MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The President's Cacheside Chat - November 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: The President's Cacheside Chat - November 2011 Reply with quote

Hello fellow MnGCA cachers,

First of all I want to thank everyone that voted in the recent fall election, either in person at the event or by absentee ballot. I look forward to serving as your President for the upcoming year.

For those that don’t know me, my name is Teri. In my “other” job I am an attorney for a major Minneapolis-based company. I’ve been geocaching for just over 6 years now. My husband Brian introduced me to the sport and so far we’re proud to say we have 1900 finds that span 20 states, 8 countries and 3 continents! We both love the sport and some of the great places we have discovered because of it.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Minnesotabrad for his leadership the past 2 years as MnGCA President. He leaves some big shoes to fill. I also want to thank all of the outgoing board members that I had the pleasure to work with in my previous role of secretary.

If you were at the fall event you probably know a lot of what I am going to outline, but I want the membership as a whole to know where we are and where we hope to go in the coming year. If you missed the fall event you missed a great time! My thanks to the entire fall event committee for an outstanding job! The weather was great, it was great to be able to use one of the premiere state parks in an urban location, and it was fun seeing lots of familiar and new faces!

As the sport of geocaching continues to grow the sport continues to experience growing pains. Many of these “pains” come in the form of additional layers of bureaucracy by different layers of government(s) when it comes to hiding caches. Often times, though not always, we are able to show government bodies that working with geocaching.com’s established reviewer system is easier for them and accomplishes the same end goal we all share - a safe and fun way to enjoy the sport. We’ve had success with Maple Grove dropping all of its registration requirements after MnGCA board members gave the parks board a presentation and were able to answer questions about geocaching. Rogers didn’t pursue its intention to create restrictions after learning more about geocaching. Recently Eden Prairie agreed to consider a trial run of allowing hides in city parks without pre-registering them with their parks department. It is a good first step, and I ask that if you are going to hide a cache in an Eden Prairie park, or anywhere for that matter, just take a brief moment to evaluate if you are picking the best place to hide the cache? What will the impact be of 10 cachers, 100 cachers looking for it? Your hide today can have a direct impact on future hides in your city and others.

To that end we are continuing to try to work with the city of Blaine in hopes of modifying its overly restrictive cache-placing policy. We will keep the membership updated on our progress, and welcome any suggestions and input along the way. Any local residents are encouraged to get involved and show the city how geocachers enjoy and protect the parks.

There has been much discussion on the forums recently about adding representatives from specific geographic regions of the state. I will go on record as saying I do not feel the organization is large enough at this point to support additional board members and the added complications that trying to add a regional election will add to our voting process. That doesn’t mean I want to exclude voices in the organization – everyone has something to contribute. Anyone who is a member in any part of the state can volunteer at any point to work on event committees, coin or t-shirt designs, or any kind of event you want to host in your neck of the woods. The board is here to serve you, and we continue to welcome your input on this and any other issue! And any member is welcome to run for a Board position – it just may take a little more campaigning for your name to be known in all the corners of the state.

Finally as the seasons change I encourage everyone to get out and find some caches in our great fall weather! Remember deer hunting season is fast approaching, so packing your blaze orange might not be a bad idea. Also remember the MnGCA exists for you and because of you, I encourage everyone to get involved - attend or even plan a weekNIGHT event! They’re tons of fun. Enjoy meeting fellow cachers at Breakfast Buddies events, or any of the many, many events local cachers plan all winter long!

See you on the trails!

Mrs. Mizzou
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> President's Cacheside Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: