MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTF--more later
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigChiefS4 wrote:
What I don't (really) understand is posting STF or TTF or 4TF (yes, I've seen it) with an added "more later".

I've posted a regular log with a "more later" comment on rare occassion, not because I was FTF, STF, or TTF, but when I had a story to tell which involved more typing than I cared to do at the time on my phone. It usually involves a "I'll tell the story when I get to a keyboard" comment.
jicknarson
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigChiefS4 wrote:
I understand posting "FTF. More later". I do it myself as a courtesy to the other FTF hounds out there. It's as simple as that.

Exactly my motivation.
I've read logs from disgruntled cachers who were expecting the FTF but found a signed log. It's very cumbersome to log in the field from my not-so-smart phone, but I attempt to go the "more later" route if I'm not going to be at my computer for some time. - if my phone will even let me do that. I try.
No nefarious game playing, just trying to make people happy...
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't knock a person for either posting a "FTF- more later" log or waiting several hours to log their find.

When going for a cache with no previous logs posted, there is somewhat of an electricity when opening the container- will there be an empty log (dollar) or a name to sign under (penny)? Either way it is fun, and I will generally go for a new cache nearby whether there is a FTF to be had or not.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AerosmithPA wrote:
When going for a cache with no previous logs posted, there is somewhat of an electricity when opening the container- will there be an empty log (dollar) or a name to sign under (penny)?

Do hiders always put a dollar in new caches up in your neck of the woods?
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not always, but often.

It is fun opening up the new cache, because it is kind of rewarding to open the container and see a dollar bill laying right on top. Oftentimes after that, the FTF will keep the dollar and leave a penny in it's place. Just as electric it is to see the dollar when you open up the cache, it is equally deflating to expect a FTF and see a penny glaring in your face upon opening. Deflating in a fun way, you know what I mean?
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely can be in a good way. A STF was one of my favorite finds ever. This was "back in the day" before smartphones and when the only way to get email notifications was to write your own code or something.

I happened to be on my computer late at night and checked the website and wow! A new cache only .2 miles from my house, on that marshbound deserted island across the ice! I determined to rise at dawn and go get it. As I crossed the ice in the dim dawnlight what do I see bobbing through the trees -- an orangey red stocking cap. Given the location I was sure it was a geocacher beating me to the find, or a deranged individual, or maybe both . . . Anyhow I finally got to meet the famous Rickrich who had already located but was not quite able to retrieve the cache which was way up a tree trunk. After a brief conversational dance we agreed we would graciously share the FTF. He hoisted me up, I grabbed it, we opened the thing up AND . . . there's Paklid's name! His log later described how he groped through the darkness to find it.

Now, a "more later" would have deprived me of all that fun.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely can be in a good way. A STF was one of my favorite finds ever. This was "back in the day" before smartphones and when the only way to get email notifications was to write your own code or something.

I happened to be on my computer late at night and checked the website and wow! A new cache only .2 miles from my house, on that marshbound deserted island across the ice! I determined to rise at dawn and go get it. As I crossed the ice in the dim dawnlight what do I see bobbing through the trees -- an orangey red stocking cap. Given the location I was sure it was a geocacher beating me to the find, or a deranged individual, or maybe both . . . Anyhow I finally got to meet the famous Rickrich who had already located but was not quite able to retrieve the cache which was way up a tree trunk. After a brief conversational dance we agreed we would graciously share the FTF. He hoisted me up, I grabbed it, we opened the thing up AND . . . there's Paklid's name! His log later described how he groped through the darkness to find it.

Now, a "more later" would have deprived me of all that fun.
Copaman
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: FTF--more later Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
I am seeing more and more of these since smartphones have become mainstream geocaching tools. I you MUST post a temp log (and there is really no reason for it that I can see) at least, when you post your final log, delete the brief one and post a new one so that the cache owner will see the email notification. We do not get notifications on edited logs.

Thanks.

I just read over at the Groundspeak forums that if you do this, you run the risk of having your earned favorite points falling off.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=293068

I kept trying to figure out why my favorite points didn't match up with what I should have earned, and now I know.

They suggest using the "Write note" to put the "FTF - More later" and then logging it as a find later.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: FTF--more later Reply with quote

Copaman wrote:
knowschad wrote:
I am seeing more and more of these since smartphones have become mainstream geocaching tools. I you MUST post a temp log (and there is really no reason for it that I can see) at least, when you post your final log, delete the brief one and post a new one so that the cache owner will see the email notification. We do not get notifications on edited logs.

Thanks.

I just read over at the Groundspeak forums that if you do this, you run the risk of having your earned favorite points falling off.

I kept trying to figure out why my favorite points didn't match up with what I should have earned, and now I know.

They suggest using the "Write note" to put the "FTF - More later" and then logging it as a find later.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing! I always wondered why my count never matched up either (and off by a lot). This is why. Not only the FTF thing, but also when I edit a log in general, I will sometimes just delete and repost (because the edited text annoys me, as I said before). Going to have to stop doing that, because I actually like to use my favorite points and I never seem to have enough!

Writing the note for the FTF situation is a good idea.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: FTF--more later Reply with quote

Copaman wrote:

As a programmer, I am shaking my head at this. How is this even possible? How hard is it to just say "favoritesLeft = findCount/10 - favoritesUsed;" ??

As a geocacher, big deal. I have 191 unused favorite points as it is. But good to keep in mind, if I were a more serious FTF hound.
RyanLisaKayla
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: FTF--more later Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

As a programmer, I am shaking my head at this. How is this even possible? How hard is it to just say "favoritesLeft = findCount/10 - favoritesUsed;" ??

+1
NOSNOW
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: FTF--more later Reply with quote

[quote="pfalstad]
[/quote]

Favorites are not award to finds that are found when you’re not a premium member. Your simple formula would not work if they had finds when they started as a basic and joined or if the premium laps for any period of time.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: FTF--more later Reply with quote

NOSNOW wrote:
Favorites are not award to finds that are found when you’re not a premium member. Your simple formula would not work if they had finds when they started as a basic and joined or if the premium laps for any period of time.

Oh right.. Well actually when you upgrade, you get favorite points for all the caches you found as a basic member, but only the FIRST time you upgrade. Which seems like an unnecessary complication, but fine. Still shaking my head that they don't handle log deletions..
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jicknarson wrote:
BigChiefS4 wrote:
I understand posting "FTF. More later". I do it myself as a courtesy to the other FTF hounds out there. It's as simple as that.

Exactly my motivation.
I've read logs from disgruntled cachers who were expecting the FTF but found a signed log. It's very cumbersome to log in the field from my not-so-smart phone, but I attempt to go the "more later" route if I'm not going to be at my computer for some time. - if my phone will even let me do that. I try.
No nefarious game playing, just trying to make people happy...

I contend that there are some cachers that post the "FTF More Later" as they are on their way to nab the FTF as a way to deter others from beating them. Controversial? Yes. Do I care? No. It doesn't happen all that often in my neck of the woods.
beagleboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once was a FTF hound & enjoyed meeting other cahers for the "FTF party" at GZ. Now, I enjoy seeing a newbie make the FTF as it usually "sets the addictive hook" for another cacher to share in our activity. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: