MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many caches fit in a specific GPS unit?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriggerMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: How many caches fit in a specific GPS unit? Reply with quote

Is there someplace where I can see how many caches a GPS can hold? We have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx that is about two years old, and also have an older Garmin Etrex Vista Cx that is about seven years old.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) How are you loading them (gpx, loc, individually, pocket query, etc/)?

2) How much available memory (i.e. not used up by favorites & maps) does the device have?

My one year old Garmin with 4 GB currently has about 5,000 caches and other POI's loaded.

Austin
TriggerMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We load them through pocket queries via GSAK and occasionally individually by hand. Everything cache we find is deleted out. We don't use the gps for anything but caching. The gps has the default settings still in place for everything but caching.

I found some info thru Garmin's website last night that the older one can hold 500 and the newer one can hold 1,000, but I'm not sure if that means the unit is completely cleared out of all other apps. Also, can you buy a memory card and swap it out if you've saved a different set of caches to a specific memory card?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Garmins, the older ones anyway, don't store waypoints on the memory card. They will store POIs there but I've never been fond of using POIs to cache with...
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab a new Oregon 6xx series, they will only hold 4 million caches, so choose wisely!
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not correct, unless I'm missing something. It can hold a ton as POI's, but I think the limit is 4000 caches.

I don't find storing some caches as POI's to be too limiting.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Garmin's website:

Load All the Geocaches

No more picking, choosing and planning, just download them all. The Oregon 600t can hold up to 4 million caches. Download every cache on OpenCaching.com. Load caches using your favorite program or website that supports GGZ files. All your paperless geocaching features will be there for every cache. Read full descriptions, hints and logs. View cache photos. Filter caches by size, terrain, difficulty and type. Connect to chirp-enabled caches. Record your logs in the field. The Oregon 600t has no limit.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/oregon-sup-sup-600t/prod113538.html
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a cool feature of GSAK. Choose your GPSr type and choose a lot of caches to send to it. Let's say 5,000 caches. If you configured GSAK correctly, it will stop and tell you that that model only supports X number of caches. If it accepts 5,000 caches, then that model supports at least that many.

My Montana 650T can hold 12,000 caches.
seamusbleu
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This got me curious and now that I'm on my computer it was easier to search out the answer. This [url=https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={0b02f820-03db-11e0-e050-000000000000}]Garmin support page[/url] lists the limitations of all of their units. For the Montana, for example, it says:
2,000 GPX files
4,000 waypoints
12,000 geocaches
200 routes, 250 points per route
200 saved tracks
2,000 archive tracks*
10,000 points per track
500 custom map tiles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: