MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it friend networks, campaigning, or interest?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing Fishy other than people voting. Some months are more active then others...some months have a rush at the start...others at the end...some just trickle along all month...
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
I think something is going on this month. After only a couple days one has 17 votes. Question Confused Sad

After only a couple days one has 17 votes.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I voted for 30 Feet Which Way already because I was surprised it hadn't won already. I still remember finding it back in 2008 or 2009 before favorite points were even invented. Maybe I shoulda waited to see if I found time to look for rusty's impossible 5 star cache and the other nominee and compare them, but I didn't because I got excited to vote for a cache I loved.

Much like the Gauntlets which are world class awesome but found by few, the Romulans might end up needing to get nominated a couple of time before winning. Just being nominated will get people out visiting your cache!
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
Yes, there has to be something underhanded going on. After all, the caches are all the same age, and the same number of cachers have found all three of them.

I saw what you did there . . . . . . .
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Just being nominated will get people out visiting your cache!

Maybe.. maybe not. In my opinion.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
I think something is going on this month. After only a couple days one has 17 votes. Question Confused Sad

After only a couple days one has 17 votes.

Not picking on you rusty...so please bear with me...

There are months when some votes build quickly...there are some months when votes build slowly...and there are other months were one cache takes off and the others play "catch-up". As Red_Devil35 eluded too...the caches have a very different number of finders...different hide dates (some out for years...others not so much) and different finders in general...

Nothing is happening here that I have not seen before in my time as COTM Moderator...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe and would never suggest there's cheating, in a technical sense, here on the board. I think Rusty needs to do what others have done and go out and campaign. Go through your entire address book and email all your friends asking them to login to MNGCA and vote for your cache.. which in my opinion, is a low point of the COTM program.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I don't believe and would never suggest there's cheating, in a technical sense, here on the board. I think Rusty needs to do what others have done and go out and campaign. Go through your entire address book and email all your friends asking them to login to MNGCA and vote for your cache.. which in my opinion, is a low point of the COTM program.
I only see one person campaigning -- on his own cache page and in these forums. Rolling Eyes
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd know better than I would Bart as I have not had the honor of having a hide nominated, and I believe you have. But I definitely use the nominations to put things on my watchlist / to-do list. I might not get to them promptly but they do serve to alert me to great caches which to me is the main purpose of COTM.
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
Three puzzles and a regular....regular gets my vote every time! Wink

+1 = 2 votes Smile
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
bflentje wrote:
I only see one person campaigning -- on his own cache page and in these forums. Rolling Eyes

I hadn't even looked at the cache listing until now.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
But I definitely use the nominations to put things on my watchlist / to-do list. I might not get to them promptly but they do serve to alert me to great caches which to me is the main purpose of COTM.

I need to start doing this. I have to admit I don't think I've ever voted here, because we've never done all of the caches in the list and I don't feel like I can vote for one without knowing them all. I always notice them and think "we should do that cache!" but then never remember it later. I need to start bookmarking them and making more of a point to do that...

I agree that I think that is the main purpose of this whole thing.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
dornole wrote:
But I definitely use the nominations to put things on my watchlist / to-do list. I might not get to them promptly but they do serve to alert me to great caches which to me is the main purpose of COTM.

I need to start doing this. I have to admit I don't think I've ever voted here, because we've never done all of the caches in the list and I don't feel like I can vote for one without knowing them all. I always notice them and think "we should do that cache!" but then never remember it later. I need to start bookmarking them and making more of a point to do that...

Too many people doing power trails to bother with a cache that has 9 stars or twelve stages. Sure is a different sport/game/activity since I've started.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
bflentje wrote:

I would not and have not campaigned for my cache. I never asked anyone to vote for it, which is obvious since it has two votes. If attacking me makes you feel better so be it.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
I would not and have not campaigned for my cache. I never asked anyone to vote for it..

- +1
- Thumbs up

I don't know that anyone else has been campaigning in this lot of nominees but I've seen campaigning in past COTM's. I think campaiging cheapens the game big time. But to each their own.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: