MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Field Note Date Issues?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Field Note Date Issues? Reply with quote

Anyone having any new field note date issues? I am just doing our logs from our recent road trip, and after getting through over half the logs, I noticed the dates are all off by one, so I had to go through and adjust all of them back. The weird thing is that the outside page shows the date just fine, but it is when I go to do the log that the date gets bumped forward by one.

For example, on the page that says "Your Field Notes", where the 2nd column is the date, that is the correct date and time of our find. But, when I click "Compose Log", then the date of the log gets set to 1 date later.

This has never happened to me before, and I'm not dealing with any kind of time zone shift or even times that are close to midnight. Any ideas?
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's odd! I no more than post this and get home to show the other half what was going on, and now it isn't happening anymore!
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue. I wonder if the time on my GPSr was off. Some of the logs had the correct date and then about 10:00 at night they started registering the next day.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonkaMN wrote:
I had the same issue. I wonder if the time on my GPSr was off. Some of the logs had the correct date and then about 10:00 at night they started registering the next day.

Well, I've noticed that sometimes too, like if it is near the end of the day, it will sometimes register to the next day. But, this was different than that. It would add a day to everything, even ones logged at Noon. And I clicked on one "compose log" and saw the issue but then later in the day, clicking on that same exact one didn't do it anymore.

Furthermore, I used the same field notes document to do the logs for our team name plus each of our individual accounts and it failed miserably for the first half when I was doing our team name, but worked just fine for each individual account. I think something was going on funky with groundspeak during that time...
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Groundspeak tinkering. That is what I surmised. On Friday I was logging and normally when one enters a date for a log, every log after that uses that same date until it is changed or the geocaching window is closed. Not so that morning. I had to enter every date or it would default to November 15. More than once I had to edit my logs to have the date right. Later in the day it cleared up
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aix sponsa wrote:
It was Groundspeak tinkering. That is what I surmised. On Friday I was logging and normally when one enters a date for a log, every log after that uses that same date until it is changed or the geocaching window is closed. Not so that morning. I had to enter every date or it would default to November 15. More than once I had to edit my logs to have the date right. Later in the day it cleared up

Glad I wasn't the only one that encountered side effects from their "tinkering". Except mine resulted in the editing of hundreds of logs, since I had all of our trackables visit the caches we visited (to log our miles) and so all of those had to be corrected as well. Sigh... It was only like an hour or so of work, but still, I wish they'd do their tinkering on a test server rather than their production system!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: