MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swallowed By Mother Nature

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Swallowed By Mother Nature Reply with quote

I figured I'd post this here rather than the national forums to encourage participation in the local forums. Post your pictures of mother nature reclaiming her world that you've discovered during your geocaching adventures.

We've all see the barbed wire fence that has been swallowed by the tree. Some of us might have even seen pictures of the bicycle swallowed by the tree. But this last weekend near Lake Nokomis, I found a comb that was eaten by the tree.

AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not while caching, but how about a wagon wheel:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/70891204[/img]
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did! At King Boreas' Slender Tiger. A tooth was embedded in the roots of the tree. It was exposed only after the tree fell over. It was worth a run back to the car for my camera.

I think that I recognize that comb. Most certainly it fell out of my back pocket. Has it been that many years? Very Happy

Last edited by Aix sponsa on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
I Spy.
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last month found a 35MM container at the base of a tree that a fungus growing from the tree had completed swallowed! Took a TOTT to dislodge the sucker!
Aix sponsa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my favorite is the cannonball in Old Quebec City that is slowly being enveloped by a tree. That is what happens when you don't pick up after yourself. Trees steal your stuff. Who knew! They look so innocent and sedentary. I saw the cannonball before I knew about virtuals or perhaps before I was even caching. Many have logged this one as a find.

GCHKWJ
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aix sponsa wrote:
I think my favorite is the cannonball in Old Quebec City that is slowly being enveloped by a tree. That is what happens when you don't pick up after yourself. Trees steal your stuff. Who knew! They look so innocent and sedentary. I saw the cannonball before I knew about virtuals or perhaps before I was even caching. Many have logged this one as a find.

GCHKWJ

Thanks for the reminder AS.
10/5/09

bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this while recently geocaching in Gary, SD. The new lodge in town used to be a school for the blind years ago. This skate was left by one of the residents back in the day and the lodge alleges the "other" skate on display inside is the mate to the one embedded here in the tree. I suppose it's plausible..

lilbeardy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My great uncle told me about when straw pierced the shingles of his barn. He said that "there was a tornado back in the mid' 60's was powerful enough to pull straw from the bales and pierce the shingles while getting stuck. That barn has been gone for 40 years. Eventually the farm became a resort.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: