MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody else thinking they will have some time off next week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
umm....where do you work?

pfalstad wrote:
I have the same question.. Smile

Don't bother...

AustinMN wrote:
we can't take the time to train new employees.
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
KRedEP wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
Meanwhile, the company I work for is making money like crazy. We've been so busy we can't take the time to train new employees. With it, the raises, awards, and bonuses have been flowing like water.

I read last week that there are more people employed in Minnesota than at any time in the previous 5 years. There is plenty of money to be made, but you have to be in the right place at the right time. I got lucky.

Austin

I have the same question.. Smile

The state's median income fell by 18 percent. The steepest decline in the nation.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2013/09/01/report-finds-steep-drop-in-mn-median-income

I have the same question Smile
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
Meanwhile, the company I work for is making money like crazy. We've been so busy we can't take the time to train new employees. With it, the raises, awards, and bonuses have been flowing like water.

I read last week that there are more people employed in Minnesota than at any time in the previous 5 years. There is plenty of money to be made, but you have to be in the right place at the right time. I got lucky.

Austin

Company web site:
http://www.rustconsulting.com/

Locations in Minneapolis and Faribault, Minnesota, and Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

The link you want:
http://www.rustconsulting.com/Careers.aspx

One word of warning - we only hire the very best, and some departments (such as mine) only go through temp agencies. My entire department is made up of contractors with Robert Half, or employees who were Robert Half contractors and converted to employee. I don't know of any contractor who was offered to convert who turned the offer down.

Austin
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. A firm that appears to suck the blood of others.. I could see how the money would be flowing. Laughing
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Interesting. A firm that appears to suck the blood of others.. I could see how the money would be flowing. Laughing

They don't suck the blood of others, they just help manage the blood-sucking process, sometimes being hired by the suckee, according to the FAQ on their website. Smile
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on topic - is it safe to assume GPS service is considered essential and will operate into a shutdown?
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
More on topic - is it safe to assume GPS service is considered essential and will operate into a shutdown?

I couldn't any information on that, but it sounds like our military is totally dependent on it, so I'd assume it's essential. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/01/air-force-gps-problem-gli_n_595727.html
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they could turn off the L1C/L2C code modulations in the L1/L2 signals and leave on the M code modulation. That would turn off civilian GPS and leave on military GPS. It doesn't seem like it would make a lot of sense to do so but not sure how much that matters.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know that a federal government shutdown isn't a total shutdown. Anyone want to guess which facets of government will actually be shutdown?
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
We all know that a federal government shutdown isn't a total shutdown. Anyone want to guess which facets of government will actually be shutdown?

Just the facets that won't inconvenience members of Congress. You know that the air traffic controllers will still be working so that our congressmen and women can fly home to see their families. It's nice that members of congress will still get paid even though there will be a million workers unemployed because their representatives aren't able to do their jobs. I'm sure the economy will take a nice hit with that many people not getting paid.

I read an estimate today that the federal shutdown in 1995 cost the government $1.4 billion. Ouch!
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Just to clarify, we suck the blood of thieving companies in the process of helping them get out of trouble.

Austin
Copaman
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember I was in the military during the last shutdown. While we were guaranteed to get paid, the people who cut the paychecks were furloughed, meaning I had to get loaned money until after the Federal workers could come back to work and pay me my back pay.

And as members of the military exempt from the furlough, some of my highlights of my work during the last shutdown:

1. I got to be in charge of a meeting about the F-22 antenna, even though I knew NOTHING about the F-22 antenna. The meeting was scheduled, contractors were on site, and it was too late to cancel, so we held the meeting, with me being appointed to lead the program I knew nothing about.

2. I got to spend an additional shift providing law enforcement. Since the base security guards were all furloughed, we all got handed flashlights and cell phones and told to patrol the base. This, in addition to our normal duty hours of our normal job.

3. Since there were about 1,200 employees furloughed and about 75 military people still working, we got all of the phones forwarded to our desks. So in between holding unplanned meetings about aircraft antennas and patrolling warehouses, we also got to answer a million phone calls.

At the end of working double shifts and additional duties for several weeks, the civilian employees were awarded their back pay for doing nothing during that time, while as a military employee, I wasn't compensated (like getting a 72-hour pass or something like that). Yeah, I know - being in the military means you are on-duty 24/7, but it would have been a nice gesture. I used to tell our commander that just because we are capable of working 24/7 doesn't mean we actually *can* work 24/7...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, at my job I am on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. On average, I get woken up once a week at 2am. I am a free will employee. I have no sympathy.
Copaman
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Sorry, at my job I am on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. On average, I get woken up once a week at 2am. I am a free will employee. I have no sympathy.

No problem, not looking for sympathy, just ranting about the absurdity of the shutdown.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copaman wrote:
bflentje wrote:

No problem, not looking for sympathy, just ranting about the absurdity of the shutdown.

Give Harry Reid a call. He might be able to help. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: