MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living Skies 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to have license plates on a car, too. Not just a sticky on the back window indicating that the car was purchased in the last 15 days. Hey, I was going for cache number 800. I spent nearly two hours between both customs buildings in IFalls, about equal time for each. It helps to know the formal name of the business that sold the car, too, not just Frank's in Gilbert. Canada asked for the password for my computer. No big deal. It was my laptop - my backup computer. At that time I had mostly geocaching things on it. (Addiction - OCD - you decide) I told them I was going geocaching and explained what it was. I knew that they knew because I have met enough Canadian cachers to know there is frequent travel by cachers across the border. They asked me who hid the caches. I said I didn't know. No way was I going to tell them Sasha, Ducky and hillbilly bear. That would end my trip right there. There is more to the story but suffice it to say I did get in and spent about as much time in Canada as I did crossing the two borders. Rolling Eyes Saskatchewan would be fun. I don't have that province. Too bad, I think that is the weekend before my crazy week at work.

RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best crossing from the US to Canada and back was at Jimís Corner up on the northwest angle. Itís basically a dimly lit 8 X 12 ice house with a video phone hung on the wall. Press 1 if enter the USA, press 2 if entering Canada.

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
My best crossing from the US to Canada and back was at Jimís Corner up on the northwest angle. Itís basically a dimly lit 8 X 12 ice house with a video phone hung on the wall. Press 1 if enter the USA, press 2 if entering Canada.

My only incident at the border was at Jim's corner when I inadvertently admitted that I had pepper spray in the vehicle. Oops. The dude on the phone wanted to arrest me but since Jim's corner was so remote, they decided to let me go with a verbal warning. Shocked
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do robot combat with my dad and brother, and we did a tournament in Saskatoon. The border guards didn't look twice at the two heavily armored, remote control flame throwers we had sitting on the trailer.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was instructed by the US Customs to always mention geocaching when crossing. Especially if you are going to Estevan, SK. Apparently, no one goes for a vacation there.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
Ohhh, I hear you. My biggest trouble crossing ever was with three minor children w/o their mother. I had her on speed dial waiting in St. Paul, but whoa me, no cell reception at the crossing north of Thief River Falls, MN in 2005. Since I had her name and phone number ready, they believed me and let me pass without incident. On they way back in to the U.S. (on I-29), I had her waiting on the line, but since coming into the U.S. it wasn't such a big deal.

My experience was oddly enough just the opposite. The Canadians didn't care about my kid at all, but the US wanted paperwork proving she was a citizen (even with her mother in the front seat).
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
AerosmithPA wrote:
Ohhh, I hear you. My biggest trouble crossing ever was with three minor children w/o their mother. I had her on speed dial waiting in St. Paul, but whoa me, no cell reception at the crossing north of Thief River Falls, MN in 2005. Since I had her name and phone number ready, they believed me and let me pass without incident. On they way back in to the U.S. (on I-29), I had her waiting on the line, but since coming into the U.S. it wasn't such a big deal.

My experience was oddly enough just the opposite. The Canadians didn't care about my kid at all, but the US wanted paperwork proving she was a citizen (even with her mother in the front seat).

As Pear Head would say, "Hmm...".
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were thoroughly questioned when entering Canada near Niagara Falls before the passport days.

Border Agent: I see you have a Florida Driver's license.
Me (spoken with a MN accent): Yes, sir. That's where we live.
Border Agent: Why are you entering Canada and for how long?
Me: A 2 day vacation.
Border Agent: I see your car has New Your plates. Who does it belong to?
Me: Budget Rental.
Border Agent: Why did you rent a car in New York?
Me: Because we fly to Rochester. It was closer than Toronto.
Border Agent: Do you plan to leave this car in Canada?
Me: No. We will be driving it back to the airport we flew out of.

I did check before renting and Budget told me it was OK to drive their car into Canada.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living Skies 2014 has been granted MEGA status.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was published more than a year in advance. Rolling Eyes

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=74c9bb60-b69b-4d22-863a-2321eade1a28
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
This was published more than a year in advance. Rolling Eyes

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=74c9bb60-b69b-4d22-863a-2321eade1a28

Perhaps you need to make Halloween Hoopla a three day event with vendors?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: