MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Continuing Education, well sort of - GSAK
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Continuing Education, well sort of - GSAK Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
Da Bloodhound wrote:
I'm sure somewhere along the way someone took the time to teach you the basics of your computer/programming skills Bart. I am just suggesting an event where each one could take some notes and ask some basic questions to help get them started.
If osmosis works I would be happy to rescind my suggestion. Confused

Totally agree.

I am a computer programmer myself and even I struggled a lot with GSAK at first. Could I have figured it out by trying and trying and trying again until I eventually figured it out on my own? Probably, yeah. But, given I only have so many hours in a week to devote to "hobby" time, it was going to take a long time that way and who wants to spend their hobby time struggling and struggling over something?

Then I went to the 2012 GeoTech Event and attended both the beginner and advanced sessions given by Tamwood53 there, and it was fantastic. Totally unlocked the door for me, and at least in my experience, once you get that hands on experience and get shown how a few things work, then if you are technically savvy, you can figure out more and more things on your own.

I don't think I am good enough at it to teach a class myself, but I would definitely be interested in attending more classes on the topic, and I think it is a great idea for anyone interested in learning the tool if there is anyone confident enough in the software to lead the class... Does anyone know if Tamwood53 would be up for it again?

Why am I not surprised about the two that keep piling it on..

GSAK isn't hard to learn at all if you can get past the overwhelming "look" of it all. I am not suggesting an event is a bad idea. What I am suggesting is that an event isn't going to do much unless you work with GSAK all the time, which I contend you should have been doing all along instead of sitting there staring at the screen with a glazed look on your face. Laughing Stop feeling threatened by GSAK and starting clicking things to learn it.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Continuing Education, well sort of - GSAK Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

GSAK isn't hard to learn at all if you can get past the overwhelming "look" of it all. I am not suggesting an event is a bad idea. What I am suggesting is that an event isn't going to do much unless you work with GSAK all the time, which I contend you should have been doing all along instead of sitting there staring at the screen with a glazed look on your face. Laughing Stop feeling threatened by GSAK and starting clicking things to learn it.

Yes, I know. Anyone that doesn't agree with you is "piling it on". Even though this is a topic for those of us that ARE interested in some kind of class and/or finding someone to help teach it. You don't see that much value in such a class, and that is fine, but there are many of us that do, and that is actually what this particular forum topic is for.

And, yes, I WAS playing with GSAK. I wasn't "threatened" by it, I wasn't just staring at it. I was managing, but it was a struggle, and I was never sure if I was doing it the "wrong" way or if that was just how it was supposed to be. It is true that I would have eventually figured it out on my own, but it would have taken much longer and would have been more frustrating. I found the event/class to be invaluable to me, and I would think even more so to someone who is a bit more intimidated by new software.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
Or another option would be someone to put together a step by step guide to accomplish basic functions... queries, transferring cache stats to gc.com, etc. Like a GSAK for dummies. I know I can use it. I would buy GSAK if it was easier to use for me.

We did get a very nice folder binder thing full of information and step by step instructions from the Tamwood53 class. If he isn't available to lead another one, I wonder if he'd be able to share the soft copy from that class?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Continuing Education, well sort of - GSAK Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Yes, I know. Anyone that doesn't agree with you is "piling it on".

No, not anyone. Just you. Wink
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Continuing Education, well sort of - GSAK Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
No, not anyone. Just you. Wink

Rolling Eyes
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salsman wrote:
dmnrec wrote:
I'm still working through it. My big issue right now is when I do "My finds", it's leaving out all archived caches that I had found/events I had attended. I went through my query and the only thing I have checked is "I have found". I'm including all types of caches, so why is it leaving out caches that are now archived?

A general run-of-the-mill pocket query doesn't contain archived caches. Fortunately, you don't need to create a query if you want one of your finds. They've made generating this query simple. Scroll to the bottom of the pocket query page, and push the "Add to Queue" button. It will generate a query of all your finds (including archived caches) and send you an e-mail when it's ready.

That is the way I had set it up. It did contain them at one point, but now it doesn't. Possible that with my screwing around with the whole deal, I might have done something to delete them myself at some point. I did try to remove it from my list of queries, then re-added it...now it shows a line crossed through it. Since it says you can only do it once every three days, I'm going to give it a go at the end of the week. Shouldn't make much of a difference to me right now since I'm on a really good dnf streak. Laughing
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got it to work now. I just totally deleted everything, then started from square one and somehow it worked. The youtube tutorial then guided me through getting it on my profile, and I think he did it different from what someone else had showed me.

Too bad they didn't have youtube back when I was in college failing PASCAL, Laughing .
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
Too bad they didn't have youtube back when I was in college failing PASCAL, Laughing .

UCSD Pascal back in the day, compiling was a real bummer. I could have used YouTube for FORTRAN back before I dropped out of engineering and became a normal human.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as a quick method of having just your finds this is what I've done, may not be the most elegant, but it works.

I create a whole new database in GSAK and call it My Finds. I then run the PQ that does all of my finds. Once I can download that I do and I import just that file into the My Finds database. Presto, the only thing in that database is stuff I've found. If I want to see all the other GSAK data I just switch to my "main" database which usually only has PQ's relating to Minnesota. My Finds database on the other hand has all our finds across the US, Russia and the other European countries. I have found this to be a very simple method for having all of my finds without having to do any filtering or anything.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
As far as a quick method of having just your finds this is what I've done, may not be the most elegant, but it works.

I create a whole new database in GSAK and call it My Finds. I then run the PQ that does all of my finds. Once I can download that I do and I import just that file into the My Finds database. Presto, the only thing in that database is stuff I've found. If I want to see all the other GSAK data I just switch to my "main" database which usually only has PQ's relating to Minnesota. My Finds database on the other hand has all our finds across the US, Russia and the other European countries. I have found this to be a very simple method for having all of my finds without having to do any filtering or anything.

This is very similar to what I do. I also create other databases for other reasons. For example, every vacation we go on gets its own database that we just use temporarily to plan our trip and then I delete it after.
Copaman
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also set one up called "My Hides" that has all my hides in it. Whenever a new cache of mine gets published, I go and add that cache to the database through the GC.com interface. So, I have "My Finds" in one database and "My Hides" in another, and then add other databases as needed.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copaman wrote:
I also set one up called "My Hides" that has all my hides in it. Whenever a new cache of mine gets published, I go and add that cache to the database through the GC.com interface. So, I have "My Finds" in one database and "My Hides" in another, and then add other databases as needed.

Yep, same here as well. For the stats macro I use, you need finds and hides in separate databases I believe, if you want stats on both.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my main database includes My Finds, My Hides, and Unsolved puzzles in the metro area. I like having all that in one spot, and just use a filter to get at the parts I happen to be working on. I only rarely use other databases, and usually that is because of travel, or some unusual challenge and is temporary.

I track all my puzzles on GSAK. I can look at which puzzles are closest to home - both solved and unsolved. GSAK keeps the solved coordinates for me (although now GC.com does this too.) I can filter for only the puzzles with solved coordinates, then use a macro to create a map of where all my solved puzzles are. Great for planning a puzzle run.

I update this database only, using the My Finds PQ, and a PQ I have set up for my unsolved puzzles in a radius from my home. Then I individually update the coordinates of puzzles as I solve them.

I only load to my GPS from GSAK my solved puzzles. All the rest of the caches I load to my GPS go straight from a PQ. That's just the way I do it. I know everyone has their own way.
tamwood53
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Continuing Education, well sort of - GSAK Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
Da Bloodhound wrote:
I'm sure somewhere along the way someone took the time to teach you the basics of your computer/programming skills Bart. I am just suggesting an event where each one could take some notes and ask some basic questions to help get them started.
If osmosis works I would be happy to rescind my suggestion. Confused

Totally agree.

I am a computer programmer myself and even I struggled a lot with GSAK at first. Could I have figured it out by trying and trying and trying again until I eventually figured it out on my own? Probably, yeah. But, given I only have so many hours in a week to devote to "hobby" time, it was going to take a long time that way and who wants to spend their hobby time struggling and struggling over something?

Then I went to the 2012 GeoTech Event and attended both the beginner and advanced sessions given by Tamwood53 there, and it was fantastic. Totally unlocked the door for me, and at least in my experience, once you get that hands on experience and get shown how a few things work, then if you are technically savvy, you can figure out more and more things on your own.

I don't think I am good enough at it to teach a class myself, but I would definitely be interested in attending more classes on the topic, and I think it is a great idea for anyone interested in learning the tool if there is anyone confident enough in the software to lead the class... Does anyone know if Tamwood53 would be up for it again?

I would be up for it, in fact I am in the "Find a place for the event" stage. Right now (2/5/14)
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be there if I could. I made it to the last one. I used one macro with my Nuvi in the past then had to switch to another. It wasn't giving me coords with the discription so I was told about another macro that is supposed to be wonderful. Now I have no coords., description, logs, hints, etc. Only the cache name and the distance to it is what shows now. I have to work with it and try to get it up and running. I don't doubt it is a great macro. User error. To think someone was telling me I needed to write my own macro. Rolling Eyes Any information on macros would be much appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: