MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fluffy USA Today / Star Tribune blurb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsu*noles
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Fluffy USA Today / Star Tribune blurb Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone saw this or not, but a co-worker of mine brought it to my attention - in the Sunday May 16 Strib, in the USA Today weekend insert, was the following fluffy article. Not too much content, but he thought it was cool! Enjoy,

-Ken

TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cool. "Most players leave things better than they found them." And the CITO plug!
hardware
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my chance to ruffle a bunch of feathers.

while it's nice that the article plugs CITO, and although there are some geocachers who go out of their way to pick up extraordinary amounts of trash on a regular basis, i'm convinced a majority of geocachers can't be bothered with picking up a single piece of trash on their geocaching expeditions 95 percent of the time.

perhaps i'm wrong -- it would be the second time already this year -- but evidence i see indicates that it takes a special occasion for a geocacher to pick up a piece of trash. i'm not pointing fingers, other than at myself, because i'm not a millitant CITO cacher anywhere close to 100 percent of the time, i'm just tired of the myth that geocachers and CITO go hand-in-hand.

thanks, WWPP, for the CITO containers you leave in area geocaches. one of 'em was in a cache i found a couple of weeks ago, and was put to use at a geocache site that most definitely needed a little clean up.

now that i've strayed from the topic of media relations, happy halloween!
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardware wrote:
while it's nice that the article plugs CITO, and although there are some geocachers who go out of their way to pick up extraordinary amounts of trash on a regular basis, i'm convinced a majority of geocachers can't be bothered with picking up a single piece of trash on their geocaching expeditions 95 percent of the time.

perhaps i'm wrong -- it would be the second time already this year -- but evidence i see indicates that it takes a special occasion for a geocacher to pick up a piece of trash. i'm not pointing fingers, other than at myself, because i'm not a millitant CITO cacher anywhere close to 100 percent of the time, i'm just tired of the myth that geocachers and CITO go hand-in-hand.

Even one person makes a difference. Let them continue to plug it even if only a small portion of the community does it. I guarantee that our small portion is still larger than the random population as a whole.

CAG has trashed out about 900 lbs. of trash (more than enough for several cachers), WWPP has placed some ungodly number of those CITO cannisters (I have also placed about 50).

Arcticabn and I have trashed out 40+ pounds of trash at a single cache site. I joined a group of people on National CITO day to volunteer to pick up quite a bit of trash along a state trail...

I think that putting them together makes sense...
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot, since a lot of people go for numbers, how about some way to record how much trash you trash out. That way you can keep track, get credit, etc.

I'm sure someone one the gc.com forums has thought that one up before anyways, but interesting idea.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC0GRN wrote:
Shoot, since a lot of people go for numbers, how about some way to record how much trash you trash out. That way you can keep track, get credit, etc.

The desire for high numbers has already spawned plenty of cheating. At least with caches there's a logbook. How are you going to have cachers "prove" that they actually cached X pounds out on a given day and show that their particular bag of trash is not the same one they trashed out a day before.

I think they should just let it be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: