story). We used Sawbill Outfitters and they were great. Their website is pretty good, it lists all the costs. It would be nice if we could just transport the canoes ourselves. If anyone has a mini-van or SUV it would be easy enough. We could probably talk BigChiefS4 into driving his blazer up there, but would probably need a few more. The canoe rentals are cheap, but they charge a lot to transport. If you want any help planning it just let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: