MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QR Barcoded Geocaches are NOT Elitist
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
bflentje wrote:
I desperately want a new ZR1 Vette and can't afford it. Damned elitists anyhow..

I saw one upside down in some of the Illinois tornado pictures. I bet you could pick it up real cheap.

I know that on Government Liquidations .com there was a C130 at MSP listed for sale pretty cheap. You might have to put it back together once you get home but it's a start.
BobboTeam
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinMN wrote:
Copaman wrote:
What, are "chirps" elitist, since you need a special GPSr to decode them?

Let's not forget Wherigo's...

What about caches with difficulty ratings of 5! Those are hard! I think that is elitist too! Not to mention all those fancy European geocaches! I mean, who has the money to fly all the way over there just to hunt for them! Damned Euro-elitists! However, that difficulty 5, terrain 5 cache on the International Space Station; that's just playing the game fairly and squarely, surely.

A more serious reply: As long as I know the deal before I start looking for it, it's a fair play. I would be frustrated to make a long hike, and a grueling search, only to learn when I open the container that there is a QR code as part of the experience. If the cache page cautions that a smartphone or digital camera is an essential TOTT in the field, then it's just plain fun.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobboTeam wrote:
A more serious reply: As long as I know the deal before I start looking for it, it's a fair play. I would be frustrated to make a long hike, and a grueling search, only to learn when I open the container that there is a QR code as part of the experience. If the cache page cautions that a smartphone or digital camera is an essential TOTT in the field, then it's just plain fun.

But wait, you would consider Not Knowing as unfair play?
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought is the "special tool" attribute is there for any cache requiring the finder to bring a ToTT. As long as that attribute is there - what the special tool is is fair game for the finder to figure out (and the finder has been warned). If the hider would rather the finder use a specific tool rather than leaving it up to the finder, the hider should mention it.

Btw - given that geocaching basically requires a GPS, any talk of elitism seems misplaced.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
My thought is the "special tool" attribute is there for any cache requiring the finder to bring a ToTT. As long as that attribute is there - what the special tool is is fair game for the finder to figure out (and the finder has been warned). If the hider would rather the finder use a specific tool rather than leaving it up to the finder, the hider should mention it.

Btw - given that geocaching basically requires a GPS, any talk of elitism seems misplaced.

Most TOTT are inexpensive and a one time cost. On the other hand the fancy phone is an expensive purchase and a huge monthly payment. Not everyone can afford that luxury. If a fancy phone is needed the co should include that.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Most TOTT are inexpensive and a one time cost. On the other hand the fancy phone is an expensive purchase and a huge monthly payment. Not everyone can afford that luxury. If a fancy phone is needed the co should include that.

You can get a smart phone for free and you can get a monthly plan that is cheaper than an MTC bus pass.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get an iPod touch with a camera in it. Take a picture of the QR code, and then use the app to decode it in the field. One time cost. No monthly fees.

And technically, geocaching already has a "huge" monthly fee. Gas is not cheap. It is all a matter of what you choose to spend your money on.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ipod touch $200+
Mtc pass $59.00-$100.00 per month

I grew up poor and continue to struggle due to the loss of my job. I know what it's like to live with less. For those of you in the upper income you may not understand what it's like. $100.00 is huge when you don't have it. I passed on going to the Breakfast buddies this month since it was 45miles away.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like a cache, or the decisions another cacher makes regarding when and where to hold an event, DON'T PARTICIPATE.
I could call all island caches elitist. I don't have a canoe, or a kayak, or waders. Rather large expenses as well. I can borrow one, or go with a friend who has one, or skip the cache all together.
I have options, and so do people who don't have smart phones. We all have struggles, and our crosses to bear.
This is a game. Making accusations and calling names are not appropriate.
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Ipod touch $200+

I grew up poor and continue to struggle due to the loss of my job. I know what it's like to live with less. For those of you in the upper income you may not understand what it's like. $100.00 is huge when you don't have it. I passed on going to the Breakfast buddies this month since it was 45miles away.

An iPod Touch is a one time cost to you. MTC pass is PER MONTH.

We all understand that you are financially challenged. We all know it's frustrating. We have all been there at some point in our lives. It will get better. You complain about being poor but yet you still manage to find the resources to find well over 200 caches a month. That's a lot of gas money...

You have two options - go with a friend that has a smartphone or don't seek the cache. You don't have to find them all.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Ipod touch $200+

Or $50 on eBay.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Ipod touch $200+

I've been poor and I've been middle class. I understand. You see, I grew up dirt poor too, and every dime I have I've earned on my own. So to me, calling me and my cache elitist is nothing more than an insult to some of us that have worked are arses off over the years.

The bottom line is, for better or for worse, life is not fair and it's best to just stop holding people's incomes or resources over their head like a knife. Smartphone or not, knowing in advance or not, it just doesn't matter and it's time to just move on.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm being attacked by many people sensitive about their wealth. I DID NOT make any statement to any one person. I just said "For those of you in the upper income you may not understand what it's like" one Some may understand and some may not. I was not saying all rich people, just some. Sorry some misunderstood this. It was not personal against any one of you. There's is no need to attack me.

I do get around for some caching, MMCC where we carpool and go out as a group. Other times I go caching with a good friend who has not asked for gas money. I have done work for them to repay them for their kindness.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Looks like I'm being attacked by many people sensitive about their wealth. I DID NOT make any statement to any one person. I just said "For those of you in the upper income you may not understand what it's like" one Some may understand and some may not. I was not saying all rich people, just some. Sorry some misunderstood this. It was not personal against any one of you. There's is no need to attack me.

I do get around for some caching, MMCC where we carpool and go out as a group. Other times I go caching with a good friend who has not asked for gas money. I have done work for them to repay them for their kindness.

"I" am not on the attack. In fact, I've been recently attacked by being called elitist because one of my geocaches uses a barcode. That's what precipitated this. Rusty, I think you brought on your own issues. Wink Wink
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably worth noting that Rustynails has already found the cache in question.

Edit to add - I really don't want it to appear like I am picking on Rustynails. If it does appear like I am picking on Rustynails, I would like to apologize in advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: