MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

more freebies to be had...a JEEP??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: more freebies to be had...a JEEP?? Reply with quote

http://jeep.geocaching.com/

quote from MR. Irish
Quote:
This is fine.

There are two programs. The first is the sweepstakes for 3 Jeeps that will be given out this year. It's a standard drawing.

The second program is the 4,000 die-cast yellow jeep wranglers with their own custom travel bug attached. There will be a monthly contest starting June 1st through December 25th where a prize will be given for the best photo, and another award for the best essay relating to these found travel bugs.

Jeep were really psyched about promoting the activity and they wanted to create a unique concept that would allow the largest number of geocachers to participate. We discouraged the placement of caches due to the limited accessibility to find them (and the "Mad Mad World" phenomenon we've seen in the past).

We'll be distributing many of the bugs through local organizations, and another 1,000 will be available on the web site for people to request and have shipped to them for free. When we start taking requests, we'll have a section on the http://jeep.geocaching.com web site.

The current goal for these bugs are just to travel around and swap stories, but Jeep is thinking about giving some of them specific goals. If you want to come up with any ideas, I'd love to hear about them and will pass on the info to Jeep.

Rodale, the publishers of many outdoor magazines such as Backpacker, Bicycling, etc. are also involved, and are promoting the idea through these and other magazines.

HMMM can the site handle the traffic??? Wink Someone has to pay for that server farm. Might as well be Jeep.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta a funny feeling that one of these travel bugs just might show up on my desk at work and never move again.... Crying or Very sad Wink
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: more freebies to be had...a JEEP?? Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
HMMM can the site handle the traffic??? Wink Someone has to pay for that server farm. Might as well be Jeep.

I was surprised to see that jeep.geocaching.com was actually pointing to the same IP space as geocaching.com. I figured Jeep would physically host the site on their own but geocaching.com would provide the DNS forward.

WTG Jod!
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Mr. Irish on this promo...
Quote:
Also, coincidentally, the first cache was placed 4 years ago today.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: more freebies to be had...a JEEP?? Reply with quote

quote from MR. Irish
Quote:
We discouraged the placement of caches due to the limited accessibility to find them (and the "Mad Mad World" phenomenon we've seen in the past)

Translation: we don't make any money if you place caches, but we'll happily sell you 4000 travel bug tags.

The URL should be http://jeep.travelbug.com
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=70500&hl=

Looks like a board member needs to go claim our freebies...
RJ
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz This boardmember shot off an email Razz . Thanks Kitch for the notice. They are trying to send them to all 50 states and in bundles of 50-60! Now that's a lot of travel bugs. We'll see what actually happens though.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
I gotta a funny feeling that one of these travel bugs just might show up on my desk at work and never move again.... Crying or Very sad Wink

I kinda hope so. We all know that all travel bugs eventually end up in Mpls where they get stuck and circle for months. I can't imagine 4000 matchbox cars in the caches around here. It would get to be like golf balls.

"Honey, I'm just going out to do a little cache maintenance -- its full of yellow jeeps again. Could you call Arc of Hennepin and tell them I'll have a load for them to pickup tomorrow?"
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say we start a MNGCA game where you get a point for every Jeep you find and put into The Armory. When the game's over KB can move the cache 15 meters towards the road and the problem would take care of itself.

And by the way, whoever wins a Jeep becomes my new best park-and-grab buddy.

-Aaron
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what we might do with the GGA is bring many of them to our June GGA Event and give them away as prizes. I also think we are going to mail some to a few of the prominent cachers in some of the cities that are away from Atlanta that have a lot of active cachers. This will get them spread around and give more people a chance to get some fun photos of the Jeep TBugs for the contest entries.
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duh... we forget that the national peeps have an eye on us.....

they gotta know we are just joking .....or are we??
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I win, it'll save me the hassle of having to buy one--my first vehicle was a '54 Willy's CJ3 that I inherited from my grandfather, and there I times when I really miss that thing. It was all original, except for a home-made half cab, so the top speed was about 40 mph, downhill with a good tail wind, but that thing would climb a tree if I wanted it to. I'd even tipped it over a couple of times, and I was able to just push it back on it's wheels and drive off, and the dents just added character--I wouldn't be able to do that with the current Millenium Falcon ('98 Chevy Cavalier).
mtn-man
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
duh... we forget that the national peeps have an eye on us.....

they gotta know we are just joking .....or are we??

I just wanted to make sure you guys were on it as far as requesting them. I would not want to see my friends in Minniesota get left out!!!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so when are you getting up here?

Things are piling up:

something about a private tour, I think I was gonna buy lunch or drinks, the deer need some loving care, you'd be welcome at a meeting or breakfast, there's a few 100 caches you haven't logged yet .......
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I think I was gonna buy lunch or drinks

Did I hear that someone is buying drinks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: