MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vehicle Life

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
P.S. The Bonneville has 338,000 miles

Sorry to go off topic, but I must know more! What kind of engine is this and how is it still running with this many miles? I know Cummins diesel engines are supposed to go a million miles, but I thought most cars petered out at around 200,000. Did you rebuild the engine or anything on it?

Just very intrigued because we are currently having a debate in our household over our cars. One is over 180,000 and the other is over 160,000 and both have seen better days. I feel like we have a lot of miles left on at least one of these cars yet and that we should keep driving them until one of them finally dies, and then replace it with a newer car, but the other half really wants to get rid of the oldest car and get a newer one now.

We also can't agree on what kind of vehicle to get, but that is a whole other topic... Smile
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
A-body wrote:

Sorry to go off topic, but I must know more! What kind of engine is this and how is it still running with this many miles? I know Cummins diesel engines are supposed to go a million miles, but I thought most cars petered out at around 200,000. Did you rebuild the engine or anything on it?

Just very intrigued because we are currently having a debate in our household over our cars. One is over 180,000 and the other is over 160,000 and both have seen better days. I feel like we have a lot of miles left on at least one of these cars yet and that we should keep driving them until one of them finally dies, and then replace it with a newer car, but the other half really wants to get rid of the oldest car and get a newer one now.

We also can't agree on what kind of vehicle to get, but that is a whole other topic... Smile

Only owned one car that died at less than 230,000 miles. That included Chrysler and Chevy products. The engines go forever on those old Chryslers, it was the transmissions that did them in (for us it was an average of three transmissions per Chrysler).

Austin
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinMN wrote:
Only owned one car that died at less than 230,000 miles. That included Chrysler and Chevy products. The engines go forever on those old Chryslers, it was the transmissions that did them in (for us it was an average of three transmissions per Chrysler).

Austin

Interesting! I grew up in a Chrysler family too and that is what we own. The one is really getting on its last leg. The A/C has broken on it and the power steering is a little flaky. The transmission seems like it might be going too. That is the one with over 180,000 on it. But it is over 16 years old and owes us nothing. It is also an eye sore (the paint has literally worn off the thing). But, it makes a great spare car and is great for me to drive in the winter cuz we want to protect the truck from salt and then it doesn't matter that it doesn't have A/C then.

The other car is just starting to have some electrical issues. Makes some weird noises, the electric door locks are flaky, the heat/cold settings sometimes have a mind of their own, etc. But, I think some of those things we can live with and others we might want to invest in fixing. That one only has around 160,000.
lilbeardy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
A-body wrote:

never had to replace tranny or motor, but 3 fuel pumps

1998 Bonneville SSEi

3.8 V6 Supercharged

still gets 30 mpg

actually it only has about 100 geocaching miles

Changing oil every 1200 miles

haven't been driven in a while insurance is too expensive (3 months)

Its woolychaps2's car

were cheapskates

don't fix it if it ant broke
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is MN. Most likely the body and suspension will rot out and the electrical systems will corrode from road salt long before the drive-train wears out. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilbeardy wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
A-body wrote:

never had to replace tranny or motor, but 3 fuel pumps

1998 Bonneville SSEi

3.8 V6 Supercharged

still gets 30 mpg

actually it only has about 100 geocaching miles

Changing oil every 1200 miles

haven't been driven in a while insurance is too expensive (3 months)

Its woolychaps2's car

were cheapskates

don't fix it if it ant broke

That is so awesome! Very Happy
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:
This is MN. Most likely the body and suspension will rot out and the electrical systems will corrode from road salt long before the drive-train wears out. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Well, that is one of the issues with our old car. The power steering belt probably needs replacing, but one of the bolts that you need to loosen to access it is so rusted that it is a pain to work on.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a 98 Dodge Dakota a few years ago with 303K on the clock. Everything worked except the air, engine was never touched. The buyer was still driving it a year later. My 95 Dakota and 98 Dodge vans I sold with about 285K, 91 Lumina with 235K. Engines last much longer that they did in the 50's, 60's, 70's because of tolerances, and lower RPM's.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tahoe cache-mobile has 268,000 miles on it. Hoping to get it to 300,000 miles or get it to run until April, whichever comes last.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously impressed with all the miles you guys are getting on your vehicles! This is also giving me more of a leg to stand on with the other half that we don't need a new vehicle just yet. 160,000 and 180,000 seem like nothing compared to your numbers! Very Happy
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
I am seriously impressed with all the miles you guys are getting on your vehicles! This is also giving me more of a leg to stand on with the other half that we don't need a new vehicle just yet. 160,000 and 180,000 seem like nothing compared to your numbers! Very Happy

I've had no major issues but plenty of other expenses. But meticulous care is the key.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:

I've had no major issues but plenty of other expenses. But meticulous care is the key.

Yeah, that is why we tend to give up on cars when they start to near the 200K mark. We've always felt like the engine or transmission could go at any moment, and so even moderate fixes seem not worth it. But this might change our view on that a little bit...

We are pretty good about care in terms of routine maintenance, oil changes, etc., but I tend to be a little hard on cars in terms of not driving them as nice as I could (in terms of accelerating quickly, etc.)
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '96 S-10 Blazer has 200,000 miles on it now. I bought it from my parents, so I know all the maintenance that was done on it and I know my mom doesn't drive like a bat out of heck, either.

Work that has been done:
Rebuilt rear axle - I wanted an LSD (limited slip differential) so I rebuilt the entire rear axle
New water pump
New A/C compressor
New heater core
New radiator
New gas tank and fuel pump

In 2011, I went through a HUGE mud puddle with it on Ft McCoy during my last AT before I retired from the Army. Ingested water into the engine and seized it. I pulled all the plugs, replaced them, replaced the air filter and the throttle position sensor and it's still going strong. No ill effects at all. I still drive it at least weekly.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Volvo died at just under 400,000 miles last year. It finally slipped a cog and was going to cost far more to fix it than it was worth. I did not own it for all those miles but 2 owners before me was a Volvo mechanic so I got lucky. I've heard many Volvos lasting with similar miles and not a lot of repair BUT it might cost you when it does depending on what it is and whether it's easy to reach.

We inherited a 95 LeSabre 3 years ago that now has 140,000 and barely a spot of rust. Undercarriage is solid. It did sit for a year because it had sensor issues and the dealer and another garage couldn't figure it out. After some reading on the interwebby I suggested to Scott to replace the computer altogether, $35, and it totally fixed the sensor issue and it's back on the road. From what I'm hearing it could go more than double the current miles if maintained. Rides nice but the seats are too squishy for my liking.

My next car will be another Volvo. Love 'em.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: