MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breakfast Buddies?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Breakfast Buddies? Reply with quote

What happened to Breakfast Buddies? I don't believe we've had one since June, and I don't see any upcoming Breakfast Buddies listed on the Minnesota geocaching page. It is one of the longest-running regular events in the history of geocaching, and I, for one, don't think it should just quietly fade into oblivion.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Breakfast Buddies will fade into oblivion. I have some thoughts about how to handle the MnGCA events in the upcoming year. I planned to post my thoughts in the near future, but since the question was asked, I will discuss now.

If the membership chooses to put me onto the board for another year, I would ask each board member to share in the burdon of hosting these events. By simply having each board member host one event per quarter, we could fill the calendar with an event nearly every other weekend throughout the year.

I would also like to see an added emphasis on CITO events. When possible, we could submit a photograph to a local newspaper, as well as to the MnGCA home page. Getting together with fellow geocachers at a Breakfast Buddies event is great, it allows us to share stories from the trail as well as giving new and experienced geocachers the chance to network. CITO events is our opportunity to do some visible work for the community and also foster positive public relations.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakfast Buddies? Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
What happened to Breakfast Buddies? I don't believe we've had one since June, and I don't see any upcoming Breakfast Buddies listed on the Minnesota geocaching page. It is one of the longest-running regular events in the history of geocaching, and I, for one, don't think it should just quietly fade into oblivion.

Question Any answer to this. Are we to assume no one on the board wants to take responsibility for hosting events. No local pizza event too?
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been thinking about this, trying to find a PC answer, but there really isn’t one. I'm tired of sugar-coating things, dancing around issues, and "playing nice" for the rest of the group. No, there is no one board member willing to accept the full responsibility for events. None of the board positions list this as a required duty – and those required responsibilities have been about the maximum I’ve been able to expect this year.

We were very spoiled for three years as EPMinnesota carried this huge responsibility all on her own – from finding locations, to setting up events and cache pages, to hosting the events herself. I tried it for six months. While I enjoyed meeting people around the state I’m a little tired of the attitude I get over these events – Why is the event at this place? Why is it on this date? Why not here? Why wasn’t it posted 3 months in advance?

Here is why there is no Breakfast Buddies this month – In this “volunteer” organization, the six people that volunteer for everything are tired. How many former board members do you see at events? Have you ever wondered why? The job of the board is to manage the organization, not organize the entertainment of the members. Step up and help this organization be dynamic and exciting. But, if you aren’t willing to participate, don’t expect the few that do to be able to cater to your every caching desire.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:
I’ve been thinking about this, trying to find a PC answer, but there really isn’t one. I'm tired of sugar-coating things, dancing around issues, and "playing nice" for the rest of the group. No, there is no one board member willing to accept the full responsibility for events. None of the board positions list this as a required duty – and those required responsibilities have been about the maximum I’ve been able to expect this year.

We were very spoiled for three years as EPMinnesota carried this huge responsibility all on her own – from finding locations, to setting up events and cache pages, to hosting the events herself. I tried it for six months. While I enjoyed meeting people around the state I’m a little tired of the attitude I get over these events – Why is the event at this place? Why is it on this date? Why not here? Why wasn’t it posted 3 months in advance?

Here is why there is no Breakfast Buddies this month – In this “volunteer” organization, the six people that volunteer for everything are tired. How many former board members do you see at events? Have you ever wondered why? The job of the board is to manage the organization, not organize the entertainment of the members. Step up and help this organization be dynamic and exciting. But, if you aren’t willing to participate, don’t expect the few that do to be able to cater to your every caching desire.

+1
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the linky from the topic years ago...

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3692

This is a big state...for five people to cover. EPMinnesota made the choice to do all that traveling and spend all that time on the road herself. I fully appreciate and respect what she did...but, in no way do I expect that from any current/future Board Member. The positions do not require that.

If it is an expectation...then positions need to be changed to reflect that...and reimbursement will most likely need to happen for those miles that will be traveled...as it is a cost I don't think the Board Members should take on out of their own pockets.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakfast Buddies? Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
15Tango wrote:

Question Any answer to this. Are we to assume no one on the board wants to take responsibility for hosting events. No local pizza event too?

I stated the following back in 2008...I stood by it then...and I will stand by it now...

"We (all members...not just the board) represent the MNGCA...it is not the other way around!!!" The Board Members manage the Organization...but we all are responsible for making things happen in the name of the Organization...
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs. Mizzou wrote:

100% understand. If it weren't for three kids, working hours opposite of wife, the fact that I volunteer 10 hours a week to church and school, I'd love to step up.

It's sad if there was an issue of incessant complaining. I hold one to two events a year so I know how much work it is. The biggest reason why the BWCAW trip isn't going to happen.. everyone wants to go but no one wants to put effort into it.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakfast Buddies? Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
Rustynails wrote:
15Tango wrote:

I stated the following back in 2008...I stood by it then...and I will stand by it now...

"We (all members...not just the board) represent the MNGCA...it is not the other way around!!!" The Board Members manage the Organization...but we all are responsible for making things happen in the name of the Organization...

Having said that, I want to personally and publicly thank the MNGCA for their swag donations to the 6th annual canoe event. It made a great day even better.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the board likely realizes my appreciation for what they do, past and present members. I've been there, done that, and still volunteer heavily for the organization. I know very well what is involved. I can't express my appreciation enough for what the board has done over the many years. I also can't express my appreciation enough for EPMinnesota in hosting the events to the degree that she did - you truly did spoil us Carol! Smile

I'd like the board to consider (or maybe you already did) having trusted MnGCA members host the BB events if necessary. I know this was brought up in the past, but it was during a time that the events were still running. Whether it's a past board member, another active member, etc.

It's hard to be PC when picking "trusted members" to host the events. To me the best way to do it would be to privately tap some members on the shoulder rather than solicit for a list. Some trusted members will be called, others won't be, and that's the way it is.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget: What is the salary paid to board members?

http://coord.info/GCTBWX
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing is no one really realizes that there is about 2% of this organization that that absolutely busts their butts to try to cater to the other 98% with all of these events, committees. and everything else that is done. I had a former board member tell me quite a while ago that the worst part of this organization was the fact that no matter what it is, a coin, events, elections, shirts, whatever, it is the same dozen or so people that step up every time, whether they have the time to do it or not. There are many people who are in a position to offer their time, ideas and talents to move this organization forward, but they don't. I'm fine with that, but you know what, don't say word 1 when you don't like how it is going. It's a lot like voting, if you don't participate in the process don't bitch if you don't like the outcome.

We were spoiled by the fact that Carol got a routine down of being able to post breakfast events 3 months out. But you know what, there is nothing that says that you can't look at a calendar and see that there isn't a breakfast event for X month yet and offer a solution. I know one board member pretty damn well, and I am fairly confident in saying that if you sent the board an email saying "Hey I noticed there isn't a breakfast event for October yet, I know this great place in I'm Getting Off My Ass and Helping, MN (population 2) what do I need to ask them or tell them to try to set something up there?" You would get a response with the answers you are looking for and a big thank you! Not everyone has access to the MnGCA account, but you can certainly get the coords and other info and email it to the board and you know what, I bet they would gladly publish the event if you wanted to do it as an "official" Breakfast Buddies or Pizza event... I'd bet they'd even credit you in the description at no additional charge.

I totally get the OP's original question, and quite frankly I think the world of them as a cacher and a person. And it is good to raise the question. What wasn't said, and I have no problem saying it is part of the reason the breakfast event wasn't put on the calendar is the board members who are stepping up had a lot on their plate. The MnGCA was recently asked to give a presentation to a national convention that was in Minneapolis. My wife spent at least 30-40 hours preparing for that presentation, on top of a very demanding schedule at her "regular" job as well as taking care of 2 children, one of which works opposite hours as she does which leaves her taking care of the real child by herself many nights. I'll pause for a minute for those who might not have gotten that joke...

It is high time more than 2% of this organization covers the workload it takes to move the MnGCA forward. If you aren't willing to contribute maybe you should just consider ending your membership.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Pear Head"I'd like the board to consider (or maybe you already did) having trusted MnGCA members host the BB events if necessary.[/quote]

Not enough time to respond right now (heading to fair!) but yes, I am in agreement. That was to be touched on in my earlier discussion, but I edited it out of that specific post. I like the idea, just need to figure out the details with the help of others.
Copaman
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't want to use this as a platform, but that was one of the discussions I had with some of the other MnGCA Board nominees.

The position of Member at Large doesn't have a lot of responsibilities, and we discussed about possibly having some of those responsibilities taking on the scheduling of events. And as Aerosmith mentioned, splitting them up amongst all the board members takes some of the pressure off one person having to do it all.

And as Aerosmith said, I too am in favor of more CITO events. I worked with the City of Bloomington to schedule a CITO event to give back to the community, and the next thing I know, the city is actually reaching out to us to ask if we'd like to help them with some of their clean-up events. I've worked with a lot of the local city governments in the past, and I've had nothing but great experiences working with them as a geocacher.

I'd like to have some more CITO events, and in fact, one of my thoughts was to have a Breakfast Buddies event at a location in the morning, followed by a CITO in the afternoon in the same area. It would once again get a positive message out to the local communities about geocaching, as well as possibly bringing more awareness to the sport.

Back to the original post, I hope I'm not over stepping my bounds, but look for

http://coord.info/GC4KJ01 coming soon. Mark your calendars for Bloomington Breakfast Buddies at taste of Scandinavia for Saturday, Sept 28th from 9-11 AM.

Last edited by Copaman on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as Copaman stated, I do not want to use this forum as a platform, but as a member contributing to a discussion with the hopes ideas are spurred for a positive outcome. I cannot speak for a board which has yet to be elected, nor am I stating how things will go in the coming months/years. That will be a group decision by the future board(s).

From the MnGCA Mission Statement: "The purpose of the MnGCA is to provide a resource for Minnesota geocachers to organize activities and events that will improve the credibility of the sport, protect our natural resources and strengthen the community of geocachers in the state of Minnesota."

Hmm, “to provide a resource” is the mission of the organization. That looks to me that activity and event planning IS a member driven function. How this could be further interpreted can show vast differences. What I would read in this statement is that members should be able to contact the organization and say “I want to have an MnGCA event at ‘X’ location”. After working out the timing and general location of the event, the board (or it’s delegated member or committee) could then assist in providing materials and a cache event page to that member who would be responsible for reserving the venue and making local arrangements. Board, committee, or appointed member oversight is important as to keep the number of events in check, as well as providing a variety of locations around our great State to keep it vibrant.

What would need to be kept in mind is that not all event requests could be honored 100% of the time, based upon timing of other events, locations, etc. There are hundreds of members, there are only so many dates we WANT to have events.

My discussion today is not a retraction of my earlier comments about board members sharing the event duties evenly. That was/is a suggestion, but as always, each board needs to decide how to proceed for the upcoming year. Is a board members presence required at each event? That is up for discussion also, but I think it is good to have an elected representative whenever possible. Board member “hosting” could be as simple as being in contact with the local member who organized the event to assure all is going well, and showing up at said event.

Yes, we were spoiled a couple of years ago with a board member who excelled with a passion for organizing MnGCA events. That is what worked for that board at that time. I think any organization needs to work with the individual member's strengths, and that is what the board did at that time. We need to remember however that no specific board seat is the event organizing committee. With the majority of the membership, and thus events, in the seven county metro area, if one office were delegated in the by-laws to organize events, it would be very difficult for anyone outside of the metro area to hold that office. I think excluding, or including a person to a particular office based upon their location is a dangerous place for this organization to go. This is the Minnesota Geocaching Association, and it is a very large state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: