MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Permission to hide a cache?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobcats09
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Permission to hide a cache? Reply with quote

I'm getting ready for my first hide. I have a couple of really good ideas, but because they are historical sites I would need to ask permission. How is the best way to ask permission to hide a cache?

Is this usually done by email, over the phone, or in person. I think I would feel most comfortable either in an email where I can give them links to geocaching. Or in person where I can show them the cache I would like to hide and they can even see and approve the location.

What points should I stress when trying to convince them to allow me to hide a cache. I think I need to stress the CITO idea and that cachers are respectful to the areas and buildings. Maybe even stressing that placing a cache might bring additional tourists to the area that might not normally come. Any additional thoughts or advice?
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to check is the thread / listings on this site that have geocaching policies from many property owners (parks, etc) across the state. if they're listed there should be info on how to get permission.

Even if the landowner for yours is not listed, read some of them. You will get a feel for what landowners' concerns are that will be helpful.

Personally, I might recommend doing your first hide somewhere where caching is already permitted. Get a whole bunch of hides under your belt, including others that have historical themes. Some multis or puzzles actually make finding the cache a historical experience as you collect info. You might want to contact those cache owners directly for advice.

good luck!
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option also might be to do a multi where cachers collect info from the historic site that gives them coordinates to find the cache in a nearby park where caching is already permitted. Lots of examples of this and you could then get going on your idea right away. Enjoy!!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it sounds like a pain in the rump, always try to attain permission in person. If nothing else, they can meet you rather than think you're some anonymous odd stranger from the internets.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
While it sounds like a pain in the rump, always try to attain permission in person. If nothing else, they can meet you rather than think you're some anonymous odd stranger from the internets.

It's also harder for a lot of people to tell you 'no' to your face, whereas it's pretty easy to say 'no' through the internets.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
bflentje wrote:

It's also harder for a lot of people to tell you 'no' to your face, whereas it's pretty easy to say 'no' through the internets.

Unless you ask for permission to hide a Halloween themed cache that looks like a full-sized guillotine. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: