MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Counties
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Counties Reply with quote

We are SO close to getting a cache in every county of MN and a "bucket list" item of mine would be to find a cache in every county in the US. I believe there are only 30 or 40 documented people that have ever visited every county in the US, and I'm not sure how they document such a thing. For me, I'm currently relying on cache finds and GSAK tracking them and we go after them wherever we are.

I'm fearful that Geocaching will be a thing of the past (or very different) in 20+ years when we would be able to start tackling this goal seriously, but I'm just curious now. IS there even a cache in every county of the US? Do you know of any geocacher that is working on (or maybe already completed) that mission?
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - wikipedia says American Samoa is broken into 16 counties and there is only 7 caches in American Samoa on geocaching.com.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Counties Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
I'm fearful that Geocaching will be a thing of the past (or very different) in 20+ years when we would be able to start tackling this goal seriously, but I'm just curious now.

It will only get easier. "P&G" was pretty much a non-existent term 10 years ago. Same with "skirt lifter"...

Quote:
IS there even a cache in every county of the US?

I'm guessing you'll find a challenge in each state that will answer that question for each state.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
Well - wikipedia says American Samoa is broken into 16 counties and there is only 7 caches in American Samoa on geocaching.com.

Except AS isn't in the US - it's a territory...
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Counties Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
It will only get easier. "P&G" was pretty much a non-existent term 10 years ago. Same with "skirt lifter"...

True, but my worry is that people will lose interest, the hobby dies, and all that is left is unmaintained litter. Or, that people practice the hobby in foolish ways that eventually get it banned in some way (bomb scares, etc.)

OR, that it will morph into something that uses a different technology similar to Munzees and some of the other GPS type games out there. I don't want to get my collection of "geocaches" and then switch to something else, kind of like switching from VCR tape, to DVR, to Blu-Ray, etc.

Pear Head wrote:
I'm guessing you'll find a challenge in each state that will answer that question for each state.

So far in my search, it seems like most of them have it and I've scanned the map and not found any major holes. Except for in Arizona, but even that state has the challenge, so it must be possible. Was just wondering if anyone knew for certain...

Pear Head wrote:
Except AS isn't in the US - it's a territory...

Yep, I'm only looking to complete the 50 states.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well strictly speaking - territories are part of the US. Then again, so are embassies.

Do you recognize Kalawao County in Hawaii? I think GC1CTCM is on the other side of the line.
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in the Groundspeak forums are the answers you seek. I know there have been several threads regarding this topic with answers from cachers across the country.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with Texas and Alaska. Shocked

Edit-- actually, it looks like Appalachia states are the far toughest to complete.

Last edited by bflentje on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I've found caches in 536 of the 3142 counties that GSAK is aware of. I've been around but haven't even scratched the surface.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Good luck with Texas and Alaska. Shocked

Edit-- actually, it looks like Appalachia states are the far toughest to complete.

I don't think Alaska will be a challenge for us. That is one of our favorite places to vacation and we've already been there 3 times (but only once since we've been caching). In that last trip as cachers, we covered a quarter of the 25 boroughs.

Not looking forward to Texas...

And I agree that the Appalachia states will be the toughest. There are a million counties there... But then again, not too far to travel between each...

bflentje wrote:
Looks like I've found caches in 536 of the 3142 counties that GSAK is aware of. I've been around but haven't even scratched the surface.

194 here, which isn't TOO bad for 28 months, each of us with a full time(+) job, 2 houses to maintain (old house we remodeled and is now on the market + new house living in) and a 3-5 year old child! I know we've actually visited at least double that before we had a child, but just never kept track of it before we started this hobby.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
Do you recognize Kalawao County in Hawaii? I think GC1CTCM is on the other side of the line.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we'd recognize that as a county (assuming it is one of the 3142 GSAK recognizes). Hmmm... Looks like there are no caches there...
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
Somewhere in the Groundspeak forums are the answers you seek. I know there have been several threads regarding this topic with answers from cachers across the country.

I didn't think to look there (I never remember that forum exists)... There is a thread here:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=307135&st=0&p=5202894&hl=counties%203142&fromsearch=1&#entry5202894
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 3142 number makes me think GSAK doesn't recognize Kalawao.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
That 3142 number makes me think GSAK doesn't recognize Kalawao.

I'm guessing since they don't have a formal county government that is recognized by the State of Hawaii that GSAK doesn't recognize them either.

https://portal.ehawaii.gov/government/county-governments/
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Wikipedia, there are five counties in Hawai'i: Hawaii, Honolulu, Kalawao, Kauai, and Maui. I downloaded all the caches on the island of Moloka'i into my GSAK database. After updating the counties column, I ran a Check County macro. According to GSAK Kalawao is a county in Hawai'i. It does not currently have a cache within its borders. I thought there used to be a puzzle with the posted inside as a qualifier. So, I am not sure where the discretion is with the 3142 vs. 3143.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: