MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache statistics for an area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Cache statistics for an area Reply with quote

I was trying to see if there was to compile the cache statistics for an area. Something like the standard stats groundspeak has (D/Ts, cache types, cache sizes) only for a 10 mile radius around a given location.

Has anyone used www.project-gc.com?
It seems like they have that feature but I am reluctant to log in with our groundspeak account.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have GSAK I suppose you could run the PQ of your found caches, then filter it down to the 10 mile radius and once that is done run the Find Stat Gen macro. In theory it should only run the caches that are left in the filter...
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Find Stat Gen macro unfilters your databasse and refilters it for all found caches.

Are you looking for a specific cache style or just want to see what cachers are hiding in your neck of the woods?
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mostly curious to see what was hidden in our neck of the woods - kind of a way to establish "par" for where we live.
salsman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

project-gc.com is pretty cool if you like playing with stats. It also does so some nice queries of the GC.com database. They only want your user ID to authenticate with the Groundspeak API - nothing nefarious. However, it won't do the type of granular search you're looking for.

If I were looking to tabulate that kind of data I would run a PQ of all caches (found & unfound) 10 miles from my home, load them into a dedicated GSAK DB, mark them all as "found", then run FindStatGen as others have suggested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: