MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Needs Maintenance log question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobboTeam
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
BobboTeam wrote:
Boreal Walker wrote:
I actually own two cache listings with multiple containers. I just don't care enough to get the extras. The point of the cache was not to be too evil, just get cachers to the particular location and enjoy it.

I can't tell if you are being flippant here or not. If not, I see that phrase in bold as a problem.

My cache, my rules.

You can do whatever you like, I suppose. And for the record, I have a lot of respect for the quality of your hides. As a point of information, however, here are the official Groundspeak policies about throwdowns. In other words, your cache, their rules:

3.8. Throwdowns - How to handle them

A throwdown is when a geocacher places a new geocache container when the previous geocache is missing or cannot be found. Throwdowns are placed so the geocacher can log a find on a geocache that they couldn't find and suspect is missing. Geocaches should never be replaced without the permission of the geocache owner as this frequently leads to multiple containers at the location and disputes about whether you found the "real" container and are entitled to log a find.

Our policy is that geocache owners are responsible for maintenance, so as soon as they are aware of throwdowns, the physical geocache should be checked and if it is still there, the throwdown geocache should be removed. If this is not done, there will be no way for geocachers to be sure they are finding the correct geocache container. If subsequent find logs indicate multiple or inconsistent containers, it can often be a sign that a maintenance visit by the geocache owner has not taken place. In these cases, it is reasonable for the geocache owner to allow finds of the throwdown to be logged online as found because the finder generally cannot determine whether they found a throwdown instead of the original container. The original geocacher who placed the throwdown does not have a strong claim to log the geocache online as found.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, he's allowing finds on the throwdown.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobboTeam wrote:
If subsequent find logs indicate multiple or inconsistent containers, it can often be a sign that a maintenance visit by the geocache owner has not taken place. In these cases, it is reasonable for the geocache owner to allow finds of the throwdown to be logged online as found because the finder generally cannot determine whether they found a throwdown instead of the original container.

As long as BW allows finds on the throwdowns, which it sounds like he does, he's within the rules.

If there's multiple caches, I would contact the owner if I thought he cared, or just mention it in my log, rather than logging a NM, since the reviewer sometimes gets involved for NM and I don't think that's necessary for this case. As long as the finders have something to find, the cache is OK.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that reminds me of the time I tried to find a cache that two other people had already found, and ended up finding a cache with a blank log. One of the cache co-owners checked on it before FTF and couldn't find it, so he put out a new one. The other people found the original cache and I found the replacement. Then he emailed me and said, "Hey you found the wrong cache, you need to go back and find the other one." Don't think so, sorry.. Laughing
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a cache that got muggled so much that the owner just threw down 4 caches and let you log it if you find any of them: http://coord.info/GCFB3C
BobboTeam
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
BobboTeam wrote:
If subsequent find logs indicate multiple or inconsistent containers, it can often be a sign that a maintenance visit by the geocache owner has not taken place. In these cases, it is reasonable for the geocache owner to allow finds of the throwdown to be logged online as found because the finder generally cannot determine whether they found a throwdown instead of the original container.

As long as BW allows finds on the throwdowns, which it sounds like he does, he's within the rules.

If there's multiple caches, I would contact the owner if I thought he cared, or just mention it in my log, rather than logging a NM, since the reviewer sometimes gets involved for NM and I don't think that's necessary for this case. As long as the finders have something to find, the cache is OK.

Fair enough, I definitely see the point. I guess it was the "I don't care" that bothered me.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
Here's a cache that got muggled so much that the owner just threw down 4 caches and let you log it if you find any of them: http://coord.info/GCFB3C

And I can't find any of them. I've been to GZ's at least twice, and got very frustrated the last time, as my DNF log indicates. Going back again for the Holidays so may or may not try again.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
BobboTeam wrote:
Boreal Walker wrote:
I actually own two cache listings with multiple containers. I just don't care enough to get the extras. The point of the cache was not to be too evil, just get cachers to the particular location and enjoy it.

I can't tell if you are being flippant here or not. If not, I see that phrase in bold as a problem.

My cache, my rules.

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: