MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

geocaching app for windows phone
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: geocaching app for windows phone Reply with quote

I am considering getting a windows phone and I'm wondering if anyone has one that they use for geocaching. I assume that there is a geocaching app, but I have never used it or spoken to anyone who has so I am throwing it out there. Any thoughts on the windows phone for caching?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Android.
A-body
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a droid, and use neongeo. It is a better app than groundspeaks app, and less money. I don't cache much with a phone because I find the gps too slow, plus many places I caches do not get phone coverage.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-body wrote:
plus many places I caches do not get phone coverage.

I have seen this statement a few times and I find it confusing.
A phone with a GPS chip should be receiving its position information from the GPS satellites. Phone coverage should be a don't care assuming the cache data is saved for offline usage. That has been my experience with the iPad and iPhone - you can turn the data plan off and the GPS has the same accuracy (8ft).

I do have an iPad that doesn't have a GPS chip - that has to be connected to have any idea where it is but its accuracy is not good (200ft+)
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
A-body wrote:

A phone with a GPS chip should be receiving its position information from the GPS satellites. Phone coverage should be a don't care assuming the cache data is saved for offline usage. That has been my experience with the iPad and iPhone - you can turn the data plan off and the GPS has the same accuracy (8ft).

I do have an iPad that doesn't have a GPS chip - that has to be connected to have any idea where it is but its accuracy is not good (200ft+)

I assume he meant for online caching.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a holdover from old phones. My old one used triangulation from cell phone towers to approximate position. When I was in Key West with all the towers in a straight line, the geocaching app showed an accuracy of one mile. : ) In the metro it would usually get close enough to find easy caches.

That said, if you customarily use your phone for paperless caching like I do it's a real horror to get to some area and not have coverage. That happened to me when I drove down to Faribault for one of the Gauntlets! No coordinates! I decided to hike anyway and when I stopped for lunch that place had signal so I was able to do the cache. Learned my lesson, now I print when I'm going on a mission, or download the caches into the Garmin.
tonkaMN
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will use my Oregon most of the time, but just want an app for when I don't have a certain cache loaded in my PQ or when I am travelling. I just want an app that will work, it doesn't have to be perfect. From looking at the gc forums it looks like the windows apps are okay, but the android apps are much better.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the geocaching app on my iphone. I rarely use it to point me to a cache, but use it instead for caching an area I wasn't prepared for. The vast majority of time I have my Oregon along so I manually load the numbers in those cases.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the groundspeak app for the iPhone and iPad.

They will overhaul the app, so it can change quite drastically when an update comes. Otherwise we haven't seen any issues with it.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never cached with a Windows phone, but chatting with those who have, I hear this works: Windows Geocaching App
BigChiefS4
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted, I thought I had you convinced to buy an iPhone?
Mn-treker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schmittfamily wrote:
A-body wrote:

I have yet to see a phone that is true GPS. They all use the cell towers to triangulate your location. Prove it to your self, go into a building with a GPS. You won't get a signal. Your GPS phone will and it won't put you in the correct place. Go out side to a cell phone dead zone, your GPS phone won't work period but your GPS unit will. I have an android and it will place me 300 feet off. Unless there are lots of towers near.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mn-treker wrote:
schmittfamily wrote:
A-body wrote:

I have yet to see a phone that is true GPS. They all use the cell towers to triangulate your location. Prove it to your self, go into a building with a GPS. You won't get a signal. Your GPS phone will and it won't put you in the correct place. Go out side to a cell phone dead zone, your GPS phone won't work period but your GPS unit will. I have an android and it will place me 300 feet off. Unless there are lots of towers near.

My Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx contains a GPS chip inside. If it doesn't then Motorola is lying in the documentation and the OS is programmed around a lie.
Mn-treker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a Motorola Droid 4.
A side note here Geocaching.com was dead for about half hour.
It just came back up. I would bet the geocaching app was dead too.
I don't have it, so I can only guess.
schmittfamily
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+4+Teardown/3130/3

Step 18 of the iphone 4 teardown specifically shows it to contain a BCM4750. That would be a stand alone GPS receiver chip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: