MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody else thinking they will have some time off next week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Sorry, at my job I am on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. On average, I get woken up once a week at 2am. I am a free will employee. I have no sympathy.

One of my job duties is to secure resources 24/7, which means I often awaken people (and their spouses) at all hours of night, weekends, holidays. If you ever feel your average is slipping, let me know, I'm often up at 2 a.m. I could call just to chat. I should always stay sharp on my skills.

Last edited by AerosmithPA on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night caching Very Happy
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c9c16f56-7aaa-459a-b3bc-a9fe2a1e470a
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c9c16f56-7aaa-459a-b3bc-a9fe2a1e470a

Am I missing something? Cache "support" is not typically a daily or even weekly thing, right? And I sure hope we are not in a govt shutdown for that long. Didn't it take more "support" time to go through and disable all of these caches than it would to just ignore them until the shutdown is done? Especially when this particular one seems to have been ignored for well over a year already anyway. I don't get this at all unless some kind of political statement is attempted to be made here, but even then I guess I don't see the point...
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
I don't get this at all unless some kind of political statement is attempted to be made here, but even then I guess I don't see the point...

I'm pretty sure that it was just some kind of political statement
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

Tough to support caches that aren't there Wink
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, while you boys were having your p'ing contest about whose job is harder, I didn't have time to comment but wanted to say: Try doing all of that stuff while being a new mom. I also work in IT and am no stranger to the middle-of-the-night phone call as well (had 3 this week as a matter of fact). My company also decided that it was a good time to start sending me on all kinds of business trips about 7 months into my new role as "career mom". To make that even better, I was still nursing at the time so had to lug my pump with me through the airport, find a place to do that at some point between my business meetings (or else explode during one of them), and then transport the "liquid gold" back through security on my way back home. Yeah. That was fun. (To be fair, they weren't trying to be heartless - just REALLY bad timing for me of some super critical things going on...)

But, after having made it through some pretty hard times with my company, those of us that made it through are treated pretty well now, I have to say. So I also consider myself to be a pretty lucky one right now. I hope this stupid shutdown doesn't impact that. My company does a lot better if the economy is stable.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
Also, while you boys were having your p'ing contest about whose job is harder, I didn't have time to comment but wanted to say: Try doing all of that stuff while being a new mom. I also work in IT and am no stranger to the middle-of-the-night phone call as well (had 3 this week as a matter of fact). My company also decided that it was a good time to start sending me on all kinds of business trips about 7 months into my new role as "career mom". To make that even better, I was still nursing at the time so had to lug my pump with me through the airport, find a place to do that at some point between my business meetings (or else explode during one of them), and then transport the "liquid gold" back through security on my way back home. Yeah. That was fun. (To be fair, they weren't trying to be heartless - just REALLY bad timing for me of some super critical things going on...)

But, after having made it through some pretty hard times with my company, those of us that made it through are treated pretty well now, I have to say. So I also consider myself to be a pretty lucky one right now. I hope this stupid shutdown doesn't impact that. My company does a lot better if the economy is stable.

I wouldn't say we were p*ssing and definitely never said that my job was hard. And for the record, I am a parent three times over and both wifey and me work. Cool
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
And for the record, I am a parent three times over and both wifey and me work. Cool

I will give you that being a "career dad" can be just as hard as being a "career mom" in some ways, especially after that first year they are probably about the same, but you didn't go through 9 months of pregnancy, morning sickness, etc. (while getting those 2am phone calls), you didn't go through labor and all the fun postpartum stuff we women go through after the delivery. And you didn't have to manage giant blobs on your chest that could ruin your shirt that day if you heard anything that sounded like a baby crying or didn't take a break from work to go feed your baby quickly enough. Granted, I didn't have to take on that last one either. I could have chosen the alternative, but it worked out for me so I did it. It just presented a problem when the business trips started coming and that isn't exactly something you can stop doing overnight real easy...
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this is the Wednesday mentioned in the Opening Post.

Anybody out there?
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

Anybody out there?

Can't cache tonight. Tired and big day tomorrow.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

Anybody out there?

No, too busy working trying to pay the bills.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

Anybody out there?

I went caching by myself since everyone else is so busy being on call 24/7.
Copaman
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my furlough notice, so I'm free to join you! Let me know if you want to go caching!
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copaman wrote:
I just got my furlough notice, so I'm free to join you! Let me know if you want to go caching!

Setting all the political/financial issues aside, I am actually a little jealous. This is my favorite time to cache, and the busiest time of year for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: