MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTF--more later
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
All of what you say is true, for you. But it is not up to you to define what is etiquette for the collective. Reserving or assigning FTF is the childish side of the game I think is laughable. And don't misunderstand me, I am hardly an FTF hound.

I never said it was. We were asked for our opinions and I gave mine:

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
15Tango wrote:
On the subject of FTF - how does everyone feel about tribute caches (i.e. CacherX finds 1000 caches)?

Unless the cache page specifically says NOT to worry about saving the FTF for the tribute cache (which I've seen once), I think it is bad etiquette to get the FTF before the honoree has found it.

That said, sometimes it is just about common courtesy and kindness to our fellow human beings, regardless of what you think is a silly part of the game. When we were newly getting into caching and more excited about FTF opportunities, we saw one published that we missed out on and then later saw the person that got the FTF post an apology for "jumping the trigger", having not realizing what kind of cache it was. That really confused me at first (You mean it isn't appropriate to go after certain FTF's?? Why???), but after some looking, I figured out that it was a tribute cache and I realized that those must be "sacred" to some, and since then I've noticed a lot of tributes have the text in them asking to please save it for the honoree. To me, it doesn't matter whether I think that is silly or "laughable", and it may NOT be considered bad etiquette by the entire collective, BUT, there is enough proof that it is obviously important to at least some people (more than a few), and out of respect and kindness to those people, how hard is it to just be nice and play along?
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider myself a FTF hound. I rarely, if ever drop everything to go after the FTF. That being said, I am also a "cold cacher". I rarely if ever read the cache page. I run a query, load the results, and go caching.
No way am I going to know if I am supposed to wait for someone to find their tribute cache

I have never been FTF on a tribute cache, but I have been FTF on a few caches this way. It the sticks where I live, it could happen, I was just FTF on a cache published 12 days earlier.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanLisaKayla wrote:
and out of respect and kindness to those people, how hard is it to just be nice and play along?

Sorry, to me this is very disturbing. But that's MY opinion. Don't tell us to play along just so some of you can feel good. "Playing along" got 6 million Jews and about 30 million Russians killed back in the early 1900's.
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of disturbing, going from FTF to Hitler? That's a bit of a stretch.

To get back on topic, we all have our own ways of playing this little game we call Geocaching. Who are we to say that the other person is wrong? The only real rules of this game are:

1. Seek cache
2. Find cache
3. Sign the log

The rest is up to us, really. That's why Groundspeak calls them guidelines.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigChiefS4 wrote:

Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigChiefS4 wrote:

1. Seek cache
2. Find cache
3. Sign the log

This.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigChiefS4 wrote:

+1

BigChiefS4 wrote:
To get back on topic, we all have our own ways of playing this little game we call Geocaching. Who are we to say that the other person is wrong? The only real rules of this game are:

1. Seek cache
2. Find cache
3. Sign the log

The rest is up to us, really. That's why Groundspeak calls them guidelines.

I tend to agree with the overall point you are making (that we all have our own ways of playing), but there are more "guidelines" than that I think - being good stewards of the environment, for example.

And, continuing with the "disturbing" theme, I think part of the problem with our society is that too many people rely too much on ONLY the "rules" when deciding whether they should or shouldn't do something, rather than thinking also about if it is a good/nice/kind/polite thing to do or not do. For my taste, I find too many people have this sense of "entitlement" and excuse their actions by saying "There is no rule that says I can't do this so I'm going to do it - I don't care what YOU think."

And I get what Bart is trying to say, that we shouldn't all just be mindless sheep and "play along" with every whim anybody ever has. And in some cases, doing what is good for one group may be hurting another group. One example I love that demonstrates this is when driving and you see someone is trying to get on to a busy street, so you stop to let them in. But what if there is a whole line of cars that want to get in and you aren't in any hurry, so you stop and let them all in. You are being really nice, right? But what about the cars behind you that you are making wait? You aren't being so nice to them. So, you DO have to consider your actions carefully and not just be "nice" to one side without consideration for the other. But, in this case, I see no harm to the other side. There are plenty of other FTF opportunities (and caches in general) out there. And if you are a "cold cacher" like A-body, no, I wouldn't expect someone to drastically change their caching habits for this. It is going to happen occasionally, either from a newbie or someone that just isn't aware for whatever reason. But, if you ARE aware it is a tribute for someone else, and decide to go after it anyway before they've had a chance to find it, I just think that is in poor taste.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
I have a strong opinion about this subject. - More Later

Thanks for the laugh!! Razz
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threenow24 wrote:
I thought they were odd at first, like the finder must really be busy, but then it occurred to me they are actually a courtesy to other FTF chasers--"hey, I got this one so don't rush over thinking the FTF is still available".
I do think that with a lot of the new hides being put out a "FTF SL TFTC" without a "more later" is adequate, sadly.

There's the problem... FTF chasers. Sorry, but if you have to be FTF, them's the breaks. You win some, you lose some. If you don't want to drive an hour and a half only to find that somebody else already found the cache, then don't be an FTF hound. (using "you" in the generic sense, of course!)

The cache owner is the one that loses out here. Let's think of the person that took the time and energy and money to hide the cache in the first place. Doesn't he deserve more than the potential FTF hounds?
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
Not always, but often.

It is fun opening up the new cache, because it is kind of rewarding to open the container and see a dollar bill laying right on top. Oftentimes after that, the FTF will keep the dollar and leave a penny in it's place. Just as electric it is to see the dollar when you open up the cache, it is equally deflating to expect a FTF and see a penny glaring in your face upon opening. Deflating in a fun way, you know what I mean?

Wow! How do you fit a dollar bill into a Bison tube? (not to mention a blinkie) I think I need to cache in your area more.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: FTF--more later Reply with quote

Copaman wrote:

They suggest using the "Write note" to put the "FTF - More later" and then logging it as a find later.

Excellent point!
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
beagleboo wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:
If I get an First-to-Find, I wait until someone else logs it before I log it...and then I don't even mention I was first on it...that is about how much I value the "FTF" badge...

I've also not logged a FTF as a FTF but just a found it. Smile

Heck...I have even thumbed through the log book and placed my log on a random page just so no one mentions in their logs I was first...

Heck, I've even gone back later and signed the log only after somebody else claimed FTF. Laughing
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:
and out of respect and kindness to those people, how hard is it to just be nice and play along?

Sorry, to me this is very disturbing. But that's MY opinion. Don't tell us to play along just so some of you can feel good. "Playing along" got 6 million Jews and about 30 million Russians killed back in the early 1900's.

Is that an example of hyperbole, Bart?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
bflentje wrote:
RyanLisaKayla wrote:

Is that an example of hyperbole, Bart?

No, it's all fact of course.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a new hide published tonight. One person logged a FTF more later and then another person logged a FTF. After speaking to the second person and was told they found a blank log. The more later person never signed the log. Interesting, I have not deleted the log and am waiting for an explaination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: