MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did anyone lose a GPSr on a North Shore trail recently?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Did anyone lose a GPSr on a North Shore trail recently? Reply with quote

Hikers found a GPSr on a trail (not sure if it was Superior Hiking Trail or a spur trail) south of Beaver Bay. It was found approximately Monday 8/19. If it is yours or you know whose it may be, please send me a message.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Did anyone lose a GPSr on a North Shore trail recently? Reply with quote

Tropicalloon wrote:
Hikers found a GPSr on a trail (not sure if it was Superior Hiking Trail or a spur trail) south of Beaver Bay. It was found approximately Monday 8/19. If it is yours or you know whose it may be, please send me a message.

This should be a reminder to people to put their contact info on the 1st screen of their GPSr!
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Did anyone lose a GPSr on a North Shore trail recently? Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
Tropicalloon wrote:

This should be a reminder to people to put their contact info on the 1st screen of their GPSr!

So true! It was turned into the place where my daughter works. She's a cacher, so she had turned it on to look - nothing on 1st page. Hoping I could look at it to see if it contains found/logged caches & maybe determine owner from those - it's locked in the safe, so unable to try to check further.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a waypoint of "home", or evidences of footprints on the map. That would just be evidence, but may narrow down the search also.
AustinMN
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Did anyone lose a GPSr on a North Shore trail recently? Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:

Around here, a GPSr is more likely to be stolen than lost. Contact info would lead directly to an empty house. Choose your poison carefully.

Austin
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Did anyone lose a GPSr on a North Shore trail recently? Reply with quote

AustinMN wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:

Around here, a GPSr is more likely to be stolen than lost. Contact info would lead directly to an empty house. Choose your poison carefully.

Austin

Really? An email address would lead someone to my house? Interesting.
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Did anyone lose a GPSr on a North Shore trail recently? Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:

Austin

I have my caching name & cell phone # on the 1st screen.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Did anyone lose a GPSr on a North Shore trail recently? Reply with quote

Tropicalloon wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:

Austin

How to you do that?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my name, address and phone number in the boot screen of my 60csx. I can't find on the new 62s to do the same. I think I need to look harder.
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Did anyone lose a GPSr on a North Shore trail recently? Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Tropicalloon wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:

Austin

How to you do that?

I have a DeLorme. Under the Device Setup menu item is an "Owner Information" screen. I did it for Harkins I own too, but don't remember how.
Tropicalloon
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Harkins, Garmins. I hate posting from phones! Dang autocorrect!
Copaman
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
I had my name, address and phone number in the boot screen of my 60csx. I can't find on the new 62s to do the same. I think I need to look harder.

On my Garmin 62s, there's a file on the GPSr under the main menu when you plug it in (the same place you'll find "geocache_visits.txt") called "startup.txt". Just modify that file (it will give you instructions how) and you'll be all set.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copaman wrote:
bflentje wrote:

On my Garmin 62s, there's a file on the GPSr under the main menu when you plug it in (the same place you'll find "geocache_visits.txt") called "startup.txt". Just modify that file (it will give you instructions how) and you'll be all set.

Hey sweet, thanks. Just got the thing so have not explored it too much yet on the file side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: