MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vote for Cache of the Month - November 2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be Cache of the Month for November 2013
GC4NX6Q: Birch Lake Night Cache
46%
 46%  [ 14 ]
GC3F7F6: Thanks Alfred
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
GC25PEQ: Twisted Again
40%
 40%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 30

Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Vote for Cache of the Month - November 2013 Reply with quote

Your nominations for November 2013 Cache of the Month are:

Mystery Cache Icon GC4NX6Q: Birch Lake Night Cache by Boreal Walker
Nominated By: King Boreas
This journey is a nice hike along ski trails, snowmobile trails, game trails, and no trails. It's a wonderful forest for hiking in any season, and now there are a few dozen geocaches. Lots of deer…wear orange.

Multi Cache Icon GC3F7F6: Thanks Alfred by bflentje
Nominated By: Red_Devil35
It is a fairly new cache, but one of the better engineered that I have seen. Lots of care was taken, both in the construction, and the placement. The walk was beautiful, and BigChiefS4 and I learned some stuff, too! This isn't far from the Fall Event on October 12, so lots of you should have the opportunity to find it!
I know nobody likes multis, but you will really miss out if you don't hunt for this cache.

Mystery Cache Icon GC25PEQ: Twisted Again by GeoPierce
Nominated By: schmittfamily
I don't want to post any spoilers but the first stage is a nice field puzzle that is well done. One you can bring the kids to and they can help. Plus being that it is next to Paisley Park - we got the entertainment of dodging Prince groupies at the same time.

If you have any words/reviews for any of the caches up for voting, please share then here by posting a reply...

Voting will be open till the end of the month*. Good luck to all the nominees and keep those great caches coming!

*Note: Due to how the polling works in phpBB the poll may be open for some time past 11:59:59 pm on the last day of the month, or may end sometime during the last day of the month. While we will do what we can to make sure this poll stays open through the month, there is no reason to wait till the last minute. You get one vote and it counts the same no matter when you make it. When a poll is open it is set to be open for a certain number of days, so if for some reason the poll can't be open right at 11:59:59 (say a production issue at work, busy with non-caching activities, feel asleep, etc) then there may be some 'bonus' voting time.
iffy@best
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four moderators and no one wants to announce this? Wonder why...CONGRATULATIONS COOLER CREW CACHERS!!!
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cache that has had no visitors won cache of the month. This speaks volumes.
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:

For once, we are in total agreement.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigChiefS4 wrote:
Rustynails wrote:

I refuse to campaign any time one of my caches is nominated. Either enjoy it or not. But this month proves the COTM program nothing more than a joke.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
BigChiefS4 wrote:
Rustynails wrote:

I refuse to campaign any time one of my caches is nominated. Either enjoy it or not. But this month proves the COTM program nothing more than a joke.

For once (maybe twice Wink ), we are in total agreement.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iffy@best wrote:
Four moderators and no one wants to announce this? Wonder why...CONGRATULATIONS COOLER CREW CACHERS!!!

Uh, actually the Cache of the Month is now handled almost exclusively by ArcherDragoon, who likely has a life outside of geocaching as well and isn't always able to announce the winner on the first of every month. The other moderators are listed more for crowd control than anything.

Rest assured that Archer will announce the COTM winner in due course.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iffy@best wrote:

Oops, looks like you accidentally posted this while you were logged into one of your sock puppet accounts! Laughing
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten tons of great caching ideas over the years from this - obviously I'm not in on the joke this time, but I hope somebody's enjoying it . . . I wouldn't if I'd gotten nominated this month.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 votes? THIS speaks volumes.

arrive...raise heck...leave (SCSA)
TriggerMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. Why would someone nominate a cache they haven't even found yet?

Along those same lines, I don't feel like I should vote for a cache that I haven't found myself. How would I know one is better than another?

It seems that many caches in the COTM nominations have more votes than finders, and not only this months "winner." Is this just due to a cacher popularity contest? Does anyone who regularly votes have a strong opinion one way or the other?
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriggerMN wrote:
I don't feel like I should vote for a cache that I haven't found myself. How would I know one is better than another? Does anyone who regularly votes have a strong opinion one way or the other?

My two cents, and this will need to be moved to a different thread by a moderator.

I don't meet most of the politicians that I vote for either. I take a look at the recommendation posted in the forum. Look at cache page, check out the logs, pictures, and sometimes talk to some of the other finders. Based on this information, I cast my vote.

If I haven't found a cache that has been nominated, I generally throw it into the GPS to find at a later date.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually don't vote unless I've found at least one and think it's COTM worthy. But I also don't knock myself to find all the nominees. (In the case of puzzle caches, that would be impossible for me.) Very Happy

To me the real value is the nominated list not winners. You could probably argue that now that we have favorites, that captures many caches. But for ones that are harder, or more remote / unvisited, COTM still highlights great ones. Sometimes even ones that will always be "armchair caches" for me but are still great, and lift my spirits just knowing they are out there.

I dunno what happened with this month's vote, it has the uneasy feel of an in-joke that not everyone was invited to, which is a little icky, but whatever.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
TriggerMN wrote:
I don't feel like I should vote for a cache that I haven't found myself. How would I know one is better than another? Does anyone who regularly votes have a strong opinion one way or the other?

My two cents, and this will need to be moved to a different thread by a moderator.

I don't meet most of the politicians that I vote for either. I take a look at the recommendation posted in the forum. Look at cache page, check out the logs, pictures, and sometimes talk to some of the other finders. Based on this information, I cast my vote.

If I haven't found a cache that has been nominated, I generally throw it into the GPS to find at a later date.

Nice cache page, but that's all I can tell about that cache. I don't like or dislike a cache based on its graphics.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geocache Thanks Alfred is back in business. At the risk of campaigning after the fact, those of you that truly enjoy a fun geocache for what it is, you might want to give this one a try before it gets ransacked again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: