MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geo-Vacation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Geo-Vacation Reply with quote

If you could take a geocaching vacation anywhere in the US, where would you go?

I'm curious what everyone thinks but am also looking for ideas for ourselves. We have a 4 day weekend coming up in November and are looking to have a little mini-vacation (preferably by flight / preferably somewhere warmer). Looking to maybe cross off a couple new states, so that rules out Washington(Seattle) and Florida. Also needs to be something not too difficult for terrain as we'll have a 5 yr old in tow.

Thanks!
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to find a destination you want to visit and then look for caches there rather than vice versa.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to vote with schmittfamily. Whatever your interests, there will generally be geocaches in the vicinity. Find what else interests you (museums / scenery / nature / night life / amusement parks / lakes etc.), then pick some caches in the area. Pocket queries can help you find memorable caches once you find the place.

Austin
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what we normally do for sure, but I'm just trying to approach it from a different angle this time. I know we want to go somewhere, but we were having trouble deciding where, so I had the idea to approach it from a geocaching standpoint. Some of our best trips lately have been because of some geocaching thing - either going after a particular series (like the Avian Adventure) or going to some event (like MOGA). One thing I will look at is if there is a particular area that will help us complete any challenges we are working on, but I was also just checking to see if any of you have any input on particularly great areas to cache, or great caches to visit.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four days? Road trip down I-35 to Dallas and back. The oldest cache in Texas is there
TriggerMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never gone to Washington D.C. I have to imagine that you can find a plethora of virtual caches there and see the nation's history at the same time, as well as get to at least Maryland and Virginia via a short car ride.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriggerMN wrote:
I've never gone to Washington D.C. I have to imagine that you can find a plethora of virtual caches there and see the nation's history at the same time, as well as get to at least Maryland and Virginia via a short car ride.

Better go before the next government shutdown.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
TriggerMN wrote:

Better go before the next government shutdown.

Laughing
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriggerMN wrote:

Definitely want to visit that area some time, but I want to wait for when the Cherry Blossoms are blooming. That has always been on my "to do" list but we just haven't done it yet...
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New England- You can cross off a number of states in a very short time period.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
New England- You can cross off a number of states in a very short time period.

Very much want to visit there - we've never even visited those states before geocaching! The farthest east we've ever been (in the US) was New York (pre-geocaching). I would think that would make a nice road trip to cover all of the states in New England (maybe a lot of counties too).
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad it's not a little earlier -- November you'll miss the fall foliage. But New England is still great to visit. Used to live in CT. To go from southwest CT all the way up to Acadia in Maine is only a 7 hour drive so you can definitely cover CT, RI, MA, VT, NH and ME if state coverage is your goal -- just fly in and rent a car.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
Four days? Road trip down I-35 to Dallas and back. The oldest cache in Texas is there

And barney Smith's toilet seat museum. a virtual.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to make sure a point is made here - there is a big delta between a driving vacation and a flying vacation. Once you book your flight tickets, you are a lot more committed to the destination. So commiting to a flight for a certain cache is higher risk. Any cache can go belly up at any time. For example, we had Groundspeak cancel our tour one hour before our time slot. They let us log it but we did the Seattle Underground Tour instead. If you are talking flying (especially 3 people) - don't get set on one or two caches.

That said - since New England was mentioned - Boston has a Wherigo set up along the Freedom Trial. So combines geocaching and an American history lesson. Then again, the trial had sites closed during the shutdown.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
I want to make sure a point is made here - there is a big delta between a driving vacation and a flying vacation. Once you book your flight tickets, you are a lot more committed to the destination. So commiting to a flight for a certain cache is higher risk. Any cache can go belly up at any time. For example, we had Groundspeak cancel our tour one hour before our time slot. They let us log it but we did the Seattle Underground Tour instead. If you are talking flying (especially 3 people) - don't get set on one or two caches.

That said - since New England was mentioned - Boston has a Wherigo set up along the Freedom Trial. So combines geocaching and an American history lesson. Then again, the trial had sites closed during the shutdown.

Very good points. I suppose I should mention we are in a little bit different situation. I work for an airline, so we fly for free. However, we fly standby, so we never know for sure if we will make it where we want to make it, and that is always part of the determination of where we go (are the flights open enough to get there AND back home again?). So, that is another reason for trying to approach this from a geocaching standpoint. Trying to think outside the box and not try to go somewhere that everyone else goes, but maybe somewhere a little less popular with the normal crowd, but that might be great for us from a geocaching standpoint.

By the way, that is also why our preference would be a flying trip - cheaper than gas spent on a road trip (as long as the rental car price is reasonable).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: