MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 MnGCA Geocoin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
timewellspent
Geocacher


Joined: 19 Mar 2008

Posts: 708

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
timewellspent wrote:
I really don't care when and where they are presented, just would like to know where to purchase them going forward.


An online form is being developed. Coins will also be available at MnGCA events.


Thanks and congrats on your new position with the board.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4061

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
bflentje wrote:
please keep me out of your rant. I was at the event and found the coins with little issue.


Noted and congrats on attending the event and finding the coins. I was on call 24-7 and couldn't make it.


Thanks. I too was on call but luckily the phone didn't ring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5709

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the person that possibly started this discussion about being in the dark, I'd like to offer my $0.02.

My issue wasn't so much that the coin was unveiled at the fall event (heck, you have to unveil it somewhere!), but more that I either missed discussion threads about the development and eventual unveiling of the coin or they don't exist.

If the organization is member-centric then it seems that the members should be a little more in the know. From reading comments in this thread it seems like I wasn't the only one who felt they were in the dark on the production of the coin. I know from reading the board meeting minutes that the coins were a topic of discussion, but honestly I felt that there should have been more discussion/notification to the membership. Previous coins (it seems) have been promoted more before their actual release - in part to build interest and anticipation for the release of the coins.

Please don't take this the wrong way (as some of you already have) - I'm not complaining, only offering my $0.02 on what happened. Yes, I could have joined the coin committee or sat on the board to know more about what was happening, and could have paid better attention to the board meeting minutes (which I read but don't retain so well), but the point is just that a little more discussion on the forums would have been helpful to the membership.

Thank you, that is all.
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board


Joined: 22 Jun 2011

Posts: 253

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said and I completely agree with Pear Head.

I, for one, am glad they are here. I suggest that we move past this and get the coins into the hands of our members, which is where they belong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President


Joined: 04 Apr 2004

Posts: 5709

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that I'm very grateful to the committee as well as the board (in particular the treasurer who typically deals with the sales of the coins). Designing, minting, and selling the coins is a lot of work, and this year's product appears to be once again a stellar work.

I can't wait to be able to order one once the online form is up. Wink
_________________
Hmm...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Aug 2011

Posts: 163

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well said Pear Head. I had been contemplating how to post something similar without it being twisted or misunderstood and attacked.

I respect the board members and I very much appreciate all of the volunteer hours put in by everyone. It really amazes me how much time people donate and I would in no way criticize anyone for not doing "enough" when they are doing this all for free to begin with.

That said, I assume the interest of making a coin and selling it is to make money for the MnGCA, which is a good thing. So, just as a suggestion for future committees or whatever, in the interest of that end goal, a little announcement on the lines of "The coins are coming! Look for them hopefully at the Fall Event or at another event soon!" would have been a great heads up to be on the lookout for them. Another good place might have been an announcement on the Fall Event itself once it was known that they'd be there.

Like I said, I only spotted the coins by luck. Were they clearly visible on the merchandise table? Yes - IF you were at or near the merchandise table. We'd already purchased our shirts, so I wasn't planning on visiting that table had it not been for socializing nearby and then happening to spot the coin. So, I can see how some people were at the event all day and didn't spot it.

Again, this is not a criticism. I don't think this is anything to be upset about in terms of "being in the dark", cuz it really isn't that big of a deal honestly. But, just a suggestion that IF the goal is to sell more coins, a little more advertising / heads up might help that end goal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Aug 2011

Posts: 163

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I should add that I'm very grateful to the committee as well as the board (in particular the treasurer who typically deals with the sales of the coins). Designing, minting, and selling the coins is a lot of work, and this year's product appears to be once again a stellar work.

I can't wait to be able to order one once the online form is up. Wink


+1

I may order a couple more online as well. They really are stunning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MNMizzou
Geocacher


Joined: 23 Feb 2005

Posts: 713

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was made pretty clear that the vendor had serious medical issues that made a coin timeline completely unknown, and as it was noted early on the decision was made not to publicize something where a release date was unknown and really out of everyone's hands. If you think people are bitchy about being "surprised" you should really see how whiny and bitchy they are if you say coins will be here on x date and then they aren't. I totally understand the decision to keep it low profile. I think even the people who had knowledge of the situation were surprised the coins were delivered, which is thanks in no small part to the vendor's family stepping up and filling in while he was still hospitalized.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Aug 2011

Posts: 163

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
I think it was made pretty clear that the vendor had serious medical issues that made a coin timeline completely unknown, and as it was noted early on the decision was made not to publicize something where a release date was unknown and really out of everyone's hands. If you think people are bitchy about being "surprised" you should really see how whiny and bitchy they are if you say coins will be here on x date and then they aren't. I totally understand the decision to keep it low profile. I think even the people who had knowledge of the situation were surprised the coins were delivered, which is thanks in no small part to the vendor's family stepping up and filling in while he was still hospitalized.


I can understand your point and I think it is really sad if people get bitchy if coins are late at all (things happen!), but especially if it was explained that there was a serious medical issue going on.

In my naive mind, I would have been so excited about the design of these coins that I would have shown it off as soon as the order was placed and just explained that there is a serious medical issue going on and we have no idea when we'll get them - HOPEFULLY by the Fall Event, but not likely. So just be on the lookout for them at MnGCA events in the future. And then of course a follow up post when they finally arrived. I feel like that would have gotten the anticipation of these ramped up which would probably lead to more sales at the event rather than flying so low under the radar.

But, like I said, this really is not that big of a deal. Anyone who really wants a coin IS going to be able to get a coin! I just think an opportunity for an initial frenzy was potentially lost (if that happens with these).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Aug 2011

Posts: 163

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
vendor's family stepping up and filling in while he was still hospitalized.


By the way, I was shocked to learn that these beautiful, professional coins are done by one guy/family! How is that even possible? Does anyone know much about his process? How does he make them? Does he make them in his home by hand or does he have a small warehouse or something? Or is there an actual factory but the one guy/family is just in charge of submitting the order to it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rosebud55112
Geocacher


Joined: 03 May 2008

Posts: 137

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm sorry I brought the subject up. I didn't mean to open up such a can of worms.

Being interested in geocoins, I had heard that there was a medical issue with the manufacturer
(http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=316264) and that we weren't sure whether the coins would be available for the Fall Event. It made sense to me not to advertise them before that, since people would certainly be more disappointed in thinking they were going to be able to get them and not, than in the pleasant realization that something they weren't expecting was available. My understanding is that it was just about a literal "we received these as we we on the way out the door" type of delivery.

The coins certainly were not hidden at the Fall Event, from my point of view. The sales table was right next to the check-in table, and the coins, along with the shirts, were on full display. I spotted hem and madde my purchase before signing the log book. If you didn't see them, I'm sorry, but my snark says "Look around you. It's what cachers [supposedly] do."

I do think that for future years, an electronic order form should probably be prepared in advance of the actual sale date, with things like price, pictures, descriptions being dropped in when the coins are ready and the Board gives the Go-Ahead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Aug 2011

Posts: 163

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosebud55112 wrote:
(http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=316264)


Thanks for sharing. That is scary!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NOSNOW
Geocacher


Joined: 01 Jul 2009

Posts: 226

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:
vendor's family stepping up and filling in while he was still hospitalized.


By the way, I was shocked to learn that these beautiful, professional coins are done by one guy/family! How is that even possible? Does anyone know much about his process? How does he make them? Does he make them in his home by hand or does he have a small warehouse or something? Or is there an actual factory but the one guy/family is just in charge of submitting the order to it?


He is the middle man, between the mint in China, Ground Speak and the end customer. Just as all the other, Oakcoins, Direct Mint, GeoProxy, LandShark, with the exception of some made by GeoProxy, which are made in the US but are not colored, can be more expensive and can be made out of different material other than metal. As the middle man, they get the approval from Ground Speak, the tracking number and take care of all the customs stuff, and the communication with the mint in China, which is no small task. I know some that have tried to skip the middle man and have spent more money and time and frustration with less than satisfactory results.

Mike is doing a lot better, but has a long road ahead. AT GCF we talked with his father and brother, and have been keeping up on the caring bridge website and emails. He has lost over 40 pounds and if you know he did not need to lose any.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher


Joined: 10 Aug 2011

Posts: 163

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOSNOW wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
MNMizzou wrote:
vendor's family stepping up and filling in while he was still hospitalized.


By the way, I was shocked to learn that these beautiful, professional coins are done by one guy/family! How is that even possible? Does anyone know much about his process? How does he make them? Does he make them in his home by hand or does he have a small warehouse or something? Or is there an actual factory but the one guy/family is just in charge of submitting the order to it?


He is the middle man, between the mint in China, Ground Speak and the end customer. Just as all the other, Oakcoins, Direct Mint, GeoProxy, LandShark, with the exception of some made by GeoProxy, which are made in the US but are not colored, can be more expensive and can be made out of different material other than metal. As the middle man, they get the approval from Ground Speak, the tracking number and take care of all the customs stuff, and the communication with the mint in China, which is no small task. I know some that have tried to skip the middle man and have spent more money and time and frustration with less than satisfactory results.

Mike is doing a lot better, but has a long road ahead. AT GCF we talked with his father and brother, and have been keeping up on the caring bridge website and emails. He has lost over 40 pounds and if you know he did not need to lose any.


Wow - thanks so much for the info on how it works (very interesting!) and also the update on his condition.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bflentje
Geocacher


Joined: 29 May 2006

Posts: 4061

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOSNOW wrote:

He is the middle man, between the mint in China,


I believe PathTags are also manufactured in China.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Travel Bugs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Geocaching Cache Icons, Copyright 2009, Groundspeak Inc. All rights reserved. Used with Permission.