MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Continuing Education, well sort of - GSAK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Continuing Education, well sort of - GSAK Reply with quote

Greetings Fellow Addicts,
I was wondering if there is any interest by the more knowledgeable individuals in our hobby of holding an event (again) to explain the workings of Geocaching Swiss Army Knife to those of us that are not quite so computer program saavy?
Thanks, Happy Holidays and Good Caching Very Happy
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or another option would be someone to put together a step by step guide to accomplish basic functions... queries, transferring cache stats to gc.com, etc. Like a GSAK for dummies. I know I can use it. I would buy GSAK if it was easier to use for me.
XHawk
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in learning about it. A guide would sure be helpful.
salsman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSAK tutorials are out there. Here's part 1 of what looks like at least an 8 part series. I didn't watch more than a few minutes, but it looks like he did a good job with it.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salsman wrote:
GSAK tutorials are out there. Here's part 1 of what looks like at least an 8 part series. I didn't watch more than a few minutes, but it looks like he did a good job with it.

Thanks! Very Happy
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from an IT support background a long time ago, and unfortunately the friend and family help-desk for many many years, if you can't figure out the fundamentals of GSAK on your own, chances are a class isn't going to help either. That's no insult either.. either you can do it or you can't.

The thing is, if you're not technically savvy (and not everyone is), you have to learn by doing, and doing, and then do it again.
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Coming from an IT support background a long time ago, and unfortunately the friend and family help-desk for many many years, if you can't figure out the fundamentals of GSAK on your own, chances are a class isn't going to help either. That's no insult either.. either you can do it or you can't.

The thing is, if you're not technically savvy (and not everyone is), you have to learn by doing, and doing, and then do it again.

True... doing it teaches you how to do it. I watched someone else do it several times, but until I wrote down the steps as to what he was doing and then did it myself with those steps, then it finally started to come together. Guess I'm a step by step person Laughing .
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Continuing Education, well sort of - GSAK Reply with quote

I'm sure somewhere along the way someone took the time to teach you the basics of your computer/programming skills Bart. I am just suggesting an event where each one could take some notes and ask some basic questions to help get them started.
If osmosis works I would be happy to rescind my suggestion. Confused
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always happy to answer questions. Just PM me. I'm sure most anyone else here would too.

I watched the video mentioned above because I was hoping to glean a few more tidbits, but I guess I knew more than I gave myself credit for. The videos are quite well done and are very basic.
Da Bloodhound
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Continuing Education, well sort of - GSAK Reply with quote

I did take in the entire eight part YouTube video series starting with "Geocaching with GSAK Part 1: The Basics" and it was quite informative. As you would suspect I was left with some unanswered questions but perhaps the owner of the series, Cache freak Tim, will be willing to answer them through his web site.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give it a try too!
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Continuing Education, well sort of - GSAK Reply with quote

Da Bloodhound wrote:
I'm sure somewhere along the way someone took the time to teach you the basics of your computer/programming skills Bart. I am just suggesting an event where each one could take some notes and ask some basic questions to help get them started.
If osmosis works I would be happy to rescind my suggestion. Confused

Totally agree.

I am a computer programmer myself and even I struggled a lot with GSAK at first. Could I have figured it out by trying and trying and trying again until I eventually figured it out on my own? Probably, yeah. But, given I only have so many hours in a week to devote to "hobby" time, it was going to take a long time that way and who wants to spend their hobby time struggling and struggling over something?

Then I went to the 2012 GeoTech Event and attended both the beginner and advanced sessions given by Tamwood53 there, and it was fantastic. Totally unlocked the door for me, and at least in my experience, once you get that hands on experience and get shown how a few things work, then if you are technically savvy, you can figure out more and more things on your own.

I don't think I am good enough at it to teach a class myself, but I would definitely be interested in attending more classes on the topic, and I think it is a great idea for anyone interested in learning the tool if there is anyone confident enough in the software to lead the class... Does anyone know if Tamwood53 would be up for it again?
dmnrec
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still working through it. My big issue right now is when I do "My finds", it's leaving out all archived caches that I had found/events I had attended. I went through my query and the only thing I have checked is "I have found". I'm including all types of caches, so why is it leaving out caches that are now archived?
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
I'm still working through it. My big issue right now is when I do "My finds", it's leaving out all archived caches that I had found/events I had attended. I went through my query and the only thing I have checked is "I have found". I'm including all types of caches, so why is it leaving out caches that are now archived?

Are you sure your found log is in the DB? Sometimes it will happen to me that it doesn't recognize a cache as found if there were a lot of finders after me and my log didn't get picked up (but this only happens to me if I download the cache into the DB manually rather than by a "My finds" pocket query.)

Edited to add: And to solve that situation, you just need to "get recent logs" of a high enough number to grab yours.
salsman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:

A general run-of-the-mill pocket query doesn't contain archived caches. Fortunately, you don't need to create a query if you want one of your finds. They've made generating this query simple. Scroll to the bottom of the pocket query page, and push the "Add to Queue" button. It will generate a query of all your finds (including archived caches) and send you an e-mail when it's ready.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: